996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

2 kids died on my street today while street racing!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 12:24 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
You cant honestly say the two fast and the furious movies didn't glorify street racing, running from police etc. I have heard of many copycats trying some of the things they saw in those movies, and winding up dead. I know its all entertainment, maybe a "R" Rating would help. These movies are aimed directly at the young inexperienced driving age group.

Check out this article.
http://www.jsonline.com/onwisconsin/...us30062901.asp

This was taken from a Toronto newspaper.

After the crash, the Ontario Provincial Police said it was a sign dangerous street racing is gaining renewed popularity -- driven by the new street racing movie "2 Fast 2 Furious." OPP officer Cam Wooley described the accident as "a scene right out of 2 Fast 2 Foolish."

Worried about young copycat drivers emulating the high-speed stunts of the movie, Wooley says street racing is a growing problem among young drivers "who have a lack of realization that they're not invincible."

But he said photo radar would do little to curb the problem. Wooley said a better solution would be to have more police patrolling the streets.

Last edited by Shawn C; 10-15-2004 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:32 AM
craiglieberman is on a distinguished road
I can skew it my way, too, so again, I disagree with those who chose to blame anyone but the perpetrators.

In both movies, nearly every single time there was speed or illegal road activities, there were consequences:

Crashes
Injuries
Destruction of the vehicle
Cops giving chase

..consequences.

Let us not forget: illegal street racing has been around for 50 years, and neither TF &TF movie introduced what wasn't already there.

You may blame those movies for the prepondorous of ugly cars and bad graphics, but as for street racing, we can't be hypocrites and admit that while we've all done it, its' still wrong. If someone wrecks doing it, its' their own fault. If someone is hurt, we all agree its tragic....but let the perpetrators absorb the full responsibility.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:33 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
We cannot agree that movies cause this but we can agree that it's the "inexperienced driving age group" that does. Driver's Ed is a joke, driving around with your child does not do it either. These kids need real drivers education like the teen safety program at www.audidrivingexperience.com. This is a teen specific course designed to develop teens skills and knowledge. It is not a racing school.

My son has spent hours at the race track with me as a passenger. He went to Drivers Ed and spent many hours driving with me. When I sent him to the Audi course, it was eye opening for him. The drills they do really open the eyes of teens. IMO we need training like that for all teens.

Roy

ps. I read a report a couple of years back that was the result of a multi-year study on teen accidents in Georgia. The top three reasons were, speed, inexperience, poor roads, in that order. The poor roads was discussing that many roads here are paved cart paths, curvy, hilly, and trees on both sides. A small mistake there kills... No movies in the report at all.

Last edited by Tpup; 10-15-2004 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Roy for PRESIDENT!! You've got my vote!

Old 10-15-2004, 12:35 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Lieberman, no offense, but both of those movies were showcases for reckless driving. No amount of PSA's and "concern" from the producers would counteract the influence these movies have on the younger kids who watch them.

I mean I'm just as guilty cause I watch formula one and then go drive like Takuma Sato. I may be a bit wiser about what roads I choose to drive on and when, and maybe show a bit more discretion but thats not saying much.

I don't think we should ban this stuff but its pretty obvious to me that it does have an impact on people.

On a positive note, I couldn't agree more on a much stricter regimen to acquire a license. I readily admit it would have been very beneficial to me during the first few years behind the wheel.

Old 10-15-2004, 12:37 AM
None taken. Again, we just have a slightly different view....

One interesting footnote:

Although the movie was NOT Rated R, it WAS PG13...which means parents should exercise caution about letting their kids see it. Did the parents know the kids were seeing this movie, or what it contained?

Hmmmm.....makes you think twice about what is 'appropriate' for 13-17 year olds.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:49 AM
Mercedes Benz will become famous soon enoughMercedes Benz will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by Shawn C
What community? Im in Heron Bay. We're neighbours.
I'm your neighbor 2! I am also in Heron bay.

When i saw this accedent for the first time yestuday i had no idea what happened since they closed that small portion of coral ridge. Then i saw on the news what happened and was shocked that they were still there at 4:00 when this happened at 9:30AM. Man i passed that tree last night and its really ripped outta the ground.

Old 10-15-2004, 02:50 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !
Movies don't kill people, people kill people

Old 10-15-2004, 08:18 AM
Banned
Matt Fresh is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by rakjoe
Great, let's blame it on the movie !
let's ban those movies and maybe the Internet too.
6speed is pro speed pro death, ban it!
our youth should be speared of those anti social behavior mediums yada,yada,yada...

