996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP....Radiator hose keeps popping off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:02 PM
N1_kT is on a distinguished road
HELP....Radiator hose keeps popping off

i keep having my radiator hose pop off. its the one on the right side connected to the engine. What could cause this? Any help would be great. thanks

Old 11-29-2008, 11:18 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
What a nasty (and expensive) recurring mess to deal with! I had that hose burst once and the coolant was sticky and expensive. I recommend that you replace the hose. The fittings are similar to the boost hoses with stamped aluminum tabs that are held in by C-clips on the cast aluminum housings. Those tabs may be worn on your hose. It is also possible that the hose was not pushed in far enough to clip securely in place. Good luck.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:02 PM
Former Vendor
al@cpt is on a distinguished road
Provided the car is not overheating, I would inspect the radiator hoses and replace the clips and o-rings. If the hoses are old replace them as well. New hoses come with o-rings but you will need to get clips. An air pocket might be causing this to occur, so make sure you properly bleed the system. Also, the bleed valve and cap must work properly.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:38 PM
what is the proper way to bleed the coolant system and to eliminate all the air pockets.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 AM
Former Vendor
al@cpt is on a distinguished road
I use a tool that creates vacuum in the cooling system. Here is what I have: http://www.brightsol.com/pdf/radiatormiser.pdf . This will do most of the work and eliminate most of the air pockets. Then you need to use the Porsche system tester to finish bleeding the system. I hope this helps.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:15 PM
i found the problem, it was a bad clip. thanks for all your help

Old 12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
roadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to beholdroadsterdoc is a splendid one to behold
To bleed the system yourself without any special equipment, place the rear of the car on jackstands as high as possible. Chock both front wheels. Fill the coolant tank, start the car and let it warm up. Top up as needed. Rev it a few times, let it idle, top off if needed and and shut it off. Once fully cooled, check and top up again as needed. Take it off the stands, drive around a bit and keep your eye on the T-stat. Let it cool off, check coolant level and top off as needed. Keep checking T-stat and coolant level (when cool) for the next few drives.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Turn the heater on as well when you're doing so doc. Also check the lower back hose for wear from time to time. I've seen in both our cars where this piece can hit the engine mount, and had one rupture as a result.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Yep. I had one split (driver's side) at only 21k miles!