996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

X50 / S Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Flying Viper is on a distinguished road
X50 / S Question

I just bought an 04 (996) Turbo with the X50.
Why do I see some folks call their (996's) The Turbo S ? I thought the Turbo S was for the 997 model?
Thanks

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM
boss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really niceboss351 is just really nice
S is an actual model also, like an X50 but with ceramic brakes also..

Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
The Turbo S was produced only in 2005 and was the last of the 996TT line... and like Boss said, the basic difference was that it came with the ceramic brakes....all the rest of the car is essentially he same. No difference in the motor, tranny, turbos, intercoolers etc. I should qualify that and say that there's no difference since 2003 when Porsche started putting in fiber optics for the radio (called the MOST system).

Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I should qualify that and say that there's no difference since 2003 when Porsche started putting in fiber optics for the radio (called the MOST system).[/quote]

Yeah...MOST pain in the a$$!!!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:28 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
So a Turbo S was a 2005 model that included the following option codes as an "S package":

X50 - (K24 turbos, GT2 Intercoolers, different programming)
450- PCCB

It also has the "turbo S" Label on the rear.

This is to say that a 2004 with an X50 and a 450 is equivalent to a 2005 Turbo S, except the logo.

A

Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Flying Viper is on a distinguished road
So a Turbo S was a 2005 model that included the following option codes as an "S package":

X50 - (K24 turbos, GT2 Intercoolers, different programming)
450- PCCB

It also has the "turbo S" Label on the rear.

This is to say that a 2004 with an X50 and a 450 is equivalent to a 2005 Turbo S, except the logo.

A[/quote]

Thanks A,

I was confused because I also have the PCCB option. So would that make my car a Turbo S? Or would mine be just a Turbo with the X50 and PCCC packages becaues of the year?
Thanks again

Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
If it's not an 05S, then someone probably either special ordered it with the PCCB brakes, or added them after it was purchased. To be honest....for the difference in price between the big reds and the PCCB's....unless you track a lot and want what the PCCB's offer, there's not much sense in getting them. The big reds do a good job in their own right....PLUS, if you ever have to change out the discs, the costs are substantially more for the PCCB's....like thousands more. BUT...if they came with the car and are included in the costs...might as well enjoy the upgrade!

Last edited by Chuck Jones; 01-23-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:47 PM
rdf16 will become famous soon enoughrdf16 will become famous soon enough
I thought I read somewhere on 6Speed that the PCCBs were different in 05,
newer generation? All 05 Turbos were "S's" and also came standard with NAV,
FWIW.

RD

Old 01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
AFAIK....there were two generations of PCCB's....and the first generation in the early 2001-02's had problems that were attended to in the second iterations. I'm not aware of subsequent enhancements after that....maybe someone who knows can chime in.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
smooth_operator will become famous soon enough
At the end of a model run Porsche takes all the goodies and assembles a final car and designates it a "S" model. The pccb was still an option on the "S" model in 05.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 PM
I've never seen an S model that didin't have PCCB brakes on it. Consequently, it woudl seem that the absence of the PCCB's would be more of a "PCCB delete" option. I was under the impression that the 05 S model came standard with PCCB's.

This is really getting to a hair splitting level...how about....the 05 Turbo S model either came with PCCB brakes or it didnt'.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:53 PM
smooth_operator will become famous soon enough
I was at Park Place Porsche today, two 05 Turbo S models side by side. One had pccb the other didn't. I'll try to verify if it was standard or an option.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:36 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by smooth_operator
At the end of a model run Porsche takes all the goodies and assembles a final car and designates it a "S" model. The pccb was still an option on the "S" model in 05.
Officially it was never an option, it was standard. I have a pdf of the 2005 order guide.

There were apparently, however, a few late build 2004s that got 2005 VINs but were not full "S" versions. One was for sale at park place as I recall.

A

Old 01-24-2009, 12:40 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
All turbo S models were 2005 and came with PCCB. They also came with a lot of options standard, like the nav and bose premium sound.

From all the research that ive done, the pccbs for 2004 were gen 1, for 2005 the pccbs were gen 2. (less prone to cracking) Check out the way your rotors are drilled and you'll see a different pattern. This is another plus for having a turbo S.

The turbo S was basically the complete package all wrapped into one, which for me was what I was looking for.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Topless TTS is on a distinguished road
Definitely agree with above, standard options for S were:
X50
PCCB II
PCM Nav
wheels painted GT silver
Turbo S insignia on rear, doorsills, faceplate dials, and lower central console
Faceplate dials in aluminum "white"
and the infamous "S" factor, good for a few extra hp in intimidation for those not in the know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: X50 / S Question