996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
I used a dremel with a cutting wheel also and it only took about 5 minutes total time...I loosened the plastic cover to get it away fron the deck lid to allow some space for the depth of the wheel. Then, I cut a pretty large hole about the same size as the carbon fiber piece, just slightly smaller all around.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:14 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
wait a minute, let me get this straight. is the stock box cut up to accommodate the correct fit of the carbon?

Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
John D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to beholdJohn D is a splendid one to behold
Oak,

Now that you mention it - yes, but, I was referring to the hole in the liner on top, However, I did have to take a 1/2" plastic lip off of the air box on the extreme right (passenger side) in order for it to seal properly with the Vivid CF piece. If you separate the OEM airbox and you look at the larger half with the MAF housing, you will see a lip on the right end that protrudes more than the other 3 edges, it's an overlap of some sort for the OEM clamshell design. If you try to mate the Vivid CF dual snorkel piece to the air box, it will hit this lip and be about 1/2" off the box at the right end. I trimmed this lip off and then the CF dual snorkel half mounted tight and flush, as it should. The box did not come with instructions, I could just tell this had to be done for a proper fit.

Last edited by John D; 10-20-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:41 PM
oak
oak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud ofoak has much to be proud of
john thanks for the info, if you want to put it back to stock will it hinder the integrity of seal back to the fact part? or by grinding the oem box you will have to replace the box if you want to go back to the stock box?

Old 10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
Oak,

I examined the cut with that in mind and my conclusion was the overlapping piece is not required for a proper seal, it was just there from a design/appearance standpoint. I was able to make a clean dremel cut along a natural seam and you can not really tell the box has been trimmed. If you look at your OEM air box, you can probably see this overlapping lip on the right end and envision the effect of trimming it.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for your assistance Palette and JohnD. This is what forums are for, offering technical assistance and advice to others!

Oak - alot of questions you have about the product, you can call me to discuss if you would like. I dont mind assisting you.

GreggT - Got your email, please call me here at the office.

I have updated the instructions online to mention the dremeling of the stock box and the hole size for the snorkel. I have even linked to this thread for discussion.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 PM
ramone is an unknown quantity at this point
Any numbers released on this item either independent or manufacturer ???

Any one dyno yet or show any gains ???

Old 10-20-2008, 08:02 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
I wrote up the instructions for a DIY for the Sportec version...Happy to pass it along to those that want it. The most important parts being:
1. You must cut the bracket (this is what John is calling the liner) to allow the air to flow through the snorkel (the pics of installs I have seen have not done this sufficiently.)
2. You must modify the stock airbox to accommodate the CF front.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:46 PM
Here is a picture of the opening I cut to feed air through the snorkel. I held the upper CF piece in place and cut a slightly smaller opening with a dremel cutting wheel.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:34 AM
Banned
BlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud ofBlackBear has much to be proud of
If any of the cars with this mod have to go to a CA smog test they'll be SCREWED.

You just made your car non compliant by cutting out or covering all the smog stickers.
This is the only reason I will not do this mod. Other than that it looks like the best airbox so far.

Why have we not seen any dyno sheets on just the box? Or have I missed them?

Old 10-21-2008, 05:53 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder what this will do for a paper filter set up....is there more air...can the engine use it. Does one see more power?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Anyway, anyone have any data, even gtech data...

Jeff

Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 AM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wross996TT
I wrote up the instructions for a DIY for the Sportec version...Happy to pass it along to those that want it. The most important parts being:
1. You must cut the bracket (this is what John is calling the liner) to allow the air to flow through the snorkel (the pics of installs I have seen have not done this sufficiently.)
2. You must modify the stock airbox to accommodate the CF front.
What Bracket are you referring to? Hmmmmmmm maybe i didn't install it correctly

Old 10-21-2008, 06:44 AM
oak
is this a CARB approved?

paper filter? paper mache.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I seriously doubt it's CARB approved, but I don't see that as an issue... I do see an issue with cutting out the smog stickers.

I want to jump on this, but I'd recommend buying a second rear deck cover, cutting it up, and putting your OEM cover aside for "resale".

Oak, You can buy another air box pretty cheap if you're concerned with returning it to stock.

Mike

Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 AM
If the stickers are an issue, you can save the cut piece, as I did and tape it on for inspection. It would only take a few minutes to remove the CF piece and replace the cut section.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Are you For or Against the Stock Air Box - Check This Out!