996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clearcoat failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:23 AM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
Clearcoat failure?

I'd appreciate any advice or similar experience.

I just noticed I've lost a significant amount of clearcoat from the nose of my car in two areas (one that couldn't be covered with two fingers). Anyone run into this before?

I'll call the dealer tomorrow, but surely that's a paint failure (no damage, no impact etc. - just flaking off) and under warranty. Again,any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Old 06-01-2004, 11:49 AM
Joe West is infamous around these parts
Any chance this vehicle has been repainted?
(or... put another way; are you the original owner?)

Joe

Old 06-01-2004, 11:59 AM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Originally posted by Joe West
Any chance this vehicle has been repainted?
(or... put another way; are you the original owner?)

Joe
Very good question!

T

Old 06-01-2004, 12:07 PM
DaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the roughDaveH is a jewel in the rough
Got it from new with no miles on it. Certainly no evidence of a re-spray or replacement nose that I can see. Christ, that would be something. I just can't understand how it could have failed, and in more than one place. Absolutely no evidence of foul play etc. - and again, no damage to the car, just peeling off.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:23 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Did you polish the area prior to loosing the clear?

It's VERY easy to cut through the clear coat, especially on the convex areas of the car.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:36 PM
Another good question - but no. In fact, I noticed it when I went to wash the car. Doesn't sound like this has happened to anyone else - I've certainly never come across this before in the last 4 years of owning 996s.

Old 06-01-2004, 10:05 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Do you polish your car by hand or do you use a power orbital polishing wheel??? Orbital polisher's = bad in my opinion especially for everyday polishing. If you have scratches or swirls and are trying to buff them out on occasion, that's one thing. Frequent use of a power buffer is very very bad for the life of the clear coat...

Old 06-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Frequent use of a power buffer is very very bad for the life of the clear coat...
I agree.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:41 PM
Never used an a buffer on it. Always by hand, and no funky Kmart products! I'll see what my friendly dealer has to say - I fear they may shrug their shoulders. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether this would be considered a warrantied paint failure, or am I SOOL?