996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DE Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:28 AM
GBG
GBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the rough
DE Newbie Questions

Hey guys,

I'm interested in doing a DE day. This would be my first. A few questions:

1. Is the first step to sign up with a local chapter of PCA and then go from there?

2. I live in NY, but am very close to Connecticut, is there any difference between Ct. vs. NY chapters?

3. I have a cab. Would I need a roll bar installed in order to particpate?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gary

Old 02-25-2009, 08:36 AM
dublinoh will become famous soon enoughdublinoh will become famous soon enough
Just the first question...PCA is a great place to start.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
I have not been tracking yet, but I've been looking into it...

1. Joining PCA is a good idea for DE beginners. They usually have a couple of DE instructors in the chapter that can answer your questions. PCA members are mixed up with a less aggressive diverse crowd so it is easier for beginners to fit in. In additional, you can track with other P-cars and feel more comfortable.

2. Find out who the chapter presidents are and ask them.

3. In California, it depends on the track. Cabs are okay for most tracks as long as you are equiped with the pop-up bars (came standard with the newer TT Cabs).

Old 02-25-2009, 08:51 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by GBG
Hey guys,

1. Is the first step to sign up with a local chapter of PCA and then go from there?

2. I live in NY, but am very close to Connecticut, is there any difference between Ct. vs. NY chapters?

Gary
Hey Gary,

Sign yourself up with your (our) local chapter of the PCA. I highly suggest attending a monthly meeting and meeting with other members in your (our) area.

You will meet some great people, that will be willing to help you through your first couple events.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GBG
Hey guys,

Gary
Join the national PCA (to do that you will have to align yourself with a local chapter); most chapters (certainly all of the chapters I am aware of in Ohio, Pa, Mi and Indiana) offer discounts to DEs for PCA members that equal the cost of membership. Plus you get Panorama magazine which is pretty nice IMO.

I am not familiar with NY or Ct chapters but it has been my experience that local chapter members get preference for the DEs they sponsor. So for example if there is a particular DE in Ct that you would like to attend you might want to join the chapter that sponsors/organizes it. I don't want to suggest that if you are a member of one chapter you are automatically locked out of attending another chapters DEs because I have attended and instructed in numerous PCA DEs organized by chapters other than my "home" chapter. I guess all I am saying is use some logic and do some due diligence in selecting a home chapter.

As far as your cab is concerned PCA has pretty specific rules about saftey equipment. All of that is at the national PCA site that I included above. It is best if you familarize yourself first hand with that info and then contact the local PCA chapter in your area (perhaps the one that might become your home chapter) for additional information.

Regardless, get that Porsche to the track. Be safe, have fun; you'll be glad you did.

Last edited by mxk116; 02-25-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:01 AM
tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !tom kerr Is a GOD !
PCA is the best way to start out. most regions are very strict, run groups are by driving level and not mixed and are very safe. also all the instructors are nationally certified.
look at the sites for tracks closest to you and sign up. read alot before you go so you dont show up not knowing what an early apex or tracking out means. also good idea to learn the meanings of the flags before you get there.
as for the car your cab is fine for this level. just make sure you download the tech form and have the car teched by your mechanic. make sure you have a fresh brake flush and your front pads are better than 50%
the track is where your car was made for I hope you do it and let us know how it goes, it will be one of the best days of your life!!!!
(also dont let anyone tell someone at your level to "turn off your PSM" that my friend for your first DE would be a big mistake with that car!)
also helpful would be to goggle vids of cars on the track at the track you will be driving. I usually study the track before I go and have an idea of where the turns are and what number they are. all this will give you a much better first experience, cause initially it will be senory overload!
also many great cars and drivers in your area with this car. hook up with these guys at the same event, hopefully the NY boys will chime in for you (Martin?)

Last edited by tom kerr; 02-25-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
GBG
GBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the roughGBG is a jewel in the rough
Thanks guys for the excellent responses! Tom and mxk-- I really appreciate the time and effort. I will jon PCA and look into a few local events. Limerock track is very close to me.

I did some preliminary research, and it appears that PCA requires roll bars in cabs (not coupes) for all DE events (except "Novice Days"), and the 996 cab roll bars kill the use of the back seat. See pic that I found on this site. This is a problem for me because I often have a kid in the back during my regular use of the car.

Question: I have the OEM hardtop sitting in my garage; if I put this on, is my car DE eligible under PCA rules? I couldn't seem to find that that Q&A in my research. Thanks.

Gary

Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Tboy911 is on a distinguished road
www.pdadrivingschool.com is another group that runs at limerock.

Good guys, I've done about 10-12 events with them.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by GBG
Question: I have the OEM hardtop sitting in my garage; if I put this on, is my car DE eligible under PCA rules? I couldn't seem to find that that Q&A in my research. Thanks.

Gary
I don't think so. It doesn't offer the roll-over protection equivalent to a coupe and will still be considered a cab.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 AM
GBG
Originally Posted by Al Norton
I don't think so. It doesn't offer the roll-over protection equivalent to a coupe and will still be considered a cab.
Thanks Al. What you said makes perfect sense. But this morning I found the following language on the PCA website under the "sample rules" section. Fortuneately, these rules appear to be the rules of my local track (Limerock), but they also appear to be from 2002 so I wonder if they are outdated.

"Lime Rock Park will enforce new rules (2002) which require all cabriolets to have a roll bar that is fixed and visible at all times (not pop up) plus allows the driver to pass the "broomstick rule" (top of helmet under a line drawn from the top of the windshield to the top of the bar). Boxsters and 996's will be allowed to run with hardtops in place instead of meeting the rollbar and broomstick rules. Please see the attached addendum from LRP."

Excerpt from http://www.pca.org/drivers_ed/rules.html. (emphasis added)

Anyone else have any info re: whether a factory hardtop in place satisfies the PCA's roll bar requirement for cabs? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 AM
Al Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud ofAl Norton has much to be proud of
That segment of the rule outline appears to be track-specific. I believe some tracks have rules concerning convertibles that supercede those of any club. It relates to the track's liability coverage and not that of the club.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 AM
GBG
Originally Posted by Al Norton
That segment of the rule outline appears to be track-specific. I believe some tracks have rules concerning convertibles that supercede those of any club. It relates to the track's liability coverage and not that of the club.
I think you're correct, thanks Al. I need to look into the issue a bit more. Thanks