993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

993 Valuation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:38 PM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
993 Valuation?

I've looked at the threads, but can't find the answer. Sorry in advance if it's here and I just didn't search exhaustively.

I'm likely going to be buying a '98 C2 (narrow, not wide-body) coupe with VERY low miles, from my friend, the original owner. It's literally perfect / as delivered / all factory service rigorously performed at a dealer. It's covered roughly 5k miles.

Obviously, there aren't many comps out there for this car.

I mostly want to make sure that the numbers he and I are talking about make sense and that it's a fair deal for both of us. Plus, make sure that it's properly insured once it's in my garage.

Any bright ideas?

I was thinking about reaching out to Sloan Cars and I thought that PCA had a valuation committee / valuation service, but looks as though that might have been discontinued.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 AM
wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !wpgfordguy Is a GOD !
Wow... sounds like an outstanding car. It's worth whatever he wants for it, (within reason) provided it's not bad colours / options. The odds of finding another one with 5K are slim to none. 993's are on the way up now that 911's have plateaued again.

I say $65,000 but I might be out to lunch...

Old 04-22-2014, 09:25 PM
pirahna is on a distinguished road
There are many variables. What services have been done? all records available? What options? 6spd? sport seats?

If it truly needs nothing and nicely optioned I would expect it to be $60-75k.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold
993 valuation

I paid $84K for my 97 C2S a year ago...one owner, all records from new, with 3K miles. It was exactly the car I was looking for in every regard and I willingly paid up for a perfect car. Also, I had understood that late 97's and all 98's were 'S' cars (wide body)...had no idea one could get a non-S 1998 MY. P.S. if you call Sloan, he probably won't respond, but if he does, he'll try to buy the car out from under you...keep your seller a secret. After I had done the deal on my C2S, Sloan called my seller and was indignant that: (a) the seller did not recognize who he (Sloan) was; and (b) that the car should have been sold to him because these are the types of cars he specializes in. Interestingly, I called Sloan when looking for the 993 - never got a call back - so all that goes around comes around .

Old 04-23-2014, 07:42 PM
mathfuzzy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tssci
I paid $84K for my 97 C2S a year ago...one owner, all records from new, with 3K miles. It was exactly the car I was looking for in every regard and I willingly paid up for a perfect car. Also, I had understood that late 97's and all 98's were 'S' cars (wide body)...had no idea one could get a non-S 1998 MY. P.S. if you call Sloan, he probably won't respond, but if he does, he'll try to buy the car out from under you...keep your seller a secret. After I had done the deal on my C2S, Sloan called my seller and was indignant that: (a) the seller did not recognize who he (Sloan) was; and (b) that the car should have been sold to him because these are the types of cars he specializes in. Interestingly, I called Sloan when looking for the 993 - never got a call back - so all that goes around comes around .
Thanks for the info. And to those who PM'd me.

Too bad about Sloan.

I think the narrow body coupes for 98 are actually quite rare as Porsche was trying to get rid of wide body cars.

I'm likely paying approximately $75 to $80k, which seems about right. At some level, it's worth whatever he wants for it and I'm a little concerned that this is low. It's not as though there are very many cars in this condition with this mileage.

I really miss both of the 993's that I owned. I love my 997.2, but am very much looking forward to having both in my garage. Unfortunately, I won't have the 993 in advance of the Parade in Monterrey, but am looking forward to showing the 997 - faults and all - in my first parade concourse, after 20 years of PCA membership. If you're there and see a black 997.2 Targa with a red S, please say 'hi.'

Last edited by mathfuzzy; 04-24-2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:52 AM
tssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to beholdtssci is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like you found a nice car and best of luck if you pull the trigger on the deal. We'll not be traveling to Monterey...was at Traverse City, Michigan Parade last year and will be going to French Lick, Indiana for the 2015 Parade. As to the 993, I purposely looked for a super-low mile car and obviously paid a premium for it...had I wanted a 993 to use regularly then almost any miles would have been OK and it would of been a lot less money. I've put 500 miles on the 993 in a year, so at that rate I can enjoy it for many years and still always have a very low mile car