996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Clutch recommendations for 600hp+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULIEWALNUTS
I have been told if you do not track your car (1/4 mile aggressive starts) that a Clutch Master stg 3 is the way to go.I have 24/18's & I do not drag race my car,I prefer being a garage queen who only backs her car out in the driveway to wash, wax, and look at once a month,If I wanted to drag race I would of bought a old mustang & put a high horsepower motor in it at a fraction of the cost.IMO Porsche's are not set up for drag racing.
fixed

Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 AM
PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !PAULIEWALNUTS Is a GOD !
^^^^^ha ha go change your diapers.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
justinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to beholdjustinn is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by MSCaymanS
Hey Wes, will taking the spring out make taking off in 1st a lot smoother. Right now I'm not real smooth with my Turbo but I have never had problems with any of the other manual cars I've had/driven.
I am not Wes, and removing the spring will not teach you how to become Michael Shumacher overnight, BUT it will make the possibility of engaging the clutch in 1st gear much smoother.

Listen, The fulcrum point on the stock clutch or a stock type clutch is right in the middle, so the spring works fine. We do not have said clutches, and therefore need to change our fulcrum point. THat's impossible with the damn helper spring in there as it chooses for you. Just remove it, if you don't like it, then reinstall it. Anyone with a CM Stage 3 or 4 will love it after you've 86'd that piece.

If for some reason it's still unbearable, then switch everything over to GT2 hardware....

Justin

Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 AM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
thanks I'll try that out!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:38 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like taking the spring out is the way to go..I remember taking apart my pedal assembly in my supra and man it was a pain putting it back together. Trying to adjust the pedal travel was a pain in that car, then pedal stop, then hydraulic setup=pain. I hope the 996tt is easier to play with the clutch pedal.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I don't think he means "pedal pressure", I think he means it lets up high and it's only got about a 1/2" of actuation, like me. It doesn't slip out well.
Yeah I know. I still just personally don't find it that difficult.

But do I still stall it occasionally? Yes.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by flash68
Yeah I know. I still just personally don't find it that difficult.

But do I still stall it occasionally? Yes.
Yeah, me too. I didn't know about the "spring thing". Gonna try that tonight, if I have time.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MSCaymanS
Hey Wes, will taking the spring out make taking off in 1st a lot smoother. Right now I'm not real smooth with my Turbo but I have never had problems with any of the other manual cars I've had/driven.
Removing the Spring will help, part of the problem you are likely having is a result of the accumulator setup. In a 996tt pressure is taken from the power steering setup and diverted to the clutch accumulator to soften the pedal feel. Most cars do not have a setup like this (even more Porsches) so it will take a bit to get used to, the spring mod will not fix it, however it will help change the engagement point and make for better " feel" of where the engagement comes in even with the accumulator.

Originally Posted by ari
Don't get the LWFW. It's hard to modulate in bumper to bumper traffic and is worse for hard launches. Trust me I just did it.

John@speedtech has the 411 on the sweet setup. Ping him. You order a specific Sachs pressure plate and have it fortified by clutchmasters for more clamping force (fulcrum mod).

Have you looked at a Clutchmasters pressure plate in comparison to the 999? Take a look at the casting numbers,etc on their white painted pressure plates and you'll understand why most prefer the Stage 3 clutch kits they offer for your basic modified car.

Also as far as the lightweight flywheel goes, the chatter is something that you have to get used to in your head, however the drivability can be adjusted in your tune. If you installed a lightweight flywheel and you didn't retune the car or have your tuner compensate for the reduction in rotational mass, I can understand why you took it out (although a retune would have obviously been a lot cheaper than pulling the transmission again).

*ninja edit* THANKS JUSTIN

Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !
Yeah, me too. I didn't know about the "spring thing". Gonna try that tonight, if I have time.
Make sure you have at least a 6pack of beer in the fridge when you perform this mod, you're going to need it to numb your back after and calm your nerves after removal.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onelove
Make sure you have at least a 6pack of beer in the fridge when you perform this mod, you're going to need it to numb your back after and calm your nerves after removal.
Thanks Wes...Don't drink...but my nieghbor is a little guy and I think he drinks

I don't have and never had chatter, but my clutch actuation is very high and very short. Will this spring removal change where it lets up and change the feel?

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Former Vendor
Definately moves the engagement point more towards the floor, and since you're not fighting the spring tension it feels much easier to find the release point.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by onelove
Definately moves the engagement point more towards the floor, and since you're not fighting the spring tension it feels much easier to find the release point.

Sounds like a slam dunk. DYING to try it now...

Thanks Wes...

Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM
UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !UrbanHotrod Is a GOD !
I didn't take my spring out but shortened th pin and find it a lot better now that i have over a 1000 miles on it.
Very little to no chatter at all.
And it holds like a mother!! I will swear by this clutch!! if it were a bit easier to launch the car out of the bucket it would be amazing!!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I just removed my spring about 10 minutes ago. Raining, so I don't feel like going out right now, but backing in and around the garage it definitely feels better. and yes, easier if you are 22in tall with 6in arms...

Old 06-11-2009, 05:44 PM
SleeperX is on a distinguished road
I just removed my spring about 10 minutes ago. Raining, so I don't feel like going out right now, but backing in and around the garage it definitely feels better. and yes, easier if you are 22in tall with 6in arms...
How difficult was it to remove the spring. Please explain. I have the same clutch setup and I am pretty much the only person that can drive my car. I hear that this clutch setup is easier to drive in the GT2. Not sure why? Lastly, does your car shake when launching in 1st as you release the clutch or do I simply not know how to drive my car. (Wes please feel free to chime in as well).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations for 600hp+