996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New EPL dyno #'s!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Yup, looks like something's choking it alright. I've not seen enough 996TT sheets to know much about how the curve ought to look but to go from peak power down like that a restriction is a good bet IMO. I know the boost was dropping too so actually that could support that theory as well maybe. A handy dandy vac gauge plumbed in there somewhere ought to tell the tale. Could be piping, MAF, dirty air filter, who knows. I'm open to suggestions and I'll try to figure it out when we get it here. Puzzles are fun

My car drops off at the exact same spot too. It has done it stock and at EVERY level of upgrade. It seemed to not be as bad this last time around with the Meth tune, but dropped off nontheless...

Old 05-05-2009, 08:00 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by basupra
I'm sure that it would have. If I can make it out to the track Friday, I will see what she traps and that will give you a little more data as well.
The track that I will be taking the car too is VERY stingy on mph though, as on my IS300 I trapped 3 mph less with more boost than at a different track about 50 miles apart!!

Tim

Our local track here is VERY stingy too. I've run 1-3 mph faster at New Jersey tracks and a New Hampshire track.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
Originally Posted by ttboost
My car drops off at the exact same spot too. It has done it stock and at EVERY level of upgrade. It seemed to not be as bad this last time around with the Meth tune, but dropped off nontheless...
Thats VERY interesting!! I was just looking at Wes' (Titans) dyno graph that they just posted, and their car does the EXACT same thing too!!! Must be a Porsche thing
Maybe Tony or someone else can chime in with some good info. on that subject. I'm a little baffled by it.

Tim

Old 05-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Thats VERY interesting!! I was just looking at Wes' (Titans) dyno graph that they just posted, and their car does the EXACT same thing too!!! Must be a Porsche thing
Maybe Tony or someone else can chime in with some good info. on that subject. I'm a little baffled by it.

Tim

I just checked all my dyno graphs and it IS more pronounced with higher HP levels and more boost, leading me to believe the piping starts becoming a restriction at the 525whp level and obviously gets worse the more power you make. The other clue is the amount the TQ drops off too. It really takes a dive after peak.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !Swole Powell Is a GOD !
The intake piping does hold back alittle bit of power, but I think the wastegates are whats holding you back from going up in boost. But on Chris car we couldnt get pass 1.3 bar with the 1 bar actuators and we thought it was the boost controller then we thought it was the pipping so we changed both and still were stuck at 1.3 bar. We then upgraded to tial 44mm wastegates and boom 1.5 and 1.6 bar and could crank it up more but we all knows thats not a good idea. We also made 657rwhp sae with stock intake pipping.
Matt
BTW: Those number are badass, I didnt even know you were selling it lucky new owner!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 AM
Former Vendor
onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !onelove Is a GOD !

Tim
We don't have the stock intake piping on our car, we went with a 2.5" tube that puts the filter in the fenderwell. We've been logging everything as we go, Darin noted the car was pulling 15% throttle after being at 22lbs for an extended period of time. I talked to Tony and this is indeed a failsafe written into the factory ECU, we're going to remove it and see if it fixes the problem. It was so noticeable at the higher horsepower pulls that I could notice from the outside of the car the engine being pulled down a bit.

The only other thing I've noticed is the factory actuators won't let us to make must more boost without modifying them, something we'll look into down the road. This could be contributing to the boost fall-off, but the throttle pullback seems a much more noticeable problem.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by onelove
We don't have the stock intake piping on our car, we went with a 2.5" tube that puts the filter in the fenderwell. We've been logging everything as we go, Darin noted the car was pulling 15% throttle after being at 22lbs for an extended period of time. I talked to Tony and this is indeed a failsafe written into the factory ECU, we're going to remove it and see if it fixes the problem. It was so noticeable at the higher horsepower pulls that I could notice from the outside of the car the engine being pulled down a bit.

The only other thing I've noticed is the factory actuators won't let us to make must more boost without modifying them, something we'll look into down the road. This could be contributing to the boost fall-off, but the throttle pullback seems a much more noticeable problem.

