996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Talk - DOT Approved Track Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Pointby
The new Nitto NT-05 looks like a great option for a streetable track tire. The only problem is they have limited sizes listed now. The tires should be available in Feb 09. If they have the right sizes, that will be the first tire I look at.

http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...lass-tire.html

That is very strange tread design....

Old 12-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've run the hoosier on other platforms along with the Kumho V700/V710. What others have told me is they really don't last as long at the track on the 996TTs. The weight of these cars really does hammer the tire, and it seems that the Michelin is better suited for the Porsche application, as Porsche was directly involved with Michelin's R&D of the MPSC. That said, The Hoosier and Kumho both are going to be stickier, and quicker, but a second or two. I just don't think a DE environment is worth burning up such a sticky tire... The Michelins are pricey, but I justify them by the fact that I get 8-10 days per set.

Last winter I did a bunch of research on tires, and I even posted here and on a couple other boards that I'd be moving to Hoosiers or full slicks for 2008. That didn't happen, partly due to the accelerated wear of the Hoosier over the MPSC. It may be a cheaper tire initially, but I'm getting more than double the use going with the Michelin over the Hoosier. If I were competing in time trials, I'd have a set of MPSCs to practice on and Hoosiers for the event.

Mike

Old 12-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlueTT
Wouldn't 305/30/19 throw off the overall diameter in the 996TT's? What size fronts are you running not to damage the front diff?
I know it will also change the roll couple of the car...negligible as it is ....it would change it.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:00 PM
996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough996TTs is a jewel in the rough
if i ran 235 35 19 for the fronts and 305 30 19 for my 996 tt, am i asking for trouble on either the 888s and the MPSCs? of the two, which will work better for a 996tt?

what would be the ideal tire size for 19s on a 996tt?

TIA!

Old 12-24-2008, 05:04 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
i have a 12" rear wheel

my ****y toyo t1R 315/25 looks stretched on the rear wheel

will a 305/30 be even more streched ?

Old 12-24-2008, 10:03 PM
geetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant futuregeetee has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Pointby
The new Nitto NT-05 looks like a great option for a streetable track tire. The only problem is they have limited sizes listed now. The tires should be available in Feb 09. If they have the right sizes, that will be the first tire I look at.

http://www.timeattackforums.com/foru...lass-tire.html

I think a few turbo'd E46 M3's are going to be trying the NT05's....guess we'll see how they hold up

Old 12-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I am thinking of putting the NT05's on my M3...any thoughts? This car is a semi DD so it needs to be capable in the rain. The Toyo TR1's I have on now are pretty good in the rain (and a hell of a bargain).

Old 12-25-2008, 07:38 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
I have run multiple sets of the first four tires Dan lists and also Hoosiers. IMHO at the same tread depth they all are about the same grip. all way better than the best street tire (MPS2's). and they are all a cut below grip of the Hoosiers. on most tracks (ie Daytona and Sebring so longer tracks) the R compounds beat the street tires by 2-4 seconds and the Hoosier beat the R compounds listed by 1-3 seconds.

the tread design in dry conditions really doesnt matter, it is for water. all do ok in the wet but I give up in standing water on the track as all will hydroplane.

Hoosiers are DOT tires but not to be run on the street like the others and I know of people making a short trip in the dry to the track with the Hoosiers they are too soft.

the real pearl in all this tire talk is the suspension set up of the car. with street suspension and less that negative 2 camber the tires will not perform at there best and wear will be excessive.

when the car is set up properly the tires wear evenly and last twice as long.

constant attention to tire temps and pressures must be done throughout the day as the pressures will swing up to 15 pounds from a cold morning to a hot afternoon.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with above, my Hoosier's are wonderful and make me a better driver!
Robert

Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Mikelly
I've run the hoosier on other platforms along with the Kumho V700/V710. What others have told me is they really don't last as long at the track on the 996TTs. The weight of these cars really does hammer the tire, and it seems that the Michelin is better suited for the Porsche application, as Porsche was directly involved with Michelin's R&D of the MPSC. That said, The Hoosier and Kumho both are going to be stickier, and quicker, but a second or two. I just don't think a DE environment is worth burning up such a sticky tire... The Michelins are pricey, but I justify them by the fact that I get 8-10 days per set.

Last winter I did a bunch of research on tires, and I even posted here and on a couple other boards that I'd be moving to Hoosiers or full slicks for 2008. That didn't happen, partly due to the accelerated wear of the Hoosier over the MPSC. It may be a cheaper tire initially, but I'm getting more than double the use going with the Michelin over the Hoosier. If I were competing in time trials, I'd have a set of MPSCs to practice on and Hoosiers for the event.
This is really interesting. The really fast guys I know (1:38's Laguna Seca and 1:50's Sear Point) say the MPSC only last ~20 HC before they start to dramatically fall off...

