996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Diverter Valve - which is best?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 AM
deandob is on a distinguished road
I'd be interested in a group buy if it is OK to ship outside the US of A.

Doing a bit more research, apparently the 110 is the one to get, not the 114.
http://forums.modulardepot.com/power...tml#post528703

A little cheaper here:
http://www.thepartsbin.com/repsite/s...e~reparts.html (same bosch part number)

Last edited by deandob; 02-06-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:37 AM
nerdhotrod will become famous soon enoughnerdhotrod will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by deandob
I'd be interested in a group buy if it is OK to ship outside the US of A.

Doing a bit more research, apparently the 110 is the one to get, not the 114.
http://forums.modulardepot.com/power...tml#post528703

A little cheaper here:
http://www.thepartsbin.com/repsite/saab~charge_air_bypass_valve~reparts.html (same bosch part number)

Audi part number - 06A 145 710N

Old 02-06-2008, 11:20 AM
rcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud ofrcalcaide has much to be proud of
No need for a group buy, they are only $38.96 at Autohausaz.com

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...A%20145%20710N

Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Seal Grey Matte
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Bailey valve the same design as every other billet aftermarket valve? It's a metal piston in a metal cylinder with a spring behind it. If not properly lubricated, the piston can seize in the cylinder. Why would a Bailey valve not need servicing when all other billet valves need servicing?

The stock valve uses a rubber diaphragm, so there is no metal to metal contact to be lubricated, hence no servicing.

I don't know about you, but once I put replacement valves in, I NEVER want to take them out again. That's why I think the Bosch part is the best option.
I'll correct you.

No, it uses a plastic piston. No service needed.

Back in 1999 we had just taken delivery of our Audi A4 1.8T test car and knew the valve was a weak point. With the help of a good friend, Mark Quigley, we found Bailey. After a barrage of tests, and testing every other valve on the market, we kept going back to the U.K. made piece.

As if their customer service and lifetime warranty were not enough, it was the fact that it did not have to be opened and greased that pushed us over the edge.

As for the latest Bosch valves, they still fail. I laugh when I read about users claiming they are the salvation. Here is a pic of the diaphragm and what happens when they go bad. It's simply a poor design. It's probably cheaper for Porsche, Audi, and VW to just keep replacing these then to spend the R&D time and money making a new valve. I imagine they are paying pennies for these.

WILL YOU SEE A POWER GAIN FROM A DV?

No. This is simply to replace a known problem on your car. Can a failed DV cost you power? Yes. We did a dyno test and found you can lose and get power back.

See our website for more info. I hope this helps clear the air.
http://awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/p...IL=BaileyValve

Old 02-06-2008, 12:30 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
i have baileys on mine and im very happy with them. by the way mike how is everything ?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmym3
i have baileys on mine and im very happy with them. by the way mike how is everything ?
Everything is great!

Business is boomin'.
I'm always smiling.
We have some awesome things in store for the 997TT market.
I can't keep 997 GT3 systems in stock.
My times at the local gokart track are falling.
All my jeans still fit me perfectly.
My son is healthy.
And I FINALLY decided on a new outdoor gas grill.

How is that for a response?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:51 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
Mike,
Has anyone ever sent a failed or seized bailey valve back to you?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:53 PM
Former Vendor
Mike,
Yup. Lifetime Warranty from Bailey.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Seal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to beholdSeal Grey Matte is a splendid one to behold
But I could go through 4 Bosch 110 valves before I match the price of a Bailey valve. That's a pretty good built in value right there. I have not heard of very many 110 or 114(710N) failures. I've probably heard of an equal amount of 110 failures as I've heard Bailey failures. Ah well, without real statistics, I guess we'll never know.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor
Mike,
Actually, let me clarify.

We have never had one come back seized.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor
But I could go through 4 Bosch 110 valves before I match the price of a Bailey valve. That's a pretty good built in value right there.
Your average Porsche owner would never stand for that.

They are also not like S4 owners where they are under the hood every weekend and logging constantly.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM
That was a hypothetical. I don't think I've heard of four total Bosch 110 valves failing anywhere, let alone 4 on one car. If a bailey valve fails, you have to replace it too, no?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Former Vendor
That was a hypothetical. I don't think I've heard of four total Bosch 110 valves failing anywhere, let alone 4 on one car. If a bailey valve fails, you have to replace it too, no?
Sure, but trust when I tell you there are FAR more Bosch DV's failing then Bailey Valves.

Keep this in mind also. With shipping and duty needing to be paid to bring the Baileys in, it would make more financial sense to sell the Bosch. We would make more money if we did.

But we don't. Why? Because they fail.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm curious why I am not reading about many Bosch 110 valve failures on the boards. When parts fail, people like to complain about it. A search on Audiworld reveals very few Bosch 110 failures. By the way... I'm not making any money off this either.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Perhaps we could agree on a set of facts though:
1. Bailey Valves have failed
2. Bosch 110 Valves have failed
3. Both Bosh 110 Valves and Bailey Valves are FAR less likely to fail than the stock 996TT Bosch Valve.
4. Bailey valves cost ~$160
5. Bosch 110 valves cost ~$50
6. Bailey valves have a liftime warranty
7. Bosch valves have no warranty

Old 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
nerdhotrod will become famous soon enoughnerdhotrod will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Sure, but trust when I tell you there are FAR more Bosch DV's failing then Bailey Valves.

Keep this in mind also. With shipping and duty needing to be paid to bring the Baileys in, it would make more financial sense to sell the Bosch. We would make more money if we did.

But we don't. Why? Because they fail.
To be honest...I have seen far more Bailey's fail then the uprated bosch valves.

Now factory bosch valves vs Bailey is a different story.

There is no doubt in my mind that Bailey's is a huge improvement over stock. I just dont believe it much better if at all better then the Audi 710n valves.

At the end of the day they will both do a great job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Diverter Valve - which is best?