996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Removing shift knob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:57 PM
911tbo is on a distinguished road
Removing shift ****

Can anyone tell me how to remove the factor shift ****/leather gaiter?

Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 AM
Ray C. will become famous soon enough
Pry the rear side of the leather boot frame up with a flat edge. It will pop up. The **** can just be pulled straight up. Easy removal.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
You have to pull up pretty hard. I opened the sunroof and stood up inside the car, then just pulled straight up on the shifter. When it lets go, your hands will come flying up, so don't punch yourself in the face in the process.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by Ray C.
Pry the rear side of the leather boot frame up with a flat edge. It will pop up. The **** can just be pulled straight up. Easy removal.
I can unclip the base, but the **** doesn't seem to want to lift off the stick. How much force should be needed?

Old 11-09-2007, 07:34 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 911tbo
I can unclip the base, but the **** doesn't seem to want to lift off the stick. How much force should be needed?
you need to really pull hard

Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 AM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
You have to pull up pretty hard. I opened the sunroof and stood up inside the car, then just pulled straight up on the shifter. When it lets go, your hands will come flying up, so don't punch yourself in the face in the process.

I would love to see a video of what went down. hahaha. I can just see a big guy standing up inside the car, and then the boot lets go, and hits himself in the face. Hope everyone has a good weekend, and thanks for the laugh Adam. I owe you one.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 PM
I give up...even tried a slide hammer on the bugger!!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 PM
mmmmm is on a distinguished road
anyone has a picture of the mechanism that holds the shifter in place?

Old 11-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Adam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud ofAdam Bowles has much to be proud of
Seriously, open the sunroof and stick your head out...that way you will get more leverage on it and you can pull straight up. You will need to pull very hard, but it will come off if it is the stock shift ****.

The aftermarket shift **** I put on my car had a set screw in it, so if someone already replaced the shifter in your car, it may have a set screw in the front closest to the radio.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
I'm replacing the shifter on my car with a 997 unit and am stuck. I've searched the archives but have not found another unfortunate soul with my particular problem.

The new unit is in the car but I cannot get the old shift **** off the old shifter. It has a 2.5mm allen set screw that will not budge. I've twisted every allen wrench I have. Took it to my mechanic and he started destroying tools. Has anyone been faced with this and how did you finally loosen the set screw? I hate to drill it out and risk messing up the threads.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I just did my EVO SSK and my **** had a set screw. I loosened it and slid the **** off no problem.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve01tt
I'm replacing the shifter on my car with a 997 unit and am stuck. I've searched the archives but have not found another unfortunate soul with my particular problem.

The new unit is in the car but I cannot get the old shift **** off the old shifter. It has a 2.5mm allen set screw that will not budge. I've twisted every allen wrench I have. Took it to my mechanic and he started destroying tools. Has anyone been faced with this and how did you finally loosen the set screw? I hate to drill it out and risk messing up the threads.
Sounds like they may have used some thread lock when they put the screw in. Not sure what to do about that.

I was able to unscrew mine pretty easily with an allen wrench.

If you went to a mechanic and they still couldn't get it off.. I'm not sure what to say. You're going to have to get a great grip on it and lots of leverage. Not the easiest of things given the small screw and space to work.

You may need a plasma torch.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I just did my EVO SSK and my **** had a set screw. I loosened it and slid the **** off no problem.
You are lucky that your set screw was not tightened by a gorilla.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
Sounds like they may have used some thread lock when they put the screw in. Not sure what to do about that.
Will penetrating oil help to break down thread lock?

Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Steve01tt
Will penetrating oil help to break down thread lock?
I have no idea what could be used. I've broken bolts before that were in with thread lock as the heads broke off before the bolt would break free.

Maybe someone else on here can chime in as to if there's something out there to help break it down. Sorry I don't know more about this..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Removing shift knob