996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Questions about 996 TT Modifications...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:11 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Questions about 996 TT Modifications...

Hello guys...

I recently joined this forum...I think its the best Porsche forum that i've looked so far...I love cars and love making them better and faster...

I have 550whp 211 E55...and looking to get nice low miallage 996 TT rightnow...I think next right logical step after fast sedan...

I race a lot on the streets and sometimes on the track but we dont have any proper tracks in Russia...Many nice powerfull cars here and competion heating up...everything from Mercedes to Veyron...

I am looking to get a 996 TT and build a beast ot be able to compete with big boys:

LPE Z06 650HP
Viper SC 800 HP
ENZO (FXX mods)
CGT Gemballa
SLR Evotech (724 HP)
997 TT 4.0 liter stroker 700HP
Ford GT TT by Henifers 1000 HP
M6 TT 730HP G-Power and so on...
LP 640 (Muira Corsa 720 HP)

Those are the cars that arriving this spring...that I know off, not talking about Skylines and Evos and STi..we have 8-9 sec car here...but they not drivable in everyday...

Anyways I need you help and adivce, please educate ME and tell which route your think I should choose to be able to get best results..

I think I would be looking at 800 WHP + I can run without cats anyday and yet I wanna reliable package that I would be able to drive during the summer and enjoy it everyday, cuase if it brakes here, I am not sure who is going to be able to fix it...We have Porsche tuners who do some minor engine mods to 600-650HP but not 1000HP car...

Is car with 800whp + which are build properly still reliable ???

1. Which tuner I should choose Promotive, Evoms, UMW ??? and why ???

Looking at this site I've heard many positive reviews on Promotive... looks like they are the only one who specialize in building such a beasts...but may be I am wrong...??? Advice and can someone hook ME up with them ???

2. What mods would need to be done ???

Engine, tranmission, driveterrian, wheels, suspension ???

3. How much money would it cost approximately ???

I know Evoms 800 Kit costs around 40k...

4. How long building such a beast might take ???

5. Having around 800WHP +...Can I still keep AWD ???

Is there stronger axles availible and do it need to re-build a transmission and change gearing ???

6. Do you I need to loose weight on the beast and how it can be done ??? and much can we loose ???

I think I might still wanna keep rear seat jsut in case I wanna take my kids with ME...

7. Which car should I choose as a donor...996 TT or 996 GT2 ???

I know GT2 is rear wheel drive only...but may be you would reccomend to go 2wd...not sure how the car takes off or hooks up with all this power at the wheels ???

8. If I am looking to build such a beast...I am obvisouly looking at whole engine re-build right ???..

In this case does cars millage matters or NOT ???

Since I would need to replace all internals and most of drive terrrain and transmission parts anyways right ???

9. Should I stay AWD or 2wd with all this power if I wanna run in 1/4 mile but on regualar roads ( we dont have VHT or proper track here yet)...Most of the 4wd car take off from WOT...so they fly off the line...I am thinking of putting slicks later for official racing...

Would I be able to run low 10s or high 9s with AWD ???

10. Also I like to have nice interior... I would be looling to get CF interior and steering wheel... is it the best option ???

If I want to have Nav system in my car and better interior..does it means that I need to buy later 04-05 models ???

Sorry for a long topic... I would really apriciate your help and advice ...and looking forward in participating in this forum...I promise nice vids with Enzo and GT TT if my dream will come true

Thank YOU !!!

Mike

Old 03-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Pechka911 is infamous around these parts
Hello my fellow contryman!

I also live in Moscow and have gone the same route that you are going to take. I have a 570 HP 911 turbo done by Edo competiton using hybrid 24/26 turbos and only 1 bar boost.
In september I wanted to start a winter project and tune my 911 to 800+ HP.
Thanks to this great forum I have picked up a lot of useful info and here are my thougths:
800+ HP is acheivable on our cars but requires a significant engine rebuild + it will definately in everyday drivability i.e. Lag will be quite high. When I was calculating my mods budget I ended up with something like 75K$ but that with parts sent to Moscow and labour done here (there are capable people). However since it was my everyday(every evening) driver an issue of reliability was quite significant for me.I also track my car and Higher HP would not give me a significantly better result considering the slow tracks we have here.
As you know the drag times in Russia are a bit slower than the US ones (due to crappy tracks and tarmac) and in order to Run in the 9's on a Russian track you would need well over 800HP. With my 570 HP and the car being a convertible - the best I ran was 11.8 and my 60ft times were terrible due to no grip (on normal PS2tires). In terms of donor I would 100% take the GT2 because considering the rear angine and the LSD it hooks up quite well.
Considering all the above I decided not to touch my 911 and went and bought a Heffner Twin Turbo Ford GT that I believe will be quite hard to beat by any modded 911
But being a 10 year porsche fan it would be very interesting to have a very high HP 911 here and maybe it will be my project for next winter with a 996 GT2 and I will be happy to help you with any questions you have. In terms of whom to chose - All 3 tuners that you have mentioned are top notch and make great cars - so it is more a personal matter - who you like more (imho)

God Luck!
Alex

Old 03-25-2008, 04:29 AM
GT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really niceGT RUS is just really nice
Privet Sasha,

I know you from BMW forum...I am M5 RUS there

Thanks for you help and suggestions...Thats is why I wanna buy 996 TT in US and mod it from the start there...much easier imho...

