996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

My k16 Wastegate Upgrade Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:32 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DrivenAgain
nope, just want to make sure that when u powershift it Friday u have a good shifter behind you
Dude I tried that day and missed 3rd bad. I will powershift 1 to 2 and 3 to 4 not 2-3, I like my syncros how they are

Old 11-28-2007, 12:47 PM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
let us know your results asap cohare

Old 11-28-2007, 03:13 PM
cohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura aboutcohare has a spectacular aura about
Friday evening I will post them up!

Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 PM
jamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond reputejamie furman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by iLLM3
Make sure you arent boosting 1.1, when i did it I felt the car to be slower at 1.0-1.1 then to a steady and strong .9 wit 1.0 spike!
Are you talking about your GT2? If so how could that be?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Jamie - I think he is talking about when he had a TT.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Update - So we went back to the track today and it was similar conditions to last time. While I did not run a better ET due to my driving inability I did pick up a consistent 2 to 3 mph and a full 2 over my BEST run.

My best today was a 11.992 @ 120.8. My horrendous 60' time was over a full tenth slower than (.199) the 11.89 @ 118 and I hit the rev limiter on my shift to 2nd. So I can confidently say the wastegates added a good bit of power but did not cure my driving inability.

Last edited by cohare; 11-30-2007 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:08 AM
jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !jimmer23 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cohare
Depends on what boost you are seeing. If you already see 1.1 then I would not do it, its not worth the undo stress on the turbos.

I was only seeing .9 bar max (upsolute), this increased me to solid 1.0 earlier in the rev range with peaks of 1.1.

A lot of people with GIAC are already seeing those peaks so I would not recommend it. There is a guy on here with the GIAC and wastegate actuators seeing up to 1.4 (I think with race fuel), which I personly would not want to do on my rig.
Nice run cohare!

I got my spike problem fixed (had a vacuum line routed funny) and am now seeing 1.1-1.2 steady as a rock with no more spikes.

Arguably, anything you do in terms of mods will have some impact on longevity, even if it is miniscule. Using the wastegate upgrade in moderation, while "staying on the island" in terms of the compressor map, shouldn't make the turbos blow up tomorrow or anything... Enjoy!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by jimmer23
Nice run cohare!

I got my spike problem fixed (had a vacuum line routed funny) and am now seeing 1.1-1.2 steady as a rock with no more spikes.

Arguably, anything you do in terms of mods will have some impact on longevity, even if it is miniscule. Using the wastegate upgrade in moderation, while "staying on the island" in terms of the compressor map, shouldn't make the turbos blow up tomorrow or anything... Enjoy!
Nice glad you found the problem, that 1.4 would concern me too.

You are exactly right about the mods they are all going to put additional stresses. Hopefully when I get a decent launch I can be in the mid 11's like yourself!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
heres your run bro with my crappy camera skills
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ4WYbgZe8k

Last edited by DrivenAgain; 12-01-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:44 AM
haha, nice ground shot.

Its too bad you didnt get the terrible launch to do my lack of driving skills justice. Thanks Jason!

Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 AM
Site Sponsor
DrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond reputeDrivenAgain has a reputation beyond repute
haha, nice ground shot.

Its too bad you didnt get the terrible launch to do my lack of driving skills justice. Thanks Jason!
haha i have a few of those ground shots on this tape, i have another one of you full runs with a launch attached. Your skills are awesome relative to the amount of time you have been at this bro.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 AM
what do you mean attached?

Hey did you get my excellent camera work with the lens cap on??

Old 12-01-2007, 11:15 AM
Site Sponsor
what do you mean attached?

Hey did you get my excellent camera work with the lens cap on??
haha it was supposed to be attached to the above post, lol. yes your camera work is equally astounding brb

Old 12-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Site Sponsor
heres a full run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGybUZ81hWg

Last edited by DrivenAgain; 12-01-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 AM
thanks jason, i need to work on that launch!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My k16 Wastegate Upgrade Experience