I think that is the problem we're having with my car. Waste gate duty cycle? I think we need to give my rods a turn or two. Also need to check and see if I have the same 15% TB issue.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Ah very interesting and thank you for the additional info on the throttle pull back Wes! Tony has also tuned on this car. When I've got the car in my possession I will see if I can get to the bottom of the issue and document it for others. I won't have a Durametric right off the bat and will need to renew some contacts for dyno time but I'll do my best to help out others documenting this. Sadly I don't see myself going to fender intakes unless Tony has code for swapping MAF etc.. He and I haven't spoken but when I dig into this I expect we'll be chatting :-)

Again, thanks for the additional insight!

Edit: Just saw your post concerning the throttle draw back in the other thread. Tim made me aware of an overboost setting in the ECU and that Tony can modify it, perhaps this is one and the same. IMO a very good feature to have as I've had interesting things occur leading to an overboost - to include a danged mouse chewing on a silicone hose under my hood one night! You continue to tempt me with this Motec talk

Last edited by BLKMGK; 05-06-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Tim,
Do you plan to get back into another supra?

Jim,
Long time no see or hear, I remember when the red car broke 10s at the MIR rental; you guys went nuts.

-Val T.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 AM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ttboost
I think that is the problem we're having with my car. Waste gate duty cycle? I think we need to give my rods a turn or two. Also need to check and see if I have the same 15% TB issue.
Just got finished tuning in my meth kit tonight and picked up some good power.

We did notice that we cranked the boost duty cycle to 90-100% and we were not able to get above 1.35 bar. This is on the upgraded 1 bar actuators I got with my K24/18s from Protomotive.

Last edited by dgreen78; 05-15-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:28 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dgreen78

We did notice that we cranked the boost duty cycle to 90-100% and we were not able to get above 1.35 bar. This is on the upgraded 1 bar actuators I got with my K24/18s from Protomotive.
Don,

This is fairly typical of what we've seen lately with factory control and EBC's.

TTboost is in the same boat and so is Wes with the camo car.

We'll be adjusting TTboost wastegates shortly, talk to Jason about doing the same. In the mean time, enjoy the new power!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:34 AM
basupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nicebasupra is just really nice
Originally Posted by dgreen78

Yep, same here as well.

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Don,

This is fairly typical of what we've seen lately with factory control and EBC's.

TTboost is in the same boat and so is Wes with the camo car.

We'll be adjusting TTboost wastegates shortly, talk to Jason about doing the same. In the mean time, enjoy the new power!
Tony-Send me that new file please!!!

Thanks, Tim

Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM
1a1
1a1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
Ah very interesting and thank you for the additional info on the throttle pull back Wes! Tony has also tuned on this car. When I've got the car in my possession I will see if I can get to the bottom of the issue and document it for others. I won't have a Durametric right off the bat and will need to renew some contacts for dyno time but I'll do my best to help out others documenting this. Sadly I don't see myself going to fender intakes unless Tony has code for swapping MAF etc.. He and I haven't spoken but when I dig into this I expect we'll be chatting :-)

Again, thanks for the additional insight!

Edit: Just saw your post concerning the throttle draw back in the other thread. Tim made me aware of an overboost setting in the ECU and that Tony can modify it, perhaps this is one and the same. IMO a very good feature to have as I've had interesting things occur leading to an overboost - to include a danged mouse chewing on a silicone hose under my hood one night! You continue to tempt me with this Motec talk
Hey buddy,

Glad to see you getting into another turbo car. I always wondered what happened to you after you quit posting over on Supraforums. Glad to see all is well. Congrats on the purchase.

Steve K.

Old 05-16-2009, 12:47 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Exclamation Wall of text to follow - it was an adventure!

Wow, more familiar faces! How goes it everyone?

I picked the car up from Tim yesterday morning, it's an animal! I've not driven a fast car in awhile and this is going to take some getting used to. I and a friend of mine flew in Friday morning and Tim picked us up from the airport not far from his home in Indiana. we looked the car over, went for a ride, and then took it to the local shop to get it in the air and install the front driveshaft. Tim had removed this for dyno runs and not knowing when I'd get to it I wanted it back in the car before I headed home. Buttoned up we were on the road about 1:00PM.