I dont know how GT TT will hook up on our road with such power...That it why I am consider AWD 996 TT...but if I cant have AWD with all that power...I will definately look into GT2....

Anyways it nice to meet you here and I would be looking forward to have fast ride in your beast...once our weather and roads get better especially when ENZO arrives !!!

This is our secret OK !!!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Are you guys both drinking my home made Polish Vodka LOL from reading the original post I thought I was drunk LOL

I have one of those 850+ rwhp Porsche. No they are not daily drivers like you say it.
They require a decent amount of personal care so if you do not have a private mechanic that knows how to change spark plugs every 3K miles you will have problems as leaded race gas kills the plugs. And that is just the beginning....
And if are planning to be very fast forget about "nice" interiors... you need to take weight out and not put it back in...

hear is how it is from the inside:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gCXtYudo9jM/default.jpg

and here is how it is from the outside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLSysligeF8

but to get to that you will have to spend $80K (if not more) in tuning plus $25K in weight on savings plus suspension/axles, etc... This is not a cheap project...

in my opinion, get a ready made 600 to 700 rwhp car ready to go( save time and money) without all the problems. I waited a year for my car to be built.. others even longer... there are still only a handful of such cars... so who knows what the limits are... and how reliable....
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 03-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Kaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud ofKaizu has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GT RUS
I race a lot on the streets and sometimes on the track but we dont have any proper tracks in Russia...Many nice powerfull cars here
Let's start a company...we should make a full lenght race track somewhere in Russia!? In many countries building new tracks is about impossible because all the environmental permissions and the noise limits etc. Perhaps it would be easier there and there would be a very high demand for a good race track?

I know you from BMW forum...I am M5 RUS there
Oh...So you are the infamous M5 street racer against the MTM tuned Audi RS4...That's a crazy video!

To your original question: The recommended way like Markski mentioned is some 700-800hp package with built engine internals. That should be ready to drive and quite stress-free. 1000hp++ is usually achieved with temporary boost settings and crazy C16 fuel etc. so after a long engine build when you are finally finished you don't have a daily driver at those power levels.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:26 AM
Pechka911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MARKSKI

in my opinion, get a ready made 600 to 700 rwhp car ready to go( save time and money) without all the problems. I waited a year for my car to be built.. others even longer... there are still only a handful of such cars... so who knows what the limits are... and how reliable....
markski

Mark is 100% right. But 600-700 Hp will not serve his purpose. With that HP he will not be faster than the cars that he has mentioned in his post. That is the exact reason why I went with the Ford GT TT project. 933 RWHP on pump gas and STOCK internals (only 17PSI boost) and perfect everyday drivability.

About racetracks:

I manage quite a large fund of money, my shareholders love cars and some do porfessional rally. We have considered racetrack projects for investment - the Best case yield was around 8% which is extremely low for that type of investment in Russia - without media and government promotion of motorsport it is not worth it.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:31 AM
No Vodka man...Whisky...

Mechanic to change spark plugs is not a problem...

How much power does you car make on regular fuel ??? Or you can only run on race gas ???

I will only use race gas on some offical races...may be once or twice during the summer...

So you cant drive you beast everyday..too much lug ???...I only need it in summer and not everyday...most on the weekends...

I want all the power but doesn want to loose luxury..If I wanted to be the fastest I would get one of those cazry 1500-1900Hp Viper but I dont want that...I nice package that will crazy fast and yet drivable and realible and plus has some luxury left..so I dont want to loose weight...and spend 25k on it...

I wanna know where is this POWER LINE...After which the 996TT becomes undrivable daily and that I have to wait years for the car to be done ??? 750-850 HP ???

What about 2wd or AWD ??? Can I still keep AWD for this power ???

Will 2wd 996TT or GT2 will still be able to hook up and launch good off the line with 750-850HP ??? I never driven 996TT with that much power...

and lastly where can I find nice 700whp 996 TT ???

Originally Posted by MARKSKI
Are you guys both drinking my home made Polish Vodka LOL from reading the original post I thought I was drunk LOL

I have one of those 850+ rwhp Porsche. No they are not daily drivers like you say it.
They require a decent amount of personal care so if you do not have a private mechanic that knows how to change spark plugs every 3K miles you will have problems as leaded race gas kills the plugs. And that is just the beginning....
And if are planning to be very fast forget about "nice" interiors... you need to take weight out and not put it back in...

hear is how it is from the inside:
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gCXtYudo9jM/default.jpg

and here is how it is from the outside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLSysligeF8

but to get to that you will have to spend $80K (if not more) in tuning plus $25K in weight on savings plus suspension/axles, etc... This is not a cheap project...

markski

Old 03-25-2008, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Kaizu
Let's start a company...we should make a full lenght race track somewhere in Russia!? In many countries building new tracks is about impossible because all the environmental permissions and the noise limits etc. Perhaps it would be easier there and there would be a very high demand for a good race track?

