996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Those with DoubleDin Stereos/Navi - Preventing Theft Solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:18 PM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
Those with DoubleDin Stereos/Navi - Preventing Theft Solution?

So guys I just got my Pioneer Avic-Z2 installed in the car a few days ago. I couldn't be happier, the head unit is AWESOME. After messing around with the features like the hard drive and bluetooth I began to get a little paranoid.

The face is obviously not detachable... so what is my solution to preventing theft? There are too many *******s/haters/thieves out there that will steal your **** in daylight so I'm trying to think up a solution. On my truck I used to just throw a hoodie over the dash when I parked on a shady street but obviously this car will attract much more attention. I noticed some people just attached a piece of plastic to cover it while its parked but just seems a little obvious (I'm not saying my hoodie idea was any better).

Does anyone have any real recommendations/solutions to this problem. I have a few other friends who have this problem and no one has found a good solution. Some have tinted their windows as much as they can so people can't see much inside to begin with. I don't have my windows tinted, I personally just don't like tints but I'm starting to consider them even if they are slight.

Here is a quick camera phone picture I took. Sorry its dirty and blurry but I'll get some better pictures up. Valentine One is getting hardwired tomorrow too.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't it seem a bit curious that you buy a car that attracts all sorts of attention just sitting at the curb....then you install a high end radio....and are now worried about how to keep it from getting stolen?

We buy these beautiful machines, then hemorrhage internally every time we take it out for a drive...worried about door dings, getting keyed, getting jacked....wheel caps and badges getting stolen, people leaning against it. I guess the most viable solution is to buy a Miata then quit worrying about it. My wife got so she wouldn't go to dinner in the Porsche becasue I wanted to sit next to the window to make sure it didn't get banged keyed, or dinged. We buy them for enjoyment then spend an ungodly amount of time worrying about them. I decided to quit worrying....and left the stock radio in it. I'm actually enjoying it now that I made that decision. Either learn to relax and take reasonable but not **** precautions to park it in the best location, insure it with a zero deductible to cover everything that could happen.... or leave it home. Where's the enjoyment if you have to worry all the time.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 AM
DYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to allDYL 911 is a name known to all
I was asking for a solution Chuck lol, I don't freak out when I have the car parked on the street. I would just like to know what type of solutions other people have come up with to prevent theft of a stereo like this. I'm not worried about door dings or getting keyed, given I do take the normal precautions but from buying the car I already accepted the fact there will be battle scars. Same problem I had with my M3 (probably worse now) when I bought it new in 2004, the door must have been dinged 10 times at least. Anyway if you have a better solution besides "go buy a Miata" I'm all ears. Its normal for me to worry about what I have, and trust me that does not stop me from enjoying it.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:41 AM
997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !997TurboTom Is a GOD !
tint windows 20%. Get a black plastic cover with velcro. Attach some wires to hang out of the cover so it looks like your radio is already stolen

Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 AM
kcphuah will become famous soon enoughkcphuah will become famous soon enough
Can you please tell me do you need to trim the climate control unit in order to fit it into the lower slot? I have a Z1 and installer is telling me he has to do some custom work and install the head unit. And also what kind of bezel are you using to fit your Z2? Much appreciated if you can share some info. Thanks.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
tint windows 20%. Get a black plastic cover with velcro. Attach some wires to hang out of the cover so it looks like your radio is already stolen

This works for me.... And the price is right.

I once had a talk with a car thief and he said these care are not the best cars to steal...too rare and attract attention......honda accords were his target. He also said most guys skip manual tranny cars....many cannot drive them.

My car is lojacked too. ....the fancy radios can often have antitheft codes added....etc. Bottom line, it is just a car. If it gets stolen, I'll fix it or get a better car.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
AboxsterS is on a distinguished road
Just a quick question, do you have Bose in your car and if so, did you have to rewire to the speakers? tia

Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Roffle Waffle
I think I am gonna end up getting the windows tinted. Thats not a bad idea at all, I might just have to make one of these things and see how it looks. Have you done it? Got a pic?

Originally Posted by kcphuah
Can you please tell me do you need to trim the climate control unit in order to fit it into the lower slot? I have a Z1 and installer is telling me he has to do some custom work and install the head unit. And also what kind of bezel are you using to fit your Z2? Much appreciated if you can share some info. Thanks.
The climate control unit fits easily in the lower slot. Porsche has an OEM Navigation unit, if u see this u will also notice that its positioned in the same exact place where mine is positioned. I went to my local Porsche dealership and paid $5 for the trim piece for the AC in the lower position... its part number: 996.552.339.00-01. Very easy to move, just disconnect, move, and plug back in. Your stereo guy does not have to do any crazy custom work. The only thing he will need to cut is the trim that goes around your double din which is easy as hell and done everyday.

Originally Posted by AboxsterS
Just a quick question, do you have Bose in your car and if so, did you have to rewire to the speakers? tia
I may be wrong but I believe only 2003+ cars with Bose need to be fully rewired. I have a 2002 Turbo with Bose and I did not have any fiber optics so I didn't need to do any extra rewiring. Hope that helps.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:40 AM
hey kcphuah i hope u caught the part no. u were looking for