996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Umw Lwfw

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:02 PM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Umw Lwfw

Got UMW's flash which killed my sickly clutch in 15 minutes. Talked to Kevin and got the UMW LWFW. I was a little apprehensive given all the talk about the noise and difficulty driving, but I am so glad I went down this route.

I always felt that the clutch was so sloppy on the turbo as the engagement point was so variable. Now with the LWFW, it's spot on and the way it revs is so much more aggressive. I found no difficulty driving the car- it almost feels like my old GT3!

There definitely is noise, but not a big deal, esp if you have a loud exhaust.

I think that I'm done for awhile (at least my wife hopes so). The Europipe, LWFW, PSS9's, UMW flash, MaCarbon pieces, HRE wheels, and FVD steering wheel have truly changed the car from a GT cruiser type car to a road racer type of car!

Anyone thinking of going the flash route, give Kevin a call. He's the man.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
I am glad that you like it. Much better than stock but noisy.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:58 AM
sideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the roughsideWays_swe is a jewel in the rough
your clutch in bad shape before you did the flash? Is the stock clutch to weak for a exhaust and flash?

Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
No. I have Kevin's flash and have not had any clutch problems. It depends how you abuse it.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:25 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Having a loud exhaust has absolutely nothing to do with noise unless you have your foot to the floor at stop lights. The noise and chatter is there at idle and exponentially louder with the a/c on. For those of you who just installed it and don't think it is loud, just wait a few hundred miles. It WILL get louder.

I have a lwfw and would not go back to the dual mass- but it is loud, and it is REALLY loud/noticeable with the ac on..

Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
why is it louder?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:56 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
You are hearing the noise from the tranny gears. It is not any noise coming from the clutch.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:27 AM
seattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really niceseattle_sun is just really nice
Originally Posted by $manager
Having a loud exhaust has absolutely nothing to do with noise unless you have your foot to the floor at stop lights. The noise and chatter is there at idle and exponentially louder with the a/c on. For those of you who just installed it and don't think it is loud, just wait a few hundred miles. It WILL get louder.

I have a lwfw and would not go back to the dual mass- but it is loud, and it is REALLY loud/noticeable with the ac on..
My exhaust is loud at idle and does cover the noise of the LWFW.

I have 500 miles on the LWFW and I still don't think the noise is a big deal. Sure it rattles, but just push the clutch in and it's gone.

Last edited by seattle_sun; 07-22-2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
+1

Love the LWFW. No negatives from my point of view, and my wife and kids don't notice it. On the move, or with the clutch in..no noise. Only in neutral with AC is it noticeable, and even then, I am super used to it.

Much more fun....why would Porsche put one on the 997 GT3RS if it was a bad thing..

Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 AM
MGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to beholdMGS996TT is a splendid one to behold
UMW, LWFW….great investment. Car is a lot more responsive.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 AM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Don't get me wrong, I like it!

And for the record, it is not a umw flywheel. Everybody sells them.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:56 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I used Kevin because it was all in a package and everything just worked...not screwing around finding bolts, etc.

Added value. Plus, he talked to me about it, wear and engine stress issues, and a host of other issues.

If anyone is reading this and gets one, one can save time ($) by dropping the tranny and not the engine....just an fyi. Most indy's know this. A dealer may not do this so as to "follow the rules" and make more money.

JB

Old 07-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I used Kevin because it was all in a package and everything just worked...not screwing around finding bolts, etc.

Added value. Plus, he talked to me about it, wear and engine stress issues, and a host of other issues.

If anyone is reading this and gets one, one can save time ($) by dropping the tranny and not the engine....just an fyi. Most indy's know this. A dealer may not do this so as to "follow the rules" and make more money.

JB
Newport Beach Porsche dropped the tranny and not the engine. The only problem was that they were expensive.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by $manager
Don't get me wrong, I like it!

And for the record, it is not a umw flywheel. Everybody sells them.
Umm, of course everyone sells a LWFW and clutch systems, but there are different set ups. The UMW is a Sachs lightweight clutch system and GT3 RS LWFW.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:11 PM
And the springs in the clutch plate will give you the stock clutch feel. Great choice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Umw Lwfw