996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Vivid's JIC Cross Suspension Package (Pic)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 07:01 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Hamann7
Look at the suspension setup under the GT2 'RSR' conversion thread.

He has 997 RSR uprights with custom A-arm links, toe links, RSR subframe, JRZ race shocks, 2 piece rear control arms, etc.

That's what you call a serious suspension. The JIC/Cross stuff is nice and cost-effective, but it's amateur stuff compared to that level. Prices are also different as well, as it's probably over 10 times the cost to put in all those Porsche Motorsport and ERP components.

However Mark, if you want handling to match your power, it's the only way to go... however, the suspension alone with labor and proper setup will probably cost you at least half or more of what you spent on your Proto stuff. Real RSR box uprights are over $30K, parts only.
Really??? How does this comment make sense to the OP???

You compare a nice entry level suspension set up to a best of the best no holes barred most expensive suspension in the world??

I mean really!!!!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Robert@Redline
Sure:

GT3 front a-arms and brake guides. GT3 Cup rear lower control arms and GT3 rear brake ducts guides. GT3 rear subframe solid bushings. Rear TRG toe link with OEM front turbo tie rods. OEM 993RS engine mounts.

The GT3 front a-arms allow more camber adjust with the correct caster placement of trailing arms. OEM GT3 rear subframe bushings reduce movement of rear suspension and they are much cheaper than any aftermarket offerings. Rear GT3 Cup control arms allow more camber adjust, has solid inner bushings and trailing arm bushings. I choose TRG rear toe links for the build quality, they are needed because of the extra adjustability of rear toe. They also eliminate needing to adjust toe with the OEM eccentrics with is a joke. And finally, 993RS rear engine mounts. The 996 turbo powertrain is very heavy, we have found when tracked...the stock engine mounts would allow excessive movement causing the rear move. When we tried the 993RS mounts, it made a huge difference.
Can you say overkill for 99% of us with this car!!

Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
Sure:

GT3 front a-arms and brake guides. GT3 Cup rear lower control arms and GT3 rear brake ducts guides. GT3 rear subframe solid bushings. Rear TRG toe link with OEM front turbo tie rods. OEM 993RS engine mounts.

The GT3 front a-arms allow more camber adjust with the correct caster placement of trailing arms. OEM GT3 rear subframe bushings reduce movement of rear suspension and they are much cheaper than any aftermarket offerings. Rear GT3 Cup control arms allow more camber adjust, has solid inner bushings and trailing arm bushings. I choose TRG rear toe links for the build quality, they are needed because of the extra adjustability of rear toe. They also eliminate needing to adjust toe with the OEM eccentrics with is a joke. And finally, 993RS rear engine mounts. The 996 turbo powertrain is very heavy, we have found when tracked...the stock engine mounts would allow excessive movement causing the rear move. When we tried the 993RS mounts, it made a huge difference.
I agree fully

but are you sure the Gt3 has solid subframe mounts or are they just firmer

Last edited by SMR; 02-16-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:47 PM
Robert@Redline is on a distinguished road
^^ Yes, they are solid on the GT3 and your GT2. The part numbers are not the same however, because the subframes are slightly different between the GT2 and GT3.

Last edited by Robert@Redline; 02-16-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Robert@Redline is on a distinguished road
Some pictures.

Last edited by Robert@Redline; 02-16-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Banned
derek k is on a distinguished road

don't really need them the rear also because there is hardly any angle difference when adjusting the swaybar.

This is not the reason i am referring to.

When doing the corner balance, getting your cross% will no doubt put your ride heights a bit different from L to R. This will create a little bit of pre-load on the bar when you go to put the end link back on, hence, an adjustable link would be nice.

same applies to the front, i see that the mount is adjustable but an adjustable end link would be much more user friendly.

The kit is nice as is, no doubt!! On a rubber mounted street car this stuff isnt really a big deal.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 AM
evo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the roughevo911 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

bump on this kit this is good stuff for the money!!!! the pillowball mounts saved me alot of hassle my PSS9s would click and clank when i turned the wheel, dunno if thats common but the car came with them they were awful i switched to this and love em!!!

Originally Posted by docdan
Hi all,

I just wanted to share a picture of some of the parts I just received from Vivid Racing. I ordered the 996 Turbo Suspension package which included:

1. JIC Cross Coilover suspension
2. Agency Power Adjustable Rear Control Arms
3. Agency Power Rear Sway bar links
4. H&R 24mm rear adjustable sway bar

As you can see from the picture, the build quality and precision of these parts are apparant. Check out those camber plates! I had these installed by Doc's Grrrage in Lexington, SC and had it aligned and corner balanced by the good folks at Autometrics in Charleston, SC. They were impressed with the build quality as well.

I have yet to take possession of the car, but Autometrics set it up to the same specs as their Porsche Cup Car. I also upgraded my rotors to the Porsche GT3 Cup Rotors and Pagid Yellow pads. I am running GT2 calipers on the front and stock turbo calipers and rotors on the rears.

One controversial piece of equipment in the whole package is the front droplinks. As you can see in the picture, they are not as beefy as the rest of the components. Some 6speed members have reported breaking their front droplinks.

Dan from Vivid Racing has been very helpful during this whole process. He has reassured me that none of his customers, inlcuding himself, have had these droplinks break. Nonetheless, in 30 days, he will have available to me some new heavier duty droplinks to replace the ones above.

Thus, apparantly the fly in the ointment has finally been extracted. I can't wait for my next track day. The folks at Autometrics assured me with the new suspension and brakes, the car will perform like a whole new beast.

I will keep you guys posted!

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 AM
SMR
SMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the roughSMR is a jewel in the rough
^^ Yes, they are solid on the GT3 and your GT2. The part numbers are not the same however, because the subframes are slightly different between the GT2 and GT3.
Okey nice to here

But i haver read diffrent on rennlist so i do not know what to belive any more..

Maybe i need to remove them to see

Old 02-27-2008, 04:25 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by tom kerr
Really??? How does this comment make sense to the OP???

You compare a nice entry level suspension set up to a best of the best no holes barred most expensive suspension in the world??

I mean really!!!!
Ummm... well let's see... someone did ask what other parts were necessary to make it "completely right"??? Well 1BADGT2 provided the best answer with his GT2 RSR project.

I find it funny that people are willing to waste tens of thousands on worthless turbo upgrades and engine mods while doing very little to their suspensions.

The best of the best suspension components are worth every penny for me. That's why I've chosen the vast majority of these parts to be fitted to my car.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:27 AM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 will become famous soon enoughHamann7 will become famous soon enough
Robert@Redline, why do you use the TRG toe links instead of the Porsche Motorsport 996 Cup Mk.2 toe control links? I find it pretty difficult to beat the PM stuff in terms of quality.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 AM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
not 100 percent sure but I believe the trg toe links have right side and left side reveresed threads so fine adjustments can be done much easier. someone correct me if not correct.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Hamann,

Probably becuase talking to/ordering from Porsche Motorsport is like trying to
get ahold of the Premier of Lichtenschtein...Not easy or fun!

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
anyone havea close up picture of the JIC droplinks?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by unvmym3
anyone havea close up picture of the JIC droplinks?
here's a couple left and right.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up

TRG droplink time! My JIC's broke immediately upon install . these TRG's have been bomb.

S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Vivid's JIC Cross Suspension Package (Pic)