996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Upgrade to 997 turbo brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:25 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Mike,
Once we get all these 997 details confirmed (especially rear axle stuff), we should add in this newer info to your thread...

The good thing is that we are exploring new options to expand choices!

I may be the guinea pig for bolting on actual 997 GT3 calipers if I can find a set. Also, we now know that the rotors are the same between 997TT and GT3's on the rear!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:48 AM
ThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud ofThePunisher has much to be proud of
Good info, thanks! I confirmed that the rear rotors for 997 GT3 and TT's are the same part number so that should bolt on no problemo...

The Rear caliper you are running-did it come from a Turbo or a GT3? The calipers do have different part numbers listed but not sure if there is actually truly any difference?

Also, the 08 and 09 Turbos have a different rear caliper part number than the 07's... Likely identical but interesting that they changed it nonetheless... Also a different part number for PCCB's but that's probably just paint color!
I can give more informations about the rear calipers:
In a first time i had the red calipers (coming from a 997 turbo) but i have recently changed them with the yellow calipers (coming from a 997 GT3) ... and yes, exactly, different numbers ... same calipers !
To be precise i must say that the only difference between the 2 calipers is in the ending part of the pot (the part that touches the brake pads) ... in the red is metallic while in the yellow is ceramic.
Maybe the ceramic part allows to keep lower temperatures in the brake fluid ... don't know ... just my idea !
And even if i have all the PCCB calipers i'm using without problems steel rotors ... they fit perfectly !

Old 08-23-2008, 02:14 AM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kato
Mike,
Once we get all these 997 details confirmed (especially rear axle stuff), we should add in this newer info to your thread...

The good thing is that we are exploring new options to expand choices!

I may be the guinea pig for bolting on actual 997 GT3 calipers if I can find a set. Also, we now know that the rotors are the same between 997TT and GT3's on the rear!
You are not a guinea pig, many have done this including myself, if you would just read back on some of the brake threads.

Old 08-23-2008, 04:46 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Kato, Let's keep it all in that thread. Scott made it a sticky and it's really good that a couple of others are starting to dig into the parts numbers to see what is and what isn't going to work... Also Check with Steve at Suncoast on the part numbers for those front calipers...

Mike

Old 08-23-2008, 04:50 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Kato, Let's keep it all in that thread. Scott made it a sticky and it's really good that a couple of others are starting to dig into the parts numbers to see what is and what isn't going to work... Also Check with Steve at Suncoast on the part numbers for those front calipers...

Mike
A little of topic, but….
Mike, you recently mentioned you are replacing your suspension bushes. Which ones are you replacing ? Have you a supply source you can share.
Cheers

Old 08-23-2008, 06:04 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I'm working with a couple different sources. One is a mechanic local to me who works on the flying lizard race team. I'm hoping to get some of their end of year parts inventory for cheap. We'll see... The vendors here have and will continue to be a great source for parts and I appreciate their support.

What I know I'll be replacing right now:

Upper shock mounts (already have the fronts thanks to one of our members)
Adjustable Toe links/Lock plates
Rear motor mounts
thrust bushings
Bump steer links
Solid bushings in the lower control arms

What I've already got:
H/R sway bars
Tarred rear drop links
TRG Front drop links
PSS9s - plan to send out for re-valve/new springs over the winter
AP rear dogbones
GT3 control arms/shims

I'm running 2.9 negative front and 2.5 negative rear, touch of toe in out back and slight toe out to neutral in front.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 08-23-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Kato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really niceKato is just really nice
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
You are not a guinea pig, many have done this including myself, if you would just read back on some of the brake threads.
That's even better news. I don't want to be the guinea pig and apparently I'm not which is great! I've actually poured over almost every brake thread that I could find as I've been doing my research (for weeks). I haven't found these details that we are discussing here nor has anyone (that I could) find looked into and posted up details on fitment from 997 applications including GT3's (other than the rotors from TT's). Somebody started this thread and I've jumped in to learn and I'm trying to give some details back to save somebody some hassle in the future.

Again, that's what's great about these forums! Thanks for everybody's input.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by ThePunisher
I can give more informations about the rear calipers:
In a first time i had the red calipers (coming from a 997 turbo) but i have recently changed them with the yellow calipers (coming from a 997 GT3) ... and yes, exactly, different numbers ... same calipers !
To be precise i must say that the only difference between the 2 calipers is in the ending part of the pot (the part that touches the brake pads) ... in the red is metallic while in the yellow is ceramic.
Maybe the ceramic part allows to keep lower temperatures in the brake fluid ... don't know ... just my idea !
And even if i have all the PCCB calipers i'm using without problems steel rotors ... they fit perfectly !
Thanks! That's exactly what I was hoping to hear!

Old 08-23-2008, 12:40 PM
996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute996TT_STEVO has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Kato
That's even better news. I don't want to be the guinea pig and apparently I'm not which is great! I've actually poured over almost every brake thread that I could find as I've been doing my research (for weeks). I haven't found these details that we are discussing here nor has anyone (that I could) find looked into and posted up details on fitment from 997 applications including GT3's (other than the rotors from TT's). Somebody started this thread and I've jumped in to learn and I'm trying to give some details back to save somebody some hassle in the future.

Again, that's what's great about these forums! Thanks for everybody's input.

Tom Kerr even posted pictures of this caliper set up recently

Old 08-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Yup, pics were posted in the recent "post pics of your brakes" thread started by Dan/Vivid.

Mike

Old 08-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by 996TT_STEVO
Tom Kerr even posted pictures of this caliper set up recently
Excellent, I just found his post. I hadn't come across that one yet.

Thanks for the lead!

Now to find the parts and slap it all together. Hopefully Protosport will release their slotted rotors for the front (350mm, 997TT spec) and I'm good!

I should have news on that next week and will post (and ask Mike to post in the sticky thread) so others can be aware of the option if they are going down a similar path...

Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mr2guysingh
No. A lot of people like the steel rotors better then the ceramic ones, so they swap them out.
Is it a stock swap or are special rotors/pads required?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:15 AM
PCCB was a stock size upgrade for those cars who had it as an option EXCEPT in the Turbo. The turbo had another code, and I'm not sure what that included. Was there a special "HAT" for the turbo PCCB rotor, or did they simply use the GT2 uprights/hubs along with the GT2 PCCB??? Dont know the answer to that one.

Mike

Old 04-09-2011, 01:34 PM
petporcheman is on a distinguished road
as far as a 2006c4s, i know the gt2 calipers and 997 rotors bolt up with out any problems but is there a difference in a 997 turbo rotor and 996 gt2 rotor? i think a gt2 real caliper is the same as a c42 caliper but has the 1mm spacer built in for the 350 rotors. does anybody have knowledge of this?

Old 04-09-2011, 04:33 PM
kkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to allkkilmore89 is a name known to all
My father has them done on his car. They are actually bigger. Barely fit in the wheels themselves. heres the pic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgrade to 997 turbo brakes