Which Cup was PAG involved with R&D in? The OEM's or the legitimate Cups. The difference between the two is fairly big.

Originally Posted by tom kerr
I have run multiple sets of the first four tires Dan lists and also Hoosiers. IMHO at the same tread depth they all are about the same grip. all way better than the best street tire (MPS2's). and they are all a cut below grip of the Hoosiers. on most tracks (ie Daytona and Sebring so longer tracks) the R compounds beat the street tires by 2-4 seconds and the Hoosier beat the R compounds listed by 1-3 seconds.

the tread design in dry conditions really doesnt matter, it is for water. all do ok in the wet but I give up in standing water on the track as all will hydroplane.

Hoosiers are DOT tires but not to be run on the street like the others and I know of people making a short trip in the dry to the track with the Hoosiers they are too soft.

the real pearl in all this tire talk is the suspension set up of the car. with street suspension and less that negative 2 camber the tires will not perform at there best and wear will be excessive.

when the car is set up properly the tires wear evenly and last twice as long.

constant attention to tire temps and pressures must be done throughout the day as the pressures will swing up to 15 pounds from a cold morning to a hot afternoon.
Tom how many HC's do you get out of the R6's? I've never heard of people getting 3 second from Hoo-Hoo's over R-comps. That's incredible. The guys I know who can run sub 1:50's at Sears Point and sub 1:38's at Laguna can't put much faster times down with hoo-hoo's over the cups but can run more consistent times.

As far as wear, Tom has it right. It's very subjective to set up and driving style. Mooty will run through a set of R888's and Hoosiers in 3 days (<20 HC's).

From my understanding the legit Cups are roughly a second faster with a very experienced driver over any R-Comp on a two minute track with a GT3. The hoo-hoo's are roughly 1, maybe 2 seconds faster than the Cups with very experience drivers.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:30 AM
CarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant futureCarNerd has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vividracing
Al - I did not mention the Hoosier cause I thought the full slick was not DOT approved. But please tell us your experience.
The R6 is a grooved DOT approved "slick," but nothing near a legit slick. The A6 is an extremely out of the box fast tire. The A6 is also a grooved DOT approved tire but is a "fast out of the box," type of tire, only good for autocross and qualifying laps.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:18 PM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by CarNerd
This is really interesting. The really fast guys I know (1:38's Laguna Seca and 1:50's Sear Point) say the MPSC only last ~20 HC before they start to dramatically fall off...

Which Cup was PAG involved with R&D in? The OEM's or the legitimate Cups. The difference between the two is fairly big.

Tom how many HC's do you get out of the R6's? I've never heard of people getting 3 second from Hoo-Hoo's over R-comps. That's incredible. The guys I know who can run sub 1:50's at Sears Point and sub 1:38's at Laguna can't put much faster times down with hoo-hoo's over the cups but can run more consistent times.

As far as wear, Tom has it right. It's very subjective to set up and driving style. Mooty will run through a set of R888's and Hoosiers in 3 days (<20 HC's).

From my understanding the legit Cups are roughly a second faster with a very experienced driver over any R-Comp on a two minute track with a GT3. The hoo-hoo's are roughly 1, maybe 2 seconds faster than the Cups with very experience drivers.
at Daytona about 10-12 and remember the few second improvements I see with "hoo-hoo's" are at Sebring which takes me about 2:25 and is near 4 miles long. and I am not the fastest

Old 12-26-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by tom kerr
at Daytona about 10-12 and remember the few second improvements I see with "hoo-hoo's" are at Sebring which takes me about 2:25 and is near 4 miles long. and I am not the fastest
That's what I thought. I've never heard anyone getting legit Cup for their longevity. 1-3 makes more sense at Sebring.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I was told by a Michelin Tire rep that the MPSC that comes on GT2/3s from the factory was R&D'd with Porsche engineers. I'm refering to the R-comp tires you get from Tirerack (Which is what Dan in the original post asked about), not the Michelin "CUP" slicks.

I'm an intermediate/advanced student, and I can only report on what I've experienced personally. I'm getting between 8-10 days worth of use out of the tires I've bought and my track times aren't the fastest, but are reasonably respectable at 2:10s on VIR full and 1:21s on Summit Main.

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 12-26-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Tom - I am assuming that the drivers with these tires have a properly balanced suspension to work in conjunction. If you have stock suspension, dont but sticky tires on it... You will have grip, then body roll and they dont help each other