996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

First true standalone for 996/997 completed by Switzer Performance Innovation!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 02:29 PM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
I don't like your songs.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I don't like your parasol, Paulina!

BTW, how is that candy and sand treating ya?

Old 04-05-2008, 03:09 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmym3
how is he negative ? hes just speaking the truth and obvioulsy he knows something you dont ? a true standalone i thought anyway didnt need the stock ECU for it to work....and its a direct replacement of the stock ECU....maybe theres something im missing here...
This board is very political and drama laced, the reason Todd and Tym rarely post on here. I don't have to be political, since I have no horse in this race.

The way Tym has the cars running, there is no similarity to a piggyback. Just because there are two ECU's physically in the car doesn't define a piggyback. What Tym did was brilliant and technically very challenging (yes Marski with Todd's help....and an impressive piece of hardware....and no one is trying to hide that fact).

Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
So check out this video that Tym recently made on a customer car...the weather finally broke for a day in lovely Cleveland and SPI was able to put about 100 miles on a brand new 997 with the first working (and affordable) standalone option to hit the Porsche market!!!

All of the complex factory systems are functioning....ABS, PSM, PASM...etc. Everything works. Too bad he didn't include the video of the PSM flashing everytime he went WOT in 1st gear

Listen to the throttle response and boost recovery on the 3076's too! Amazing. His custom lightweight flywheel and clutch package is also showing perfect daily drivability along with motorcycle like revving.

Tym and crew have just cracked the surface as to what will be possible this year now that we finally have a standalone option....great job guys!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkg2EMpPeeA
DAMNNN that throttle response is nuts, similar to my GT2's with RUF's LWFW clutch setup and low clearance turbo's, but even faster As I always said its a must do in these turbo porsche's.

BTW awesome info and news to hear for the people interested, big feat indeed for the Porsche tuning world!

BTW x2 that car sounds NUTSSSSSSSSS, absolutely ridiculous setup, I want it!

Last edited by iLLM3; 04-05-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by unvmym3
how is he negative ? hes just speaking the truth and obvioulsy he knows something you dont ? a true standalone i thought anyway didnt need the stock ECU for it to work....and its a direct replacement of the stock ECU....maybe theres something im missing here...
I would think that there are functions in the stock ECU that control certain things such as the ABS, PSM, etc. Have also heard from others there are quite a few things the ECU controls but not sure on what. Havent seen a pinout of the ECU.

Piggybacks use the stock ECU... they just alter the signal that the ECU sees

Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI
I commend Tym for taking on this project as well... BIG TIME... in the end it probably will be a very viable set up... But isn't it Ironic how Protomotive has to numb the "Stock ECU" in order to take advantage of the other ecu? And with that said, I thought a stand alone is a direct replacement for a stock ecu.... if so why then are we dealing with 2 ecus? stock and after market?
I thought that is called something else....
let's see and wait what the developer tells us before jumping the gun.... maybe its not finished yet....

best,
markski
Exactly what I was thinking along with a few others that will remain nameless.Good job of getting it to work nonetheless.

Old 04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jags911tt
I HEAR U BUT I STILL WANT TO KNOW THE DYNO NUMBER. TOO MUCH DRIVER ERROR IN THE RUNS
With 60-130 runs; driver error, alititude, incline/decline, shift speed, etc...can all be accounted for when analyzing the graphs. Dyno errors can not. Thus, as helpful as dynos can be for the purposes of tuning...60-130 runs are a much more accurate indicator of true power.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 04-05-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:28 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Wow, this is a huge project. Congrats to all involved. Looking forward to hearing more.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
I very much agree with Divexx above.
Dynos can be manipulated (if desired) and are so different even day to day.

0-300 KPH or even better is 100 kph to 300 kph for measuring REAL power to the ground. I think that this Switzer car (and some of his other creations) will be a refreshing jolt to the Porsche tuner world. Options can be good for everyone.

MK

Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 AM
SinaJoon5 is infamous around these parts
very nice.. truely jealous

Old 04-06-2008, 07:09 AM
Former Vendor
Tym Switzer is infamous around these parts
Thanks to all that have been encouraging and positive about what we are doing with this platform. I am noticing quite a lot of skepticism and cynicism on some of the posts. I want to make it perfectly clear that whether anyone supports what we are doing or not, it won't change that fact that we are going to continue with our development. With that said, I thought I'd take a moment to list some of the features and reasons for why I've implemented this tuning strategy on this platform.

