996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP needed with Dealer & PCNA on Engine Issue (LONG)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:23 AM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
HELP needed with Dealer & PCNA on Engine Issue (LONG)

If you have read my previous posts on the subject jump to the next paragraph. For other who want to jump in, here is a summary. I have a 2001 996TT with 69k mi and still under CPO warranty. Car has been consuming 1qt every 450-500mi which has been verified by dealer. Dealer conducted leakdown and compression tests and indicated all reads were normal BUT sparkplugs looked very bad and I quote "looked like they were the original sparkplugs" so he asked me to provide documentation that 60k service was done (which I just gave him this morning).

Dealer is indicating that to fix and/or further diagnose excessive oil consumption PCNA may recommend to put new sparkplugs since a)it is possible that Porsche dealer made a mistake and didnt change them at 60k service (while invoice indicates they did) and b)new plugs may bring oil consumption to within specs. Obviously "a" and "b" make absolutely no sense whatsoever so would appreciate help/ideas on how to manage and escalate if this is the response on Monday - THANKS in advance.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:01 PM
TURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the roughTURBO ELECTRO is a jewel in the rough
That seems like a whacky answer to me......they want to charge you for something they allready charged you for but forgot to install in the first place?? So mister customer please pay us again so we can install something that we may of forgot that may or may not solve the problem with your car. I can't see why plugs would be the issue. It runs fine? The original plugs used in 01 were FR5's. They were updated with FR6's sometime shortly after. Check the model that comes out of the car. Ever noticed any oil leaks under the car. Ever changed the rear main seal? Check this... www.c-speedracing.com/howto/996rms/rms1.php

Old 09-13-2008, 01:18 PM
RandomName is infamous around these parts
I don't get it. The dealer is telling you the sparkplugs might be the problem. Why don't you let them change the plugs and try it (i assume this is covered under CPO)?

It sounds like you want an internet board to run a diagnostic on your car and will provide better answer than mechanic that service hundres of porsches?

Old 09-13-2008, 04:33 PM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
The car is running fina and they havent charged me anything yet and assume PCNA would cover any charges under a "warranty issue under investigation" type of invoice. I guess when your Porsche dealer tells you that "changing plugs will fix oil excessive consumption" any internet board becomes a more reliable source for answers...

Old 09-13-2008, 04:40 PM
here's how they can change the plugs...

[quote=TURBO ELECTRO;2041262]So mister customer please pay us again so we can install something that we may of forgot that may or may not solve the problem with your car.

The service manager said they would call the dealer that did the 60k service, check who the tech was and if it was a young and inexperienced tech, have that dealer pay for the plug replacement. I know that sounds like a crazy idea but that is what I was told...

On RMS, I dont think it has been done but dont know since the car was bougth used....