996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Unbelievably Bad Bodywork

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 07:34 PM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Unbelievably Bad Bodywork

OK, I had a local shop take a crack at my bodywork. Here is what they thought was OK.

Front

Otherside

Rear

Color Match

This is one of the worst jobs I have ever seen. The color match isn't even close. There are significant orange peel differences, obviously huge body match problems ...

It's so bad it's funny bad. I knew this would be a big job for the shop but holy cow! Now, let's see how much of a problem I have when I tell him I will pay only $1,500 for basic prep work (he wants over $3,000). I'll have an update.

Enjoy the humor.

Last edited by ColorChange; 09-24-2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:00 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is on a distinguished road
The Type II takes some know how to get it to fit right. Not a simple take off the old and slap on the new. Guess they never did one before. If they had your car the color should not have been to hard to match....

Good luck...

Old 09-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Its ashame to see the crap that some of these shops send out. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:42 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Originally posted by Sloth
Its ashame to see the crap that some of these shops send out. Good luck.
Yeah Max... That makes me feel bad about what I was complaining about on my bumper....

And I got a new one out of it...

Old 09-24-2004, 08:47 PM
ColorChange is on a distinguished road
Gary, how bad was your original fit? The TA nose sticks out over 1/2" at the side mounting pads unless they put it on the car wrong. We also did a real lot on preping the surfaces. I expected better from TA. I also had all the cf parts clear coated so they look real nice now.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:04 PM
The Newest "Bling King"
Originally posted by ColorChange
Gary, how bad was your original fit? The TA nose sticks out over 1/2" at the side mounting pads unless they put it on the car wrong. We also did a real lot on preping the surfaces. I expected better from TA. I also had all the cf parts clear coated so they look real nice now.
My fit was no where as bad as yours... Some of it I attribute to bad prep. But when pictures were sent to T/A in Germany they agreed it was defective and acknowledged they had some issues with the Type II bumpers and were making a new mold. They took almost 8 months to get me a new one (from the new mold). I had to wait for all their Q/A process to be completed. It is ready to be put on I am just waiting for all these dam storms to go away...

Old 09-24-2004, 10:04 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Bend over Tim, here it comes......

All jokes aside, that's REALLY bad. Ya know, if you can't do the job, SAY you can't do it, especially on a car like that.

Attached Images  

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 09-24-2004, 10:47 PM
P O R S C H E
KSA Turbo is on a distinguished road
thats one of the worst things that could happen. SORRY MAN

Old 09-24-2004, 10:48 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
There was not enough prep work on the inside. We just finished one and the inside edges need to cleared to move around the inner frame. Do this and a little heat and the bumper will fit like a glove. Keep in mind that the mold is set that the edge comes out a hair, but to protrude on the other side is incorrect.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:07 PM
JC996TT is on a distinguished road
That bumper can be redone and painted again in just a few days they are real close. T/A bumpers are not easy to fit at all I am more suprised that they tried to deliver it like that. I guess it's the old you gave me these parts and they done fit so... Seal grey is the hardest porsche color to match period but they could have painted the tow hook cover for pete's sake.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:08 PM
JC996TT is on a distinguished road
Don"t = Done fit

Old 09-24-2004, 11:42 PM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Re: Unbelievably Bad Bodywork

Originally posted by ColorChange
, obviously huge body match problems ...

It's so bad it's funny bad. I knew this would be a big job for the shop but holy cow! Now, let's see how much of a problem I have when I tell him I will pay only $1,500 for basic prep work (he wants over $3,000). I'll have an update.

Enjoy the humor.

3K I had a whole color change done for that! (*although the guy did a ****ty job )

Last edited by HotRodGuy; 09-24-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2004, 12:09 AM
02TT_87GNX is on a distinguished road
I'd pay only 1K for that shoddy work, tell them you'll give them the other 2K once it is fitted/painted correctly.

Old 09-25-2004, 01:33 AM
996turbo will become famous soon enough
This is why I only like factory stuff. Personally, I'd go for a GT2 bumper myself .

Old 09-25-2004, 01:44 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by PorschePhD
the inside edges need to cleared to move around the inner frame. Do this and a little heat and the bumper will fit like a glove. Keep in mind that the mold is set that the edge comes out a hair, but to protrude on the other side is incorrect.
Bingo. I'm surprised they did not see this clearance issue while prepping. Obviously they've not fitted one before. We see this often. Sorry to see this kind of work. Hope you can find someone to get it right.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Unbelievably Bad Bodywork