993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

CA Smog

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Raptor is on a distinguished road
CA Smog

Anyone had a non-OEM ECU "failure to communicate" problem on a smog check? My car (Ruf BTR new to CA) passed emissions with no problem, but the smog station wouldn't pass it because the ECU wouldn't communicate with their equipment.

AMny thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
You may have to go to an Arbitrary Station if the Smog station(s) give you lots of lip. As you may know... CA insist that ALL emission pieces must be approved specifically for California and there is a list of all the approved vendors and pieces. Smog stations , by Law, need to check for each of those components and make sure that are approved in CA. I am not sure if ECU communication is required. Good luck and keep us posted..

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
WearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond reputeWearyMicrobe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Raptor
Anyone had a non-OEM ECU "failure to communicate" problem on a smog check?
As far as I know "failure to communicate" is a instant failure in the state of California.

Most RUF BTR's are from the 83-93 give or take. I don't know when the 911 switched over to OBD I interfaces but you might have a heck of a time getting the car registered.

The state "might" have a exemption for the RUF, I know that I have seen one plated BTR-2 on the road at some point with plates. RUF as a whole was pretty good in getting there cars legal in the US. But the rules might have changed since the car was originally built.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Raptor is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. The car is a 1997 with a OBD II. Is a RUf conversion of a NA, rather than the "typical" Ruf TT upgrade. I will post the results of the process.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM
aw21 is on a distinguished road
Your readiness codes have not been reset on your car. Very common especially when the battery is disconnected at one point.

You'll have to do the BMW drive cycle to get the codes to come 'ready'. A bit tedious but it works. Ive done it myself.

DRIVE CYCLE

Just drive this twice

Start engine, let idle for approx. 2 min, 10 secs.

Accelerate to 20-30 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 3 min, 15 secs.

Accelerate to 40-60 MPH, Maintain steady speed for approx 15 mins.

Decelerate and come to a stop. Then:

Idle in Neutral for 5 mins. (manual trans.)

Idle in Drive for 5 mins. (Tiptronic trans.)

During the drive cycle, do not exceed 3,000 rpm or 60 mph.