996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Best uprated brakes for 996 tt

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
I think Dan at Vivid is on track with the 6-piston monobloc Brembos recommendation (with slotted 355mm, not drilled rotors) for the front. I just purchased that combo from him. IMO, the stock TT rear brakes are completely adequate with good pads. I have gone with PFC 97 compound front and rear. The 97 doesn't bite so hard initially that it activates the ABS and is supposedly very kind to rotors. Not many companies at this point are making pads for the 6-pistonBrembo/355 slotted rotor combination. I had to get them custom made by Porterfield Enterprises. They have all the PFC compounds from which to choose. I know some seem to like the 01 compound, but I felt it perhaps a little too aggresive for my current driving style.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
I had Brembo's on mine, front and rear. Love them. I've done Brembo's on a ton of customers street cars and had few to no complaints. If your out in FL we'll be happy to take you for a spin and see what 996TT does with Brembo's front and rear.

Titan Motorsports also sells the Brembo's if interested.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:33 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Al Norton
I think Dan at Vivid is on track with the 6-piston monobloc Brembos recommendation (with slotted 355mm, not drilled rotors) for the front. I just purchased that combo from him. IMO, the stock TT rear brakes are completely adequate with good pads. I have gone with PFC 97 compound front and rear. The 97 doesn't bite so hard initially that it activates the ABS and is supposedly very kind to rotors. Not many companies at this point are making pads for the 6-pistonBrembo/355 slotted rotor combination. I had to get them custom made by Porterfield Enterprises. They have all the PFC compounds from which to choose. I know some seem to like the 01 compound, but I felt it perhaps a little too aggresive for my current driving style.
Al I agree, going to give Dan a call in the am!!
I felt the same as you about the rear, how much more do the rears add??

Old 12-13-2007, 10:39 PM
SpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura aboutSpeedYellow has a spectacular aura about
Cracked...

Originally Posted by aracerx
Hey Speedy Yellow-That post CRACKED ME UP!!!!! luvit. You obviously have been to the track and watched the stock brakes go "south".keep it up dude. Letterman look out
Porsche makes a killer brake system stock. Even the PCCB's don't add anything unless you're outright racing all the time.

Best of luck but it's better to do suspension suspension suspension and when you have flashed the car, burned it up, gone for rods and etc. plus bigger TBO's and then running 600+WHP ~ THEN brakes matter but even for the street, you don't get much better than stock unless you plan on repeatedly slowing down from 180MPH which is pretty easy to do with 700 crank HP.

$4K is nothing to spend for brakes. I'm currently doing $4-6K just to do 2nd and 3rd gear in STEEL with aftermarket mods that ELIMINATE the factory defective popout condition.

When I go from 3% leakdown (current average) to 10% I'll go for new cylinders and HUGE ball bearing turbos + Carrillo's but for now, 550TQ is enough for killing anything assuming you have driving skills and enough suspension. Do brakes when you have already faded your current set. Almost impossible on the street even with consistent abuse.

Get the brakes ONLY if you're doing track days exclusivly. Otherwise, put the extra money into MOTONS and maybe unbolt the exhaust running straight pipes off of the CAT's: Then use all 500 of the stock HP/TQ available from a SIMPLE flash. You max that and kill the brake system on a 996TT, then do the brakes.

Last edited by SpeedYellow; 12-13-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Al I agree, going to give Dan a call in the am!!
I felt the same as you about the rear, how much more do the rears add??

I didn't even price the rear ones as I felt the stock config. is adequate for DE's which is all I do. Your needs are somewhat different. Be aware that the big Brembo system I bought will not fit any stock 18" wheel. You need 420mm ID for the barrel to make this work unless you machine the mounting bracket a little bit to bring the caliper assembly inwards toward the axle. I had to do that with my after-market wheels BC I had only 418mm ID.

The brake kit comes with new steel braided lines and some street pads from Ferodo. I have a tracing for the backing plate for the pads I can e-mail you if you decide you want to have some custom pads made as I did. In addition, I have the shop drawing from which you can derive all the clearance needs on every axis. I can also give you pricing and the phone # for the place that did the custom pads for me. You may want to choose a more agressive compound like the PFC 01 but I felt it might give too much interference with ABS at initial application of brakes since the 01 has a lot of initial bite. I will track this new system next month but in the bedding process which I did on the expressway the pedal modulation felt very good to me. I could clamp them right to the threshold just before ABS takes over and tease into it delicately and I like that.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Bro... the stock GT3 brakes DO NOT out break the Brembo kit. Sorry....

Ireland, give me a ring.

Al - you will be happy

Tom - you know the number

Speedyellow - you are right about suspension, but these guys are past that point. If the car was bone stock, upgrade that first if you are track racing.

hey Nero, keep Titan out of my posts unless you are a sponsor of this board. I am glad you own Titan, but have some respect...

Last edited by vividracing; 12-14-2007 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:20 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Well I've had a number of issues with brakes over the 10 months I've owned mine. I've upgraded the pads to Pagid RS29 yellows, higher temp fluid (motul) and brake cooling ducts. the 13inch stockers work ok, but I'm using up a LOT of pad material in the front. Not to mention the fact that the rotors are running about $360 per pair mailorder, and the pads are about $275-300 per pair for the front. I want to get to a two piece rotor/6 puck 350-355mm setup if it'll last longer and the consumables cost will be better... And I HATE crossdrilled rotors. They heatcheck bigtime and are a huge mistake for tracking. I've had them BREAK on other cars.

I'm all ears...
Mike

Old 12-14-2007, 10:45 AM
DynamicMotoring is infamous around these parts
Man, I jumped on this one a little late... the BEST upgrade is actually the 380mm kit, not the 355.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:49 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Guys what are your Rotors/Discs?

Would love to see a pic to see if they are same as mine, I have the Brembo Floating Disc, noisey as **** when cold.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
380, will not get under the stock Turbo Wheel.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
titannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nicetitannero is just really nice
Dan you do a good job of marketing and selling and run a good company. Titan is a sponsor of this board, the banner should be up tomororow. Also to clarify this was not your post, I would never go into your section and solicit your customers, this was a post by a member in a general section.

Thanks and have a great day!

Originally Posted by vividracing
hey Nero, keep Titan out of my posts unless you are a sponsor of this board. I am glad you own Titan, but have some respect...

Old 12-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
The 380mm kit is good but you have to run 19" wheels. The only 18" wheel i have seen with the 380 is the 9ff wheel using center lock. Slotted is the best for track, drilled looks cool. Also the Brembo 355 kit will not fit under the stock porsche wheels. Caliper height clearance not rotor.

Nero, have fun.

Old 12-14-2007, 01:29 PM
only a small pic, but are these similar to the Brembos you guys have?

Attached Images  
Old 12-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor
Those are say Porsche on them? Those are not brembo rotors either. This is the front 6piston monoblock

Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM
Dan, this is a Brembo Rotor (the one i'm running) Parr Motorsport UK run these on their GT3's

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best uprated brakes for 996 tt