996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

IPD Intake Plenum Installed - Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
SY - I agree with you. Bigger turbos and bigger throttle body would do wonders

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned
RSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond reputeRSSGREG has a reputation beyond repute
IPD 997 Turbo Plenum

Greetings 6 Speeders,
<o></o>
Sorry for the late response and for missing all the action.
<o></o>
Although the 997 Turbo has proven to have a mind of its own and has produced varying performance results some things have remained consistent. The power and torque curves with the Vivid dyno do not seem indicative of what we’ve seen with previous dyno testing, both in-house and from third party independent dynos. <o></o>
<o></o>
After some serious head scratching it almost appears that the before and after dyno test could have been run in different gears. The IPD plenum should allow the boost to come in sooner making more power earlier. The IPD Plenum usually peaks around 3500 to 3900 rpm range and remains well above the baseline throughout the entire rpm range. <o>

</o> The dyno pull, as Dan mentioned, was performed in the 3 gear which will definitely move the curve to the right (up the rpm band). Turbo cars hit full boost at different rpm ranges in each gear. It always comes on later in the rpm range in lower gears and conversely earlier in the rpm range in the higher gears due to the load factor. Most rolling dyno pulls are performed back to back in 4<sup>th</sup> gear whether it’s a turbo or naturally aspirated application. <o></o><o></o>

To obtain the ideal dyno results IPD always performs a new baseline each and every time before installing or modifying any performance upgrade. In order to achieve an accurate comparison with any mod it is best to maintain consistent temperature and humidity conditions. All IPD dyno test are performed within hours of each other to get an “apples to apples” comparison. <o></o><o></o>

997 Turbo (unlike the 996 Turbo) definitely require an adaptation process for the DME to adjust to the added air flow and most important, air velocity that’s provided by the IPD Plenum. This adaptation process occurs more quickly when the car is driven hard in the higher gears. Sometimes a car even needs to be driven hard off the dyno and then strapped back onto the dyno in between each mod to properly access each mods gain (or loss).<o></o><o></o>

In this case, what we suggest is that Vivid install the factory plenum, go drive the car hard for at least 10 miles, re-base line the car in 4<sup>th</sup> gear, re-install the IPD Plenum, go drive the car hard for another 10 miles then re-dyno the car. This should all take place during the same day to ensure a quality and accurate evaluation of the IPD or any mod. We would even like to see third gear to third gear comparisons as well as fourth gear to fourth gear comparisons.<o></o><o></o>

The IPD plenum puts down substantial power with all applications but they work incredibly well with forced induction applications, whether is be turbo or supercharged. The IPD plenum works great on bone stock cars as well as on highly modified cars.<o></o><o></o>

Below are some previous dynos that show the typical power and torque improvements provided by the IPD plenum. Each of the cars had a variety of additional mods and were performed on different dynos with different conditions. Notice the gains and where they take place in the rpm range.<o></o><o></o>

Cheers,<o></o>
Greg

<o>
</o>

Old 08-27-2008, 01:12 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I drove a car with one installed, my butt dyno noticed absolutely nothing. Maybe my butt isn't sensitive enough?
Thank you for saying it before I blurted it out.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:21 PM
treynor has a spectacular aura abouttreynor has a spectacular aura about
The butt dyno's not going to notice a 10% torque increase over a 1200 RPM midrange interval.

For what it's worth, Sharky installed an IPD plenum on my car at the same time we installed new intercoolers. The car was definitely (significantly) quicker afterward; I can't determine how much of that was the IC and how much if any was the plenum. However, I can state with certainty that the turbos don't spool 500 RPM later than they used to however. If anything they're slightly quicker now.

The 3rd-gear vs 4th-gear theory makes the most sense of anything I've read so far. I'll look forward to today's results.

Old 08-27-2008, 01:50 PM
sns
sns is on a distinguished road
re RSS: "997 Turbo (unlike the 996 Turbo) definitely require an adaptation process for the DME to adjust to the added air flow and most important, air velocity that’s provided by the IPD Plenum." So how much time does this adaptation process take? I still don't understand this theory. Is this a smart ecu chip that learns on the fly? I've never heard of this in any other application. I've asked this question of another tuner but did not get a response.

