996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Turbo charger upgrade, Garrett vs Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Turbo charger upgrade, Garrett vs Hybrid?

Garrett Turbos vs Hybrid turbos
Ok I know I am asking this on the right forum. But as many know I am a track junkie and want/need a reliable car for track work. Must admit with the new GT3 and Z06 out, never mind the Vipers and whatnot, I am feeling the need for a little more HP!! After seeing the boost and hp increases the factory took the stock internals to in the new 997TT and new GT2 I am feeling more comfortable about jacking up the hp some. Seems that the porsche factory is comfortable doing it so as go I.
Just wondering the pros and cons of each. If one were to pick a turbo upgrade would you go with something originally produced like a Garrett or a "hybrid".
wondering the quality of each and also differences between ball bearing and cartridge type.
External waste gate vs internal for best performance.
Yes mulling over a turbo change!!
Advice and opinions accepted. Want the maximum safest turbo upgrade with stock internals.
I have the GT2 IC's, upgraded hoses and diverters. I will change intake and upgrade the fuel pump.
What is the max hp you guys on this board think is ok for a track car with stock internals?
Also willing to let my new K-24 turbos off my GT2 engine go. What are they worth and who wants them!

Seems all the top tuners are able to "tune" so I am going to first concentrate on what "hardware" I am going to go with first.

Thanks for any input suggestions and advice in advance!!

Happy Holidays!!!!

tom

Old 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Tom,

I posted this on Rennlist, too...

I'm not sure of the merits of ball bearing vs. cartridge turbos or external vs. internal wastegates, but you should seriously consider sending your K24's to Protomotive and having them upgraded to K24/18G's for 1k. Then round it out with a 5 bar FPR, Greddy boost controller and a Protomotive tune. Run lower boost at the track and higher boost on the street (if you feel compelled to). I find my car has tons of power at 1.16-1.19 bar and that is where I usually keep it.

If your feeling adventurous now or down the road, add the fuel pump, injectors, intake and MAF with a custom Proto tune and the car will really rock with quick spool and exceptional throttle response (Todd can even fine tune the program with you via email and the durametric datalogging software, so you do not need to send your car in).

Since you already have the K24's, this is a very inexpensive way to get big power. Your car will feel much stronger than with the smaller hybrids.

Just to give you an idea...DMaffo ran 10.8 @ 133 with this set-up...it's powerful and fast for very little outlay from your position.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:24 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Tom,

Power and response wise Garrett is the way to go baring the costs. The hybrids will not spool up as fast which if you want track performance is where it is at. Dollar wise, the Garretts with the external wastegates are going to cost a little more money.

Last edited by cjv; 11-24-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:57 PM
gt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the roughgt2buyer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by tom kerr

Also willing to let my new K-24 turbos off my GT2 engine go. What are they worth and who wants them!

tom
I know i want them ? I really don't know what a fair price would be.
I can work for them or something. Give me a figure i'll see if i can swing it right now with Xmas coming and all. I shouldn't spend money on myself but i really want them.....

Old 11-23-2007, 07:32 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
tom talk to kevin at umw .... have his k16s and clutch an very happy... he is extreamly trustworthy and a little less expensive give him a call steve.... compair withe alex at sharkwerks another trustworthy guy....get a few ideas and make a choice.... nothing said bad about garret just have no exp with then .

Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Craig, John thanks for the quick replies appreciate the expert advice.
Craig I was leaning toward the Garretts for the reasons you stated but I didnt think of what John suggested.
So really it would be Garrett vs K24/18's??. And then with a new GT2 motor what would be safer or more reliable?
Also what else if anything would I need to change? Will stock intake and headers be ok? I have straight pipes.
Also would the GT2 ICs be enough? What about the fuel pump?

thanks I appreciate the experience and expertise of you guys and others here and I am going with something right after X-Mas.

thanks again

tom

Old 11-23-2007, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by steve harris
tom talk to kevin at umw .... have his k16s and clutch an very happy... he is extreamly trustworthy and a little less expensive give him a call steve.... compair withe alex at sharkwerks another trustworthy guy....get a few ideas and make a choice.... nothing said bad about garret just have no exp with then .
Steve, thank you I will. Would like to just do this once till I need an engine rebuild then I will go "all the way"

thanks

tom

Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
I agree with John, have your K24's re-worked. They are practically brand new and you can save some $$$. Having said that, I love my Garrett turbo's. They spool quick and pull real strong into the higher gears.

A little smaller, but 16/24's would be great track turbo's. I put down 500rwhp on them

Old 11-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by TKDalumni
I agree with John, have your K24's re-worked. They are practically brand new and you can save some $$$. Having said that, I love my Garrett turbo's. They spool quick and pull real strong into the higher gears.

A little smaller, but 16/24's would be great track turbo's. I put down 500rwhp on them
Have to admit didnt think of that, sounds like a good place to start!!

Old 11-23-2007, 08:55 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
I think John D is on the right path. I sent my K24's to Protomotive for the 24/18 upgrade along with the other supporting mods and think the set up is great. I like the fact that I can turn up and down the power if needed and don't think you can beat the performance cost per dollar since you already have the 24's.

Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by JWC
I think John D is on the right path. I sent my K24's to Protomotive for the 24/18 upgrade along with the other supporting mods and think the set up is great. I like the fact that I can turn up and down the power if needed and don't think you can beat the performance cost per dollar since you already have the 24's.
Thanks for the input and I do like John's idea. I am not sure about the boost control thing. I would like to no be able to adjust the boost. Are there options for something like that?

Old 11-23-2007, 09:10 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
damn...you got something on your mind???

cause I do too man...I do too...

Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Arrow

TKD,

You have Hybrids from Speed Gallery I assume.
Easy to tell if you have REAL Garretts: They will not bolt to your (or my)
factory or aftermarket headers, and they will not bolt up to ANY off the shelf
exhuast be it Europipe, Fabspeed, Tubi, Milltek, etc.
I just bought a set of (REAL) water cooled ball bearing Garretts from
Divexxtreme which will require new oil lines, water lines, cutting off the flanges of
my new headers, new mufflers and some big *** external wastegates.
Tom, try some hybrids as suggested, Garretts are the best but cost a fortune to
apply (and as a result), I cannot afford them.

Tial Sport makes some cool "hybrids" for EVOMS and others but
they are not the true Garretts. (Tial also sells Garrett Turbos)
IMHO

MK

Good luck

Last edited by WOODTSTER; 11-23-2007 at 09:14 PM. Reason: To clarify that Tial also sells Garrett BB turbos
Old 11-23-2007, 09:15 PM
JWC
JWC will become famous soon enough
I would think so but if you don't mind me asking why would you not want the ability to adjust the boost pressure?

Last edited by JWC; 11-23-2007 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:21 PM
TKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really niceTKDalumni is just really nice
Yeah Wood, they are Tial turbo's. Just out of curiousity what is the benefit of "real" Garretts? Mine seem to work very well..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Turbo charger upgrade, Garrett vs Hybrid?