Complete fuel and ignition control - We are not limited by the factory ecu modifying our calibration strategy when it sees something that it feels is out of bounds.

Defined protection - I set the levels of protection and reaction as I see fit. In some modified race engines for example, the factory knock detection can be too sensitive and cause the ecu to become very reactionary causing a drop in power. On the dyno, this may not become a limiting factor, but in a more aggressive set of operating conditions it can.

Defined feedback - I am able define what the ecu is adapting to, when and why. Unlike many of the existing stand alones that you are familiar with, we are able to employ many of the same features that the stock DME is programmed to possess and then some.

Let me quickly list some of the features since I'm running short on time:

-Complete fuel and ignition mapping
-Knock control strategy programming biased towards performance
-Auxillary injector control
-Boost management by gear and or time
-Hi/Lo octane mapping - select for the fuel you're running and your boost and timing curves are instantly adjusted along with boost limits
-Ability to tune alternative fuels (i.e. E85)
-Intelligent Nitrous control
-Antilag strategy, launch control
-Wideband control (full load closed loop available) with expanded range over oem lambda sensors 7.00:1 - 23:1 afr. OEM Lambda sensors are typically more biased toward the lean end of the scale because that is where their interests lie... we are concerned with tuning more in the rich scale, so this is important to us when we are trying to aquire full load high boost tuning data.
-Methanol, alcohol, water injection control and management
-Fuel pressure monitoring and calibration adaptation... we monitor actual fuel pressure and use the data to initiate protection and adaption.
-Exhaust back pressure monitoring and adaptation... we monitor the pressure differential across the engine in order to tighten up the full load calibrations. This data is also very helpful at analysing turbocharger selection and boost targets.
-EGT and auxillary sensor implementation... we can add a number of additional thermocouples to the system for data aquisition if necessary.
-Fast, real-time logging of tuning parameters while tuning.
-Fault coding - unlike many aftermarket tuning solutions, we can employ protection strategies and defined reactionary steps to protect the engine in the case of a lean condition, fuel pump failure, oil pressure loss, overheat, knocking, etc, etc, etc. Completely defineable.
-Ability to add features as we see fit. As we have already employed, as we define a new requirement we can add the code to produce the desired feature.
-4 available CAN bus curcuits for future use and feature integration

Our tuning strategy does not employ a "piggyback" configuration as many of you would define it from past experiences with other add-on systems. It is inappropriate to assume that we are using hardware to modify the factory inputs in order to confuse and manipulate the DME into producing the desired result.

We have redefined the factory DME's roll from a complete systems standpoint in order to retain the remaining factory systems in the car. I can assure you, however, that I can and have run the cars completely on our hardware and could do so in a full race application without issue or reservation.

I hope this helps some of you understand what we are actually doing.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
What I have learned is that standalones allow for much higher tuning resolution. For example, The F-CON V Pro with its 32x32 resolution for both fuel and timing maps. I have one on my G35 and the result was an incredibly smooth running motor.

What are the resolution maps for your system, Tym?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 AM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Tym
Question, if you are using Todds help how will you work with a car that has already been flashed by GIAC or UMW etc?

Old 04-06-2008, 08:40 AM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by robmd99
Tym
Question, if you are using Todds help how will you work with a car that has already been flashed by GIAC or UMW etc?
It appears that Todd Knighton helped him get the Bosch Motronic DME to "handshake" with his standalone, which is no small feat. I don't think he will require any specific tuners help with a previuously tuned DME. It shouldn't make a difference if the DME is "tuned" since the DME will not be controlling any aspect of the engine. The standalone will relegate the DME (tuned or not) to controlling other car funtions, and those functions are left alone by tuners.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Highhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to beholdHighhats is a splendid one to behold
Im sure only thte factory Coding system is used to send out check engine lights and make sure the PSM is running correctly. Only the basic features which are necessary for a flawless communication between the standalone and the factory ECU. Im sure theis retains factory Check engine light codes for OBD2 scanning. Tym is this set up similar to the AEM based setup of horsepowerfreaks?

S

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First true standalone for 996/997 completed by Switzer Performance Innovation!!!