996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Racing Fuels, stated not legal for street use?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Alpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud ofAlpha has much to be proud of
Racing Fuels, stated not legal for street use?

I went to the VP Racing Fuels website, and came across this:

"In California (as in other states), leaded and unleaded racing fuel is legal for use only in racing vehicles, not on a public highway. The only fuel sold by VP Racing Fuels which is legal for street use or non-competition uses in the State of California is Streetblaze 100 ethanol enriched Phase III gasoline. With that one exception, all of VP's racing fuels are only legal for use in a competition vehicle not used on public highways. The racing fuels may not be used for recreational offroading or other non-competition uses."

What's up with that?

Old 05-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I only use racing fuel in Mexico.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
don't you love our legal system....LOL

Old 05-30-2009, 06:25 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Is anything legal in CA?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:32 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
Yeah, taxation.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
I was talking to a fellow Rennlister today who said he took his car into the dealership for some issue....and the mechanic walked up, took a sniff, and said...I see you're using racing fuel. I didn't realize you could smell the difference. This is the first I've heard about the prohibition of racing fuel on the highway. Lots of guys run a partial mixed tank to up the octane rating a couple notches. Has anyone on the forum ever been stopped or questioned about having racing fuel in the tank? I know that agricultural fuels use a purple dye that CHP can see coming out the exhaust and if you get busted running agricultural fuel on a public highway (Ag fuel is VERY inexpensive....no taxes on it) it's like a $1,000 fine.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I was talking to a fellow Rennlister today who said he took his car into the dealership for some issue....and the mechanic walked up, took a sniff, and said...I see you're using racing fuel. I didn't realize you could smell the difference. This is the first I've heard about the prohibition of racing fuel on the highway. Lots of guys run a partial mixed tank to up the octane rating a couple notches. Has anyone on the forum ever been stopped or questioned about having racing fuel in the tank? I know that agricultural fuels use a purple dye that CHP can see coming out the exhaust and if you get busted running agricultural fuel on a public highway (Ag fuel is VERY inexpensive....no taxes on it) it's like a $1,000 fine.
Oh you can smell it, and it smells good. The last car I had ran strictly C16 and when I sold it I had 3 5 gal pails left over. I was burning it in my Honda mower to get rid of it(yes the performance was increased) and I loved the smell of C16 in the morning!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
So....what are you running in the 900??? What's the pump gas octane rating in Michigan? I think back east they have 93...whereas our great Cali-gas is 91.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 PM
KPG
So....what are you running in the 900??? What's the pump gas octane rating in Michigan? I think back east they have 93...whereas our great Cali-gas is 91.
Chuck, MI is a sad place to be at the moment but it is very friendly to modded cars. No inspections and Sunoco 94 on every street corner. Within a 5 mile radius of my house I have about 4 Sunoco stations, 2 that have GT 104 pumps, 2 with GT100 pumps and a Cam100 pump. As for my car, it is a solid 800 on pump gas, which I feel is more impressive than ANY race gas number it will ever achieve... It was tuned with MS109 which is a misnomer, it is actually 105 octane R+M/2

Last edited by KPG; 05-30-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:01 PM
nicholass will become famous soon enoughnicholass will become famous soon enough
yeah in michigan we mostly have 93 octane for premium but some places like speedway have 92 octane & a couple even have 94 but 94 is like $0.60 a gallon more then 87.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 PM
nicholass will become famous soon enoughnicholass will become famous soon enough
KPG, where are you in michigan? i would kill to see that GT900, do you ever go down to woodward on the weekends?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Kevin: 800 is more than impressive.....have you ever run up against anything you couldn't put in your rear view mirror?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:25 PM
KPG
Kevin: 800 is more than impressive.....have you ever run up against anything you couldn't put in your rear view mirror?
Chuck my man, I havent even driven the car! It is is AZ and 99% complete at the moment. This project began in Dec 06 and was never completed by another tuner, EVOMS came to the rescue recently and finished it up in about 16 days if I recall. I will be down in AZ towards the end of next week to drive it and have Todd tweak its street manners to my liking as well as finish up some final dyno work. It should be back in MI very soon. As for rear view mirrors, I learned a long time ago that there is always someone faster and most likely he just pulled up to the traffic light next to you....

Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 PM
KPG
Originally Posted by nicholass
KPG, where are you in michigan? i would kill to see that GT900, do you ever go down to woodward on the weekends?
I live in Novi. Good luck picking my car out of a crowd, Artic Silver and bone stock exterior. I head to Woodward once a year for the cruise ,but that is about it. It has gotten so crowded down ther I typically just do Thur or Fri night. The weekend is gridlock....

Old 05-30-2009, 09:38 PM
wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !wross996TT Is a GOD !
so back to the smell....I was filling up with VP100 and I went in to pay and I got to chatting with the owner. He says the bikers come in and fill up with VP100/105 just so they can follow each other and smell the fumes...LOL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Racing Fuels, stated not legal for street use?