996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HRE wheel question....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:42 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
HRE wheel question....

OK...I decided I'm going to paint/powdercoat the center (spokes only) of my newly acquired HRE 547's. I already powdercoated my stock wheels black so I don't want the HRE's all black too..

I have 3 questions:

1) Can I take the wheels apart? If unbolt them, does it matter what
spokes go to what wheel and the orientation of the spokes on the "hoop"? I was going to take them apart, drop the "spokes" off the be done while cleaning the "hoop" and polishing the lip.

2) Should I Paint or PowderCoat them? I've powder coated a few sets of wheels and was satisfied, but wondered if paint would look nicer. I want them gloss black this time. (My stock wheels are Satin black)

3) Should I clear coat the whole wheel when I'm done, or just clearcoat the black spokes (whether painted or powdercoated) and NOT clear the "hoop" so I can polish it with some Simichrome or something?

Some suggestions for people who have played the wheel game please!!!!

Mike

Old 02-21-2009, 08:24 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
First of all, I think that color combo is great. I wouldn't take them apart. Just mask the lip. Or does it have the little polished bolt heads all around the spokes. Those would be time consuming to mask. Good luck and take some pics.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:30 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
When the shop repaired the lip on one of mines, they said they took it apart; but it got to be painful with all those screws and nuts... and they are so tight.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:31 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MY996TT
When the shop repaired the lip on one of mines, they said they took it apart; but it got to be painful with all those screws and nuts... and they are so tight.

Thanks Todd...I do have all the small bolts, they are not the new 1pc billet. But the price was right!!!

996TT
Thats what I was wondering...how tight is tight? They look like small bolts.

50ft/lbs? 75ft/lbs? 100ft/lbs? I think taking them apart is the right way to be thorough...but it is a lot of bolts...I guess I better have my airgun and wrench ready to go...

Old 02-21-2009, 12:29 PM
Former Vendor
KrafTechnik will become famous soon enoughKrafTechnik will become famous soon enough
You can unbolt the wheels but I typically recommend you send them directly to the manufacturer for disassembly and refinishing. This way you can be sure that the wheels are reassembled using the correct torque specs and are evenly torqued so one end is not overdone. HRE uses a special tool to screw the rivets all to the same torque spec to ensure that the wheel has the proper run out. You can risk vibration and balancing issues if the wheel is not reassembled with this tooling.

For the finish, I would have them powdercoated. This is typically a more durable finish for wheels and gives you some options in terms of the color and texture. I would clear coat the finish and lip once completed to make cleaning and maintenance easier. Also apply a few coats of wax as it will make removing brake dust MUCH easier.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:45 PM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Thanks Todd...I do have all the small bolts, they are not the new 1pc billet. But the price was right!!!

996TT
Thats what I was wondering...how tight is tight? They look like small bolts.

50ft/lbs? 75ft/lbs? 100ft/lbs? I think taking them apart is the right way to be thorough...but it is a lot of bolts...I guess I better have my airgun and wrench ready to go...
Sorry, I do not know, the shop was in L.A. I tried tighten them just to be sure and none of them were moving.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond reputeHRE_Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
OK...I decided I'm going to paint/powdercoat the center (spokes only) of my newly acquired HRE 547's. I already powdercoated my stock wheels black so I don't want the HRE's all black too..

I have 3 questions:

1) Can I take the wheels apart? If unbolt them, does it matter what
spokes go to what wheel and the orientation of the spokes on the "hoop"? I was going to take them apart, drop the "spokes" off the be done while cleaning the "hoop" and polishing the lip.

2) Should I Paint or PowderCoat them? I've powder coated a few sets of wheels and was satisfied, but wondered if paint would look nicer. I want them gloss black this time. (My stock wheels are Satin black)

3) Should I clear coat the whole wheel when I'm done, or just clearcoat the black spokes (whether painted or powdercoated) and NOT clear the "hoop" so I can polish it with some Simichrome or something?

Some suggestions for people who have played the wheel game please!!!!

Mike

Hello Mike,

Please call into HRE and ask for Vince. You can call me directly if you wish and I will transfer you to him. He will give you a quote and I think you will find that the few extra dollars spent are cheap insurance to make sure everything is done correctly.

The powder coat will look great and is much more durable than paint. All of our standard colors are powder coated in house.

We brought all powder coating in house because it is critical that they are not baked for too long or at too high of a temperature. Both of these factors can reduce the integrity of a wheel and must be carefully monitored.

Also, when we disassemble and reassemble the wheels we use all new assembly hardware to ensure that your wheels are like new when they are shipped back out.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:45 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Another option.....disassemble yourself.....paint at a good shop locally.....send pieces to HRE for professional reassemble.
I can vouch for HRE's powder process now being very good (however the below were not powder and stood up well for 7 years).....painted to seal car color.
Personally can't imagine doing these wheels without dissassemly.

Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
DO NOT REASSEMBLE THE WHEELS YOURSELF.

Dude, i did the same with my wheel a few months back, and it nearly cost me my car + a bad potential accident

i took my wheels apart, had the centers repainted, and put everythign back together..

the center pieces were not bolted with the right torque specs on EVERY SINGLE bolt, and thus created a weak spot on one side of the wheels, after a few weeks, i ended up having 2 of the spokes crack due to stress

and it just so happened, that the particular wheels i had were a one off set for the owner of JIC, so i had to purchase four new centers

take the wheels apart, have them POWDER COATED,
DO NOT PAINT THEM because the clearcoat almost always comes off because the brake dust starts to pit them and causes tiny burns in the clear coat, which spread when u clean your wheels with a power wash

trust me on this

Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
TTBoost
Trust me on this.
Don't have your wheels painted where Steve does

Old 02-23-2009, 12:46 PM
DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !DNugget991GT3 Is a GOD !
^ lol !!!

gregg, powdercoated wheels are also much less prone to chipping

Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
I hear ya Steve.....and agree.
I do have a good local shop I've worked w/for years and the work they do may be atypical.
I used to buy wheels in pieces from Fikse and HRE (back when they did that).
Here's a few of the wheels.......only one set in this particular pile is powdered.
BTW.....I've since gone to multiple Tire Rack wall mount racks in an effort to free up some floor space
It worked.....I recomend em.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks Steve and Greg...points taken. I will likely call HRE and see what they have to say and of course what they will charge me. I have the exact same wheels, Greg.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:06 PM
gregg
those benz wheels look sick
all of them lol
i love the old E .. rememebr the sledgehammer ?

Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Be careful with the powdercoat as well. If you overheat the part during the cure you will ruin the heat-treatment.

At the end of the day, it is best just to send them to us.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HRE wheel question....