993 Last generation normally aspirated aircooled Porsche 911. Community includes the C2, C2s, C4, Targa, C4s and cabriolet discussion.

1995 Convertible - Questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 09:22 AM
ISC5 is on a distinguished road
1995 Convertible - Questions.

Hey all...I'm in love, and it is a scary proposition.

I found this car and have a few questions.

1. Any CV or trans problems with 95's?

2. Is this car worth $42k? I want to think it is...

3. What are the #'s on the motor, if stock?

Sorry about the n00b questions. I just know this is the right place to look.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:44 AM
OK, amazing what a little searching can do.

270hp, no variocam, not as good as 96-98 993's.

That said, I still love it. There's always room for improvement under the engine cover.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
993 cabs are no match for the advancements made in 996. That's hard to dispute. 996 cabs in 02 has glass back, less blind spots, auto tonneau cover and the lines are much better top up or down.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 PM
DJ,

While I agree with you on the observation of newer vs older, there is something to be said for passion. For some reason, the 993 really does it for me. The 996, while much better in and out, just lacks that "something special" to me, unless it's a turbo or C4S. Just my opinion. I'd like some observations about this particular car...

Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
ISC5,

Understood. 993's primary potential engine issue is valve guide. The top in the pics seem to be replaced so make sure it's done at a reputable shop w warranty. Other than that, I think typical PPI such as frame inspection, brake, compression should point out any issues.

I don't think 993 cabs have roll over bars that pop up right? I'm always weary about cabs without roll over protection.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Tom W is on a distinguished road
My $0.02

'95 (and all 993) cabriolets have no special roll protection (pop-up or otherwise). Cabriolets don't suffer from anything different than the coupes do (other than top issues). There was a recall last year to fix the locking motors. The car should have documentation for the two main recalls - the wiring harness replacement and the top motors.

As a '95 with OBDI and not OBDII, the issues with check engine lights and failing smog testing are significantly reduced. Yes, they technically make a few less hp, but you get more than that variability among cars anyway. My '95 cab is no slower than most '96+ coupes in autocross or at the track.

The photo shows an aero kit and different wheels. It's up to you if this makes it worth the money. You can check Excellence , but I don't think 993 cabriolets are going for much over mid-30's.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM
DJ, Tom:

Thanks for the insightful and very informative replies. I can see a little better the rationale for suggesting a 996 if I were to continue with a ragtop.

As for OBD1, I agree with the KISS theory. Less electronics the better, especially with a car that will see loads of track time. Without the safety of pop-up roll protection, I may re-evaluate my selection of a convertible.

As for pricing, I figured it to be a bit high, but the ad suggests all the equipment is Gemballa, but does not state that the car is in fact a production Gem, so I have no idea as to what extent the car has been transformed.

I also ran across an ad for a 1995 355 Berlinetta I am investigating (another passionate choice). It will have to come down to me making up my mind as to what exactly I want out of the car. Sitting in the garage with DE's on the weekends and some commuting is where I am leaning, as it will be a third car. Making the right choice will have to calculate true cost of ownership as well.

Thanks guys!

-Ron

Old 11-29-2005, 04:52 PM
LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !LUISGT3 Is a GOD !
How many miles? $42k seems a little high for a 95.....

Old 11-30-2005, 03:56 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
Who has this car for sale?

Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM
alpine142 is on a distinguished road
I have a '96 Carrera Cab Red/Grey 53k miles $35,900.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:59 PM
dgray996 will become famous soon enough
Photos look like the dealer is cars / schmitt in St Louis (ebay). '95's are the first year of 993, and lack variocam (-12hp) vs 282hp in the '96 to '98.

My thought is mid thirties, nice looking 18" speedline wheels though.

Areo kit looks good

Old 12-01-2005, 08:57 PM
jnx
jnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to beholdjnx is a splendid one to behold
dgray, That's what I thought. Looks like Schmitt

Old 01-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Doctor K will become famous soon enough
Options and HP aside I think the car is beautiful. I passed on a 993 turbo that was like new (7000 miles) because of a lack of warranty. The asking price was 65,000 and the car was sold the following day.

Old 01-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Just a boxster?
JP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond reputeJP-S-St.Louis has a reputation beyond repute
Yea that is Schmitt in St. Louis. I personally am not a big fan of theirs but they do have nice cars come through there. They had a yellow Vector W8 a few years ago. My best suggestion is to check out the car-fax, service history and have a PPI done. Reid Vann @314-785-0057 can help. John is the service manager. I think 993 are the best looking 911 to date. This is a very HOT example. Mid to high 30's should buy it.

And if you want more power it is easy to find on those.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Panayiotis will become famous soon enoughPanayiotis will become famous soon enough
See if you can find a variocam model instead.

Also you said its going to see a lot of track time? Why not just get a coupe instead, it will be better for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1995 Convertible - Questions.