991.2 Over Range 5 and 6 Bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 02:19 PM
flsupraguy will become famous soon enough
991.2 Over Range 5 and 6 Bad?

I'm looking at a used 991.2 manual trans. It has over rev range 5 and 6. Should I pass on the car?

Old 07-14-2018, 04:36 PM
flsupraguy will become famous soon enough
Here's the report. I can likely get the car at a deep discount with an extended warranty.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
240 in range 6 means it spent a lot of time in the stratosphere. That's pretty conclusive evidence the vehicle saw a pretty major "money shift", i would definitely pass. Over-revs up to Range 3-5 might not be too bad depending on the car, but i would stay away from Range 6. A Range 5 over-rev on a 997 Turbo might mean as low as 7900 RPM and as high as 9k RPM so it might not be too bad considering a GT3 with very similar Mezger engine doesn't see a Range 1 over-rev until over 9k RPM.

Last edited by Harry Da Hamster; 07-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:31 PM
r11rs will become famous soon enough
Are you gonna spend time in range 6 also? track? can always use it to negotiate a lower/better price...

Old 07-15-2018, 12:10 PM
Z00mie is on a distinguished road
Personally I see this as an amazing opportunity! If you can get it deeply discounted with extended warranty, it likely would be worthwhile. The way I would calculate/consider would be, what will be the degradation in value at trade time? Determine this by asking a second dealer's opinion. If you can get a $100K car at say $75K(not realistic, but you get the idea), yeah, I'm in! Why? Because when you decide to trade/sell, you provide proof that although it was overrevved, you've owned it through the highest risk period of its life. I see the scariest period as directly after the incursion and you have been thoroughly maintaining and monitoring your car's health and there have been no negative side effects. Poof! Most of the perceived issue is negated. Anything else can be calculated out by the discount originally negotiated and any remaining warranty can be used as a safety blanket for the next owner. Cars with stories are the easiest ones to negotiate good deals on. The perceived issues are usually forgotten or don't matter over time.

Just looking at the pressures, I'd guess he miscalculated a downshift, as manifold pressure was lower than ambient (not in boost). 5th to 1st maybe?

Last edited by Z00mie; 07-15-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:28 PM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
Total operating hours are relevant
I can’t see that # on your post, but I see that the range 6 was @200 hours and the most recent range 1 was 202 hours, so I’m guessing the total operating hours is 202 hours and the money shift happened very recently. That’s not good. You would typically want a clean 100 hours of run time since high ranges.
Do you know the total operating hours?

Old 07-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Harry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud ofHarry Da Hamster has much to be proud of
One key piece of information is missing here. What is your definition of a "deep" discount? What was full asking price? And what are the comps going for? And in that "deeply" discounted price, does that include the VSC, what brand is the VSC, how long/miles/deductible? One could argue the value proposition, but without knowing those key facts, it's impossible to advise. As i mentioned earlier, i'd stay away from 240 Range 6's on such a fresh car