A bit over 2 hours later we were coming down an offramp to swap drivers when I heard a pretty disturbing THRUM sound from the back of the car. It was quickly obvious that this was power steering related as it got worse when I wagged the wheel. Pulling over and shutting it down immedietly we found the entire back of the car covered in grease, a fairly steady drip was coming from the middle of the car, left side. The P/S resevoir dipstick showed no fluid. Much phone calling and Internet traffic ensued. I also discovered that the local quickie mart sold nothing remotely close to Porsche Pentosin P/S fluid! Google via friends found that in a pinch pure synthetic ATF could be used in a pinch. More Google found a local auto parts store that had some of this. As it happened a guy driving a heavily modded EVO had pulled over to see if he could help. He was on a 23 hour straight road trip from Colorado with his large Rottweiler riding shotgun in place of the front passenger seat. He drove me to the store and even ended up paying after I discovered that my wallet had been left in the car. <sigh> They mystery EVO driver was soon back on the road with his dog (Diesel who leaned into hard corners like a motorcyclist) having saved our bacon. My thanks to him! The fluid did stop the groaning but the leak obviously continued. The local Porsche dealer said that their techs had left early as it was Friday, that they could write the job up Monday, but that they couldn't work on the car until at least Wednesday when their Porsche master tech returned from vacation - ouch! I have to fly out of town this week for work travel and my friend also needed to be home.

At this point Tim had managed to get hold of a friend of his, Jay from JayRacing. Jay was just 5 miles from us and had a lift open. It was a scene from Gone in 60 Seconds as we pulled off the driveway and straight into a bay. The car was quickly in the air. What we discovered was that a hardline from the back of the car going into what we later found was the clutch slave was leaking heavily. We were able to get a 13mm wrench on it with much effort and screw it down a few more turns. Unfortunatly the leak continued barely slowed.

Over the 6 hours+ hours that followed we managed to unscrew, clean the fitting, apply sealant to the threads, and reinstall things. The leak continued, worse if nothing, fluid comes up via the middle of the fitting around the tube - the threads are fine and the fitting appears to be seated fully. These guys fabricated tools, destroying their own to do it, and pretty much did it all trying to help, their generosity to assist was stunning, I was humbled at their willingness to help strangers bound only by being "car guys" and a faint remembrance of assistance provided in the past on various boards.

As it happens we were close to a major airpport, flights home were over $500 a ticket but a one way rental was just $88. We chose the latter and drove the next 7+ hours home. Jay from JayRacing even drove us to the airport! I got home almost exactly 24 hours from my departure having not slept at all, ouch. Jay and Jeff refused any and all remitance for their efforts on a late Friday evening having dropped all other work - they even insisted that we leave with T-shirts for their shop!

Switzer's shop is 196 miles from Jay's place, the local Porsche dealer is 30. Jay and Jeff have said they will try again today - they are quite frustrated at not being able to fix this. Transport to Switzer is an issue and he's booked for the next week with other regularly scheduled work, the local Porsche dealer may get a shot at this. Having just popped for the entry price on the car I'm bracing myself for their estimate, I hadn't budgeted for this!

Some things I want to make clear: The car had a clutch done recently, the shop that did the work says they didn't crack open the lines, it wasn't needed in order to do the work. Tim drove the car 5+ hours from that shop home with no issues and drove it around his town afterwards. When the car was on the rack to put in the front shaft I got a pretty good look at the underside, neither Tim nor I spotted any issues. Jay and Jeff at JayRacing did backflips for us. The fed us, they watered us, they even took me and my friend to the airport while refusing to accept any money. These people and their family were some of the nicest I could have encountered on what has to be one of the toughest situations so far from home. These guys are into DSM, send some work their way please! The EVO driver, the friends doing research, and Tim's help from afar were all much appreciated. Tim is as frustrated as I am with this situation, I'm just glad we caught it before the pump burned up or worse the entire car from the flammable Petosin that covered the back end! I am hoping to recover the car this next weekend by either flying or driving out and then driving back - fingers crossed it is uneventful!

P.S. Thanks for "listening". Much going on here aside from the car thing and getting this out here was helpful for my mental state!

Last edited by BLKMGK; 05-16-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 12:58 PM
SIC996 is infamous around these parts
Hope for the best! I am sure you consider yourself lucky, as if it were me I'd be standed in a desert alone!! Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New EPL dyno #'s!!!