Oh...So you are the infamous M5 street racer against the MTM tuned Audi RS4...That's a crazy video!

To your original question: The recommended way like Markski mentioned is some 700-800hp package with built engine internals. That should be ready to drive and quite stress-free. 1000hp++ is usually achieved with temporary boost settings and crazy C16 fuel etc. so after a long engine build when you are finally finished you don't have a daily driver at those power levels.
Yes its ME...I was young then...and I think you are right about 1000HP..If they only get 1000hp with race gas...I would quite happy with 850HP on 93 fuel )))...

Does Evoms 800 and 850 Package work on 93 fuel ???

Which tuner should I choose ???

Regarding 1/4 track:

Land is quite expensive now, espeacially on the outskirts of Moscow and there is much of it availible...Project will not be commercially efficient...Unless, you dont mind to wait 10-15 years...

Old 03-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by Pechka911
Mark is 100% right. But 600-700 Hp will not serve his purpose. With that HP he will not be faster than the cars that he has mentioned in his post. That is the exact reason why I went with the Ford GT TT project. 933 RWHP on pump gas and STOCK internals (only 17PSI boost) and perfect everyday drivability.

About racetracks:

I manage quite a large fund of money, my shareholders love cars and some do porfessional rally. We have considered racetrack projects for investment - the Best case yield was around 8% which is extremely low for that type of investment in Russia - without media and government promotion of motorsport it is not worth it.
Are you going to drive GT TT with slicks on here as well ???..

I've tried with MT Et Street and it was scary especally in wet...only at track...for road you would need road tyres imho and they wont hook up as good Hoisiers..or whatever they called...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 AM
MOST IMPORTANT thing:

If I get 750-850 package with all internals re-build...DOES millage really matters...may be I can consider higher miallge 996TT or GT2 and then if I do this kit the engine is going to be basically NEW ???

Would I have brake it in again ???

What about transmisson and axles...Do I need to get then as well with this power ???

another thing (may be I repeat my self) SHOULD I get 996TT and make keep AWD or go RWD conversion or get GT2...

Is GT2 really worth this extra 20-25k over 996TT if I plan to make this beast very faaast...or better get cheaper 996TT and mod it from the start...and keep AWD ???...

I heard GT2 with 700HP is quite tricky to drive...you need to be carefull all the time...Where us 996 TT AWD give you mosre comfort and transfers power better to the ground...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 AM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
MOST IMPORTANT thing:

If I get 750-850 package with all internals re-build...DOES millage really matters...may be I can consider higher miallge 996TT or GT2 and then if I do this kit the engine is going to be basically NEW ???

Would I have brake it in again ???

What about transmisson and axles...Do I need to get then as well with this power ???

another thing (may be I repeat my self) SHOULD I get 996TT and make keep AWD or go RWD conversion or get GT2...

Is GT2 really worth this extra 20-25k over 996TT if I plan to make this beast very faaast...or better get cheaper 996TT and mod it from the start...and keep AWD ???...

I heard GT2 with 700HP is quite tricky to drive...you need to be carefull all the time...Where us 996 TT AWD give you mosre comfort and transfers power better to the ground...
Most of the high hp cars on this forum have converted to RWD. There is only one car which I believe is keeping AWD and that is Highhats. There is a thread regarding RWD conversion that you shuld take a look at.

Unlike the E55 crowd it seems that the P-car crowd doesn't like to race from a dig, only rolling starts. I think this might be due to gearing as the P-cars 1st gear isnt that quick IMHO (at least relative to 2nd and 3rd).

So in comparing the 996TT to the GT2, I think the main differences are:
1) RWD vs AWD
2) PCCB brakes (this is an option on 996TT)
3) better suspension (but who cares unless you plan to track the car)
4) No spare tire

Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by SleeperX
Most of the high hp cars on this forum have converted to RWD. There is only one car which I believe is keeping AWD and that is Highhats. There is a thread regarding RWD conversion that you shuld take a look at.

Unlike the E55 crowd it seems that the P-car crowd doesn't like to race from a dig, only rolling starts. I think this might be due to gearing as the P-cars 1st gear isnt that quick IMHO (at least relative to 2nd and 3rd).

So in comparing the 996TT to the GT2, I think the main differences are:
1) RWD vs AWD
2) PCCB brakes (this is an option on 996TT)
3) better suspension (but who cares unless you plan to track the car)
4) No spare tire
Thanks Frank..good points...but I want to be very fast off the line !!! SO i would need to keep AWD but I am scared that the diff and trans wont survive for long with hard launches off the line, especially if you lanch from turbo zone...and with RWD iwith this crazy power it would probably be impposble to launch fast off the line ???

I dont know I never driven high power 996TT or GT2

Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 AM
SleeperX is infamous around these parts
I could be wrong, but I have to believe that a high HP 996 TT converted to RWD is slower in the 1st 20-30 feet than it was as a AWD car. Just my hunch, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 AM
They must be slower cause they cant hook up...but do they ctachp fast after that is the question ???

Old 03-26-2008, 04:47 AM
Common people...elts get this thread going..I need more thougths and options !!!

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions about 996 TT Modifications...