996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Why is Upsolute 1/2 the $Cost???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:38 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mikelly
My car was making 510WHEEL HP/532#ft. of torque with the Upsolute tune/K16-K24 turbos/X50 intercoolers, Bailey DVs and a modified factory exhaust. I'll dyno my car after the new year and I guarantee I'll have picked up significant HP across the board on the chart and will be surprised if I don't max out at above 530 WHEEL HP (I don't factor BRAKE HP because its to subjective).

Anyone living in my general area is more than welcome to come experience Kevin's tune in person. You WILL be humbled. I was. Remember, two weeks ago I had the upsolute with the same setup I'm running right now. Other than the 5 bar fuel pressure regulator and new actuator springs, the software is all that's changed.

Mike
Now wait a minute Mike, you are playing down (non-intentionally I'm sure) the other changes you made at the same time you changed software. Your situation is not a direct comparison between Upsolute and UMW programming.
1- The 5bar FPR adds a good amount of fuel over stock. This not only adds a bit of safety to prevent going lean but also allows for more power (the ECU pulls less timing due to non-stochiometric conditions, etc).
2- Upgrading WG actuator springs improves spoolup and power under the curve significantly and has been shown to make a big difference with any software.
It doesn't mean your UMW is not outstanding...it's just that those two variables are very significant. Had they been done with your Upsolute tune then you would have a solid comparison.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:21 PM
leslie is on a distinguished road
Drone

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
My numbers are for k16's (Wooosh's dyno data is k16 data, umw, stock exhaust). The tune was for 93 gas. 550hp and 530ish ftlbs with a stock exhaust and turbos....that is amazing stuff (crank numbers, with only 18.5% loss). Look at the data and curves from woosh (see his post #45 in the modified oem exhaust thread...). Here are his plots. This is his work. And, he is guru at dyno...wheel data afaik. Look at run 12 (red line on the left...). Look at the torque. Then, look up at the upsolute post of dyno. It is vastly different.

This is the basic issue people. For variability sake, the UMW numbers may all be better, but even if the peak numbers were exactly the same, look at the fall from the peak value. Kevin, notably, never posts numbers and such. He correctly realizes this kind of argument is pointless. I think Mikelly's offer is the best reason to trust the gestalt I am trying to share. But, these are the data. The run 12 data is for a big TJW mod exhaust. The lowest stuff is the stock exhaust. The UMW data is amazing. Just amazing. Until you have been in a car with the software, don't assume anything. I have been in four upsoluted cars and none are nearly as powerful as my car. And they all had fabspeed or similar exhausts save one with stock exhausts. One sounded lousy (really old evo unit that never could get sold on eBay....).

I have a TJW mod exhaust. No drone. You can do this for 50$.... I do plan to get an exhaust next...probably John D's. (nice job John!)

A wise person told me that my next issue may be not the exhaust and stock cat...but the intake plenum/filter....who knows. I am so happy right now with the car. It is a dd and absolutely a blast to drive in open country and in heavy traffic. It is just right, if you will. I am making the interior a bit "cooler" with some custom work. That is it.

Again, happy holidays.

JB
Hi JB,

Just want to ask you how you managed to get rid of the drone from your exhaust.

I have Europipes 2 in mine but problem is that its a tiptronic and so gives more drone cos it stays in that range most of the time. Tried sound insulation in the rear passenger compartment .. improved about 30%.

Leslie

Old 12-23-2007, 09:45 PM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by leslie
Hi JB,

Just want to ask you how you managed to get rid of the drone from your exhaust.

I have Europipes 2 in mine but problem is that its a tiptronic and so gives more drone cos it stays in that range most of the time. Tried sound insulation in the rear passenger compartment .. improved about 30%.

Leslie
See the TJW mod...it is OEM with a hole. If you want to trade, pm me. You send me yours..then I'll send you mine. I'll cover shipping up to 400$. ;-)

(joking aside....the TJW mod is quiet -> see the modified OEM exhaust thread on this forum TTommy started it....jcb-memphis and Woosh ...TJW...)

