996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need Help: Carport for my P-Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 08:56 PM
JK996TT is on a distinguished road
Need Help: Carport for my P-Car

I am thinking of getting a carport installed at my office so I can drive my car to work and not have it bake in the Florida sun all day. The ones I have seen are so tall that the sun still hits the car and totally defeats the purpose. I would prefer one that has a giant L-shaped frame so I don't have 8 steel poles surrounding the car. I can't find what I want on the net so I am wide open to suggestions.

TIA!

Old 08-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
Do u want one u can break down and take it places with you?
Or do you want one that is permanent?

Old 08-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Permanent....Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2004, 10:50 AM
SteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud ofSteveH has much to be proud of
why not just hire a contractor to build one to your specs?

Old 08-15-2004, 10:53 AM
I believe that would drive the cost well beyond what I am interested in spending. I should also look into an awning company. I was unable to find exactly what I was looking for online.

Old 08-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Z0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant futureZ0RR0 has a brilliant future
Get a tent!!! I'm not kidding either. We have a tent that's so big (and it's no even among the larger models) I like to say I have a tent with garage. I actually sleep in one room (3 to 20 people can sleep in it - 3 male or 20 female) and park one or 2 dirtbikes in the remaining part.
I'm sure you could pick a tent large enough to fit a p-car. Now it is going to look like crap, no doubt about it.

In Canada, during winter, we use Tempo shelters (yup, Tempo is the brand), they have curtains and all ... I can't see how the sun could get in. And they are temporary.

edit - here's a pic of what they look like.

Will most likely work great ... but it looks f*ckin ghetto!!! I don't even use one during winter just because of that! LMAO!

Found bigger pics. In Quebec, everyone during winter has these monstruosities ... and yes, they are big.
http://www.bellon.qc.ca/abrisauto.htm

re-edit : found this site too ... looks much better. http://proteccar.free.fr/ (ask if ya need any translation ... clicking the links at the bottom should help you check out everything though)

edit (again!) - Racing tents are pretty neat, you could get one custom printed to your liking, and park under it easily. Height is adjustable too, so you could get it quite low. Something like this.
http://www.shieldselectronics.com/events/fc250/tent.jpg

First non-ghetto pic of this reply ... feels good at last!

edit again ... why not simply a car cover??????

Last edited by Z0RR0; 08-15-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:28 PM
Banned for Life
Cole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the roughCole_21 is a jewel in the rough
What size u want? Any specific material metal-wood-canvas?
What are you looking at spending I might be able to help you out.

Old 08-15-2004, 06:29 PM
jamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant futurejamie has a brilliant future
Be sure to check marine applications. Around our cottage, there are many people with these awning type structures attached to their docks. It's not as fugly as those tents and it is height adjustable.

Old 08-15-2004, 09:25 PM
The post by Zorro with the little black suv is pretty much what I had in mind. Thanks guys...keep 'em coming.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Banned
deeroff is on a distinguished road
Just a thought, but I would worry that someone would key my car if I had that contraption -- u know how screwed up folks get when you park way, way away from everyone else -- it paints a bullseye on the car.

Old 08-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Carolina Speed
james is on a distinguished road
Lowe's hardware and probably Home Depot have modular car ports that are close to construction from scratch without the cost. They are essentially permanent, but can be moved to a new destination if need be. I prefer the awning look. They are metal and have beautiful covers that look nice. If you are the boss of the business, you could place the name of the business or your logo or catch phrase on the awning and it would look like it was always there and part of the design of the structure. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:22 AM
Banned for Life
Originally posted by james
Lowe's hardware and probably Home Depot have modular car ports that are close to construction from scratch without the cost. They are essentially permanent, but can be moved to a new destination if need be. I prefer the awning look. They are metal and have beautiful covers that look nice. If you are the boss of the business, you could place the name of the business or your logo or catch phrase on the awning and it would look like it was always there and part of the design of the structure. Good luck.

This is your best bet if u want to keep costs down!!!

BTW- A company logo would look nice.

Old 08-16-2004, 12:51 AM
HdS
HdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud of
Here's the one we got at our office (at the right):

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2004, 12:52 AM
HdS
HdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud ofHdS has much to be proud of
...other pic:

Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2004, 12:57 AM
My car sits right outside my office full length windiw with a walkway and a handicap space to the right and grass to the left. I am very isolated (not by chance!) so others hurting the car is not a concern. I like what HDS posted very much and I wonder what a single car size would cost?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help: Carport for my P-Car