Could the following hold true "although the 997 Turbo has proven to have a mind of its own and has produced varying performance results" due to tuner inconsistencies? Could it be that a tuner who dyno tests in the wrong gears and does not perform a SCIENTIFIC A/B comparison be the reason some of these mods look at best dubious?

I'm new to this forum but from the last week alone I've read some very suspect tuner/vendor claims, not to mention the intimations of one brand of ecu flash being inferior than the one they were peddling and yet when pressed on specifics yet another question remains unanswered....

I've seen what appear to be tuner inconsistencies in this thread alone. I don't want to come off as negative or bashing anyone, but these are rather expensive cars and i'm sure most in here don't want to be anyone's guinea pig......

Last edited by sns; 08-27-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Factory plenum is installed and will do a after dyno shortly.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:39 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bbywu
Thank you for saying it before I blurted it out.
Bobby, are you saying I'm an insensitive ***?
c

Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Bobby, are you saying I'm an insensitive ***?
c

Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 AM
TT23 is on a distinguished road
wonder if they can make this for other cars ?

Old 08-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor
After dyno was completed with the stock plenum. It seems that possibly the plenum that we received is leaking boost through a fitting or something. Will send it back to Greg at RSS to check out. Per his posted dyno sheets and my experience with the 996TT, this should add some gains in the mid range powerband. The Vision Motorsports dyno looks like the best case scenario from my experience.

Guys this is NOT A BAD PRODUCT. We were just doing our own individual tests and sharing information with you. RSS would not put there name behind a poor quality product. Greg and I will resolve my own situation. This is the aftermarket industry, not everything goes perfect.

Stay tuned!

Old 08-28-2008, 10:21 AM
sns
sns is on a distinguished road
"This is the aftermarket industry, not everything goes perfect." Well that sure instills consumer confidence. And that's after you claimed the car performed stronger prior to dyno. while i respect your honesty, perhaps it'd be better to work out all of your kinks before hyping a product and posting suspect results. i mean why show us your sputum before having something worthwhile to offer up?

Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Former Vendor
That is the truth. Whether it be Ralliart, Mopar, SPT, or any non OEM aftermarket, things can happen. Many times you can buy a computer, a blender, even your OWN car that might have a unknown issue. That is why there is customer support and warranty.

I appreciate that you appreciate my honesty. Not 1 product on my car do I build manufacturer, or design right now. So I am no different then you. I am putting parts on a car and showing the results of testing, posting pictures, and my opinions. Am I hyping a product, yes, did something go wrong, probably, will it be remedied, yes.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:22 PM
OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !OhioGT2 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sns
"This is the aftermarket industry, not everything goes perfect." Well that sure instills consumer confidence. And that's after you claimed the car performed stronger prior to dyno. while i respect your honesty, perhaps it'd be better to work out all of your kinks before hyping a product and posting suspect results. i mean why show us your sputum before having something worthwhile to offer up?
It's too bad IB doesn't require some sort of business training and automotive knowledge/experience before allowing just anyone with a check to become a sponsor....it brings the whole community down....

Old 08-28-2008, 04:09 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OhioGT2
It's too bad IB doesn't require some sort of business training and automotive knowledge/experience before allowing just anyone with a check to become a sponsor....it brings the whole community down....

I have respect for you, but your constant following Vivid around to somehow bring his company down is annoying. Some products work, some products don't, but atleast we have companies like Vivid out there TRYING.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
This thread reminds me of the time when Evoms came out with the aftermarket ICs.... some praised it while others demanded proof.... some got really technical to the point that I thought they were were working for a F1 team while others compared pictures to pictures....
With that said, There are many products out there that have not been "tested" to everyones liking.... including exhaust, ICs, Dvs,headers, etc... but for the most part I think most vendors try to do a decent job selling what they believe works as they rely on word of mouth to exist in this competative business...
I bought a set of custom HRE C20s along with a set of brakes from Vivid. I had a good expierience.
Sure I do believe you get what you pay for... but sometimes not everyone is into the "top of the line" custom this and custom that..... and I can honestly see the anger towards a vendor like Vivid who sells a exhaust for $1800 vs $4700. But then one can say that paying someone $5K for a stainless steel exhaust is highway robbery.
In both cases no one is right nor wrong for selling what they want to sell as long as there is no deceit nor malicious intent.
markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IPD Intake Plenum Installed - Dyno Results!