996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Unbelievably Bad Bodywork

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 03:02 AM
Vik
Vik has a spectacular aura aboutVik has a spectacular aura about
Wow, that is bad work Tim. Do you mind telling us which shop you went to so we can stay clear? Good luck.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:20 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
I hate to say it but, " I told you so"

Custom cars baby! (www.customcarsunlimited.com)

Shank

Old 09-25-2004, 03:33 AM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Shank: I know. I was trying to be cheap and knew I was taking a risk. THey did nothing that can't be fixed and now there will be less prep work needed for custom cars. They are going to get the car over the winter.

Vik: Let me get all my stuff back and then I'll say who it was.

Old 09-25-2004, 04:49 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Oh my god Tim!!!! Those people cannot be serious

Just saw these pics...the first one is beyond description followed very closely by the gross paint mismatch...I hope you have possession of your car. I would not pay them a dime. Better yet, bill them for the additional cost of prepwork for having it done right. Sorry man....Hope you get a satisfactory resolution. I still can't believe they tried to pass that off on you...

Old 09-25-2004, 05:37 AM
alexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud ofalexWS6 has much to be proud of
Sorry for the problems, but that front end looks sweet on seal grey!

Old 09-25-2004, 07:02 AM
Dabum is an unknown quantity at this point
Atleast its a really nice looking bumper

Hope it works out

Old 09-25-2004, 07:21 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by alexWS6
Sorry for the problems, but that front end looks sweet on seal grey!
Oh yeah...a techart seal grey turbo is beyond sick!!!!

Old 09-25-2004, 07:49 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
you'd think with the kind of money techart charges for thier pieces, the fit would be a lot easier. i've recently learned an expensive lesson as to how much prep you have to have to do to get aftermarket body work to fit and look good.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:12 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by deputydog95
you'd think with the kind of money techart charges for thier pieces, the fit would be a lot easier. i've recently learned an expensive lesson as to how much prep you have to have to do to get aftermarket body work to fit and look good.
Actually they do fit better than most...

Old 09-25-2004, 11:09 AM
JASCLASS will become famous soon enoughJASCLASS will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by ColorChange
Shank: I know. I was trying to be cheap and knew I was taking a risk. THey did nothing that can't be fixed and now there will be less prep work needed for custom cars. They are going to get the car over the winter.

Vik: Let me get all my stuff back and then I'll say who it was.
You buy a six figure car and your trying to be cheap with modding it.
You are wrong when you say the next guy has less prep work to fix your problems, you have a bumper painted with a bad color match, the next guy has more work now to fix it.
Parts like this are hard to get a nice fit out of, OEM is the best way to go.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:24 PM
03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold03-turbo911 is a splendid one to behold
Your sense of humor about the whole thing is admirable. Otherwise, sorry to see it looking like this.

Old 09-25-2004, 09:14 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Tim,
Unless I am missing something, the two problems I see are the geometrical match up of the seam at the side markers. I didn't see any paint deficiencies although photos don't tell the story as well as real life. If it is simply the seam at the markers, I know from experience that there is adjustment in the bolted connection right behind those points. This holds true for the front and rear bumper covers.
If the paint work is acceptable, try this for the fit................

Front:
  1. Remove the wheels.
  2. Remove the inner plastic fender liner.
  3. Remove the marker light. It simply pulls out.
  4. There is a screw that is oriented vertically (tip pointed skyward) right behind the marker light recess. Loosen it.
  5. Push the TA bumper inward to align the fender and bumper panels.
  6. Tighten the screw.
  7. Reassemble liner, light and wheels.

Rear:
  1. Same as above except the screw can be accessed without removing the inner liner.

Of course, if the paintwork is bad, then it should go back. Having been involved (hands on, dust in the lungs..) with body mods, these misfits are common and not a big deal. Nonetheless, they should not have delivered the car to you in this condition.
Try the recipe above and see if it solves the problem.

Good luck!

The car looks great though!!! I want to see more overall pics Mr. Photoman!! Hop to it!!

Old 09-27-2004, 02:18 AM
JC996TT is on a distinguished road
The Tech art front bumper takes several modifications to the inner panels and replacement of ducts. It is hard to tell what the problem is but for $4k it should be a frickn' perfect fit for even a novice installer. Hell I had a client bring me a Gemballa wing (you know the $5k dollar one with room for a 3rd IC) I told him to send it back it was junk. He imediatly got angry with me saying he paid X dollars and its german and gemballa and so on. I grabbed the replacement lid put the wing on and showed him how out of 4 bolt holes only 3 could be used as the holes didnt line up on the fourth. Crappy quality of body parts these days. It usually takes me 2-3 parts before I get one quality enough to work with.

Old 09-28-2004, 01:57 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Originally posted by deputydog95

agreed, there are a bunch of high end pieces out there that fit like crap though. However I have found a few japanese tuners for imports that do make some kits that don't require much modification to fit. But I've also seen some very nice kits from places like veilside that don't fit for sh*t. You'd think they'd get it right. Esp. for the money they charge.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:34 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
fitment is never an issue if it's in good hands. it's understandable that people don't know how to do the work blame for the Techart quality.

Tim,
that's some scary pics!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unbelievably Bad Bodywork