PO added dynomat too....audiophile. Probably 15lbs more to the car....someday if a track car I'll have to remove it. For a Tip, epquiet is supposed to be ok. I live at 2500 rpm or higher most of the time....to be honest. Lower is not "drone" in that you don't feel it in your gut, but it is not a nice sound like at higher revs. I suspect we have a definition thing going on....drone to me is ear pain causing vibration....low frequency stuff.

JB

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 12-23-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
Anyone with a web link showing this software flash is $700?

Thanks...

Old 12-24-2007, 05:16 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
You're correct, so much so that you're gonna regret it...

Technically, the wastegate springs were adjusted to allow 1.2bar of boost with the upsolute program, so I wasn't having issues with the springs, but Kevin recommended them, along with the five bar FPR. I don't have the "NEW" springs dialed in to give me 1.2 bar of boost yet (Remamber? only 1.0), and still the car feels like I've picked up massive amounts of power. The kind of power other vendors claim with an exhaust and airbox swap...Power that I can absolutely feel everywhere in the rpm band.

Many months ago, when I talked with upsolute about my tune, I got zero guidance or advice... Didn't know anything about the 5 bar FPR, or wastegate springs or even what they'd do for my car... Nothing, NADA, ZIP, ZILCH!

You get what you pay for with that $700 tune!

Kevin sold me the tune, and advised me I needed the 5 bar FPR, the wastegate springs, and even mentioned that for the road course stuff I do larger intercoolers might be a good idea... He gave me suggestions based on my intended use, and then strangely enough he tuned the software to maxemize the results, giving me a "true" custom tune, based on my intended use. I got no advice from the boys at Upsolute... Well, that's sorta not true... Their response to me via email and phone was "If you're not pulling any codes, you're fine! Don't worry!"

Merry Xmas gang!
Mike

Originally Posted by roadsterdoc
Now wait a minute Mike, you are playing down (non-intentionally I'm sure) the other changes you made at the same time you changed software. Your situation is not a direct comparison between Upsolute and UMW programming.
1- The 5bar FPR adds a good amount of fuel over stock. This not only adds a bit of safety to prevent going lean but also allows for more power (the ECU pulls less timing due to non-stochiometric conditions, etc).
2- Upgrading WG actuator springs improves spoolup and power under the curve significantly and has been shown to make a big difference with any software.
It doesn't mean your UMW is not outstanding...it's just that those two variables are very significant. Had they been done with your Upsolute tune then you would have a solid comparison.

Last edited by Mikelly; 12-25-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996TTDave
Anyone with a web link showing this software flash is $700?

Thanks...
http://www.upsolute.com/ubbthreads/s...8950&Main=8912

Mike

Old 12-26-2007, 12:39 AM
leslie is on a distinguished road
drone

Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
See the TJW mod...it is OEM with a hole. If you want to trade, pm me. You send me yours..then I'll send you mine. I'll cover shipping up to 400$. ;-)

(joking aside....the TJW mod is quiet -> see the modified OEM exhaust thread on this forum TTommy started it....jcb-memphis and Woosh ...TJW...)

PO added dynomat too....audiophile. Probably 15lbs more to the car....someday if a track car I'll have to remove it. For a Tip, epquiet is supposed to be ok. I live at 2500 rpm or higher most of the time....to be honest. Lower is not "drone" in that you don't feel it in your gut, but it is not a nice sound like at higher revs. I suspect we have a definition thing going on....drone to me is ear pain causing vibration....low frequency stuff.

JB
Just saw your TJW mod thread...you guys are scary awesome!
Well, for me the definition of drone is the boomy "sound" in the cabin around 2 to 2.4k rpm range which is where I spend most of my time on local roads. Outside the range its gorgeous. Ya, I've been told EP 2 is not meant for tips, only for manuals. The dynamat helped a lot...now livable. But stil haven't found the best compromise for great sound and no drone/boom for the TT tip.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 AM
rolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to beholdrolfjahn is a splendid one to behold
If you don't mind me asking, How much does the UMW Kevin tune cost?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:21 AM
I paid $2095 for the hand held programmer, the valet tune and the 93 Octane Performance tune, and retain my factory tune as well. The Race Gas file is an extra charge. I'm unsure if this was a holiday special or not, so contact Kevin... And YES it's WELL WORTH the cost, 3 times the Upsolute price, and I shoulda done it sooner.

Mike