BACK TO THE U.S.S.R
exactly... the people who say that it is the movie's fault are the same narrow minded people who blame Marylin Manson for the Columbine shootings. It is the parents fault for not raising their kids properly, and teaching them to think about the consequences of their actions before they make decisions impulsively. It is the parents fault for letting their kids drive recklessly, and allowing them to obtain their drivers license at too early of an age. There are several other factors too, but the last thing you can do is blame a movie, or some 3rd party for someone else's idiotic choices. If we all thought like that, then censorship would rule the country and ban us from seeing or doing just about anything... of course, some people actually think this would be a good idea.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:38 AM
CFZ
CFZ is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Shawn C
What community? Im in Heron Bay. We're neighbours.
Cool, I'm in The Isles. A friend of mine used to live in Heron Bay... nice community!

Old 10-15-2004, 09:08 AM
Periokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud ofPeriokid has much to be proud of
While I agree that the movies aren't the cause of accidents, I still feel they don't help. You can't say they don't influence people.

Ultimately it falls on parenting. I totally agree with the driver training courses. I think that is a must. I plan on having my son take such courses. Of course I still have 15 years

Old 10-15-2004, 09:49 AM
rakjoe can only hope to improve
Movies don't help? They shore can...
2fast2f is not graphic enough; it fails like other PG-13'S to show the REAL consequences of reckless driving like:
Bone crushing, scull fractures and the full extent of the trauma to human bodies when trapped in 3000 lbs of mostly metal mass traveling at the velocity of over 100mph decelerate abruptly as a result of impact with a stationary or an opposite moving object of similar or greater mass.
Show that and you have extremely good educating tool, think about it.
We all been there, some of us still drive over our heads, graphic pictures of human trauma as a result of an accident will never fail to slow us down!
The youth need more pictures like 2f2f but this time please show us all the way from the accident scene to the trauma room to the grave.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Banned
I still say it is the fault of parenting and the education system (which is the choice of the parents) in this cirumstance. When I went to driver's education at my school at the age of 15, we had to watch a video called "Mechanized Death," which showed the aftermaths of several horrific car accidents in pretty good detail. Granted, the movie was about as old as our teacher, but you still got the picture.

If kids are taught well by the parents, the driver's educator, etc. they will most likely not make stupid decisions to race on the streets and drive drunk. But even with all this education, some kids just dont care (I sure didnt at that age) and will act impulsively no matter what. Kids think they are invincible, and many of them dont think before they act, until something really bad happens to them or someone close to them. This is never going to change... the best solution IMO is to not let kids drive alone w/o a parent, or another adult until a certain age. Although this makes it more inconvenient for many parents, most high school kids are not responsible enough to be driving from my experience. I will use myself as a perfect example. I drove like a reckless idiot all the time when I was that age, got in a few accidents and had a serious run in with the police that involved a helicopter and my license being suspended for more than a year while driving a 993 Porsche. It took me a long time to wake up, and I will admit that I still mess around with people on the freeway, etc. My point is that when I was that age I could have easily killed myself and many others, and I am one lucky SOB that I didnt.

BTW, I did all this stuff years before F&F came out, and movies had nothing to do with what I was doing. I just liked fast cars, and didnt think about the trouble I could get in by being stupid. You cant blame the movies, that is a cop-out. Like I said before, the movies have as much to do with those kids racing as Marilyn Manson had to do with the Columbine shootings. If it is the fault of movies, then I guess "Independence Day" inspired Sept. 11th, and "Heat" was the cause for the Hollywood bank robbery massicare with the SWAT team.

Last edited by Matt Fresh; 10-15-2004 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Blazin Civic is on a distinguished road
This street racing garbage is getting out of hand. The honda community is losing like one person a week just from message forums not to mention people we never hear about. Biggest problem with a lot of these kids racing is they are doing it in cars that were never ment go as fast as they are going. Look you're civic can have 500whp fairly easily these days and very little people know how to control that. Combine that with poor traction, a 2,200 pound car not ment for impacts or high speeds and general inexperiance and you got the streets covered with dead kids and innocent bystanders. I don't care if you run into some other fast car on an empty major highway at night but stop racing down school zones and **** at 3pm.

Old 10-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned
Originally posted by Blazin Civic
This street racing garbage is getting out of hand. The honda community is losing like one person a week just from message forums not to mention people we never hear about. Biggest problem with a lot of these kids racing is they are doing it in cars that were never ment go as fast as they are going. Look you're civic can have 500whp fairly easily these days and very little people know how to control that. Combine that with poor traction, a 2,200 pound car not ment for impacts or high speeds and general inexperiance and you got the streets covered with dead kids and innocent bystanders. I don't care if you run into some other fast car on an empty major highway at night but stop racing down school zones and **** at 3pm.
The easiest way to stop this **** from happening is to majorly increase the penalties for street racing. If you were looking at 6 months to a year in jail for racing, people would think twice about it for sure. But a 3 month suspension of your license, and driving safety classes is a joke to most people.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2 kids died on my street today while street racing!