996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT3 Front caliper upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:20 PM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Is the spacing for the 350 mm rotor the same as the stock? Ie,the caliper would just have to be "moved out" from the carrier to fit the larger diameter rotor, or would you have to offset the caliper side to side at all?? Is the rotor thickness the same? I think if it is I will make up some spacers and run the larger rotors with my stock calipers.

Old 01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
On the 997 Turbo rotor the spacing is identical, which makes them a perfect "non-mod" swap with a GT3 caliper.

With the two piece setup I bought, you need to have the hats and rotors made by a custom chop like coleman racing in order to match everything up the first time. Then you just replace the outter rotor and rotor bolts.

Mike

Old 01-30-2008, 07:32 PM
fly2low can only hope to improve
I just put on the full front and rear GT3 setup this weekend. Got the setup from UMW. 350 F &R, single piece rotors. Straight swap out - no hastle. There is a difference in stopping power. Only problem is they are yellow and will be hard to hide from the sig other

Old 01-30-2008, 07:47 PM
silvershark will become famous soon enough
Pads

Originally Posted by Adam Bowles
Looks great Shark!! I just ordered the same thing, but my pads look different. I got the OEM GT2/3 Pads...which ones did you get?
I exchanged them for the:
RS 4-2-1 Black PAGIDS

A high performance compound with low fading characteristics and high cold friction. The most comfortable medium friction sport compound. Rotor friendly and OE on various Ferrari, Lamborgini, Lotus, Bugatti and Corvette (Callaway) models. Suitable for street and light track use.

Last edited by silvershark; 01-30-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:29 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mikelly
Dez, when I called Coleman, they said to send them an OEM rotor and tell them the "style" (I specifically spoke about slotted) and type of venting and they'd get them back to you in the right offset/two pieces for under $500 each. The Outer rotors replacement are about $175 each and should last for a lot longer than the cheese graters...

Mike

I called them too and got the same answer. Has anyone used them before to confirm the quality of their product?

Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
Dez, They used to be one of my suppliers when I was building control arms for a suspension kit I used to sell to Datsun owners. The Folks at Coleman and Stockcar products both will bend over backwards for you. Good folks with a solid reputation.

I've been a customer of both since the 90s. Don't know why I didn't think of them sooner when I was trying to get away from the cheese graters...
Mike

Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I called them too and got the same answer. Has anyone used them before to confirm the quality of their product?

good company, when I had my shop we got tons of stuff from them for the roundy round cars, nice people.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Couple of questions.

Are caliper bolts neccessary every time you change rotors?

I'm going from 996 GT2 Rotors to 997 TT rotors.

What's the time frame on changing rotors. I have some that arent quite dead yet and want to know if I should just go ahead and run them out or change now before VIR, either way it'll be last minute as my new rotors wont be here till wednesday.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:10 PM
996TT MAVERICK will become famous soon enough
Spacers..

Has anybody come up with a spacer so we can use the oem caliper and fitt 997 tt 350 mm rotors rear?

Old 04-05-2008, 11:54 PM
I may be about to ditch my GT2 front setup.

What's the best option for:

Shaving weight
Solid slower cracking rotors
FUROTIOUS stopping power

??????

I'm thinking stoptech.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Dez, I'd swap your hubs to GT2 units and go with the PF Floating rotor combo on your existing calipers.

Mike

Old 04-06-2008, 07:03 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
I may be about to ditch my GT2 front setup.

What's the best option for:

Shaving weight
Solid slower cracking rotors
FUROTIOUS stopping power

??????

I'm thinking stoptech.
Just curious, why? Any problem you have found?

I am thinking of going a 6pot setup at the front (these days I found that I can't stop my car ) and would like to hear your experience ... or even take those calipers off your hands!

Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Making spacers for those rears to work with the 996TT calipers is cake. Use a 1/2inch X 1inch piece of T6061 or better aluminum flat stock and the 997TT caliper bolts. Drill the aluminum stock to the proper diameter and you're good to go!

Mike

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
johnsosn is on a distinguished road
Silvershark,
I see from the photo that you weighed the six pot.How does that compare with the four pot?
Regards
Simon

Old 04-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Pierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura aboutPierre996TT has a spectacular aura about
Question

Originally Posted by johnsosn
Silvershark,
I see from the photo that you weighed the six pot.How does that compare with the four pot?
Regards
Simon
me+ ?

Also, which pads did you install on the REAR.

Last, had you had any problems of noise or/and cool temp braking issues when pads & rotors does not get operation temperature with the RS 4-2-1 Black PAGIDS (Early morning kid running out in a bike …. braking situation)

Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT3 Front caliper upgrade