Long distance trips in our cars.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 05:21 AM
Little Gator will become famous soon enough
Long distance trips in our cars.

I really enjoy my 911 for its' abilities, quality, and the fun of driving it. But when I think about an idea to plan a drive more than a couple hundred miles, I can't help but start getting concerned about where to get help if I should need car help. My car has no spare tire on board which is my first issue. And not every tire store has the tire my car requires. And what if I have a slightly more model specific problem? There is just one Porsche dealership between Dallas, Tx. and Tucson, Az.. That is in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I am not so comfortable with my options and time involved should something happen, to haul the car multiple hours away to the "nearest" dealership. Am I the only one be concerned about having an non-repairable blown tire many hours away from a dealership to get what should be a 1/2 hour repair task done? Or do I bite the bullet and get anyone to give it a try and see if they can pull those wide tires off the rims without scratching them?

Old 06-28-2018, 06:40 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I bought a compact tire plug kit and a scissor jack. Obviously it’s not fool proof if you blow a tire out but good to get you somewhere for a full fix.
I have done 6-7 hourvtrips with no problem. Car is comfortable and great to just drive.
If you still have warranty you also have Porsche roadside assistance. If not and your planning an extensive trip get AAA.
Don’t be afraid to leave home.

Old 06-28-2018, 07:25 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
I don't worry about it. Like the previous post, you have or can get Porsche Roadside Assistance...

I've also never had a tire blowout in my 911's and I've been driving them for years. I have picked up a nail several times, in the rear, which resulted in a slow leak every time. I just keep filling the tire up. Regarding "service" the cars are pretty bulletproof imo.

Old 07-06-2018, 08:28 AM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tpup
I don't worry about it. Like the previous post, you have or can get Porsche Roadside Assistance...

I've also never had a tire blowout in my 911's and I've been driving them for years. I have picked up a nail several times, in the rear, which resulted in a slow leak every time. I just keep filling the tire up. Regarding "service" the cars are pretty bulletproof imo.
^this

Last time I had a blowout was over twenty years. A few slow leaks over the years (none in sports cars but rather SUVs or sedans) but none that would have ended a trip early.

I wouldn't hesitate to take mine on a road trip (and I already have!).

Old 07-06-2018, 05:00 PM
solipsistik is an unknown quantity at this point
Only had a 911 for a year or so, and I've been on multiple road trips.. with centerlocks! All part of the adventure.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:11 PM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
I did two major trips in my 2012 C2S. DFW to Western Canada and back then about three months later DFW to northern Calif., again no issues on either trip.