996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help Plz. CEL: Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:42 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kwei
Thank you for all the tips and suggestions JP, I will run the test and see what I find this afternoon.

Justin
Pleas Justin keep us inform ....Welcome!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jpflip
First question: Yes it is a possibility but it also can be (worst) the variocam plus actuator part#996 105 051 73 ($822.75) need to remove the engine for replacement ;-(

Second question : Yes but Durametric will only test the injector function.

I never used any fuel ad-on, and have to admit a bit afraid....
J.P.
Ok ran the diagnostics, all tests came out with the results as described by JP, so I guess I would say it passed.

Another piece of information to provide at this point. The car was put through extensive preventative maintenance shortly before purchase. I was told by the seller that it was strictly preventative, as he was getting the car ready for big power using k24/18gs. One possibilty my guys suggested it might be is a bad rebuild. They suggest the cam chain (I hope I have that right) could be off by 1 tooth, and that slight change is what they are leaning towards.

I do realize that all signs are pointing to that being the case thus far, but I want to exhaust all other possibilities before I have to start incurring expenses for this.

Anyone have a similar experience or further suggestions? I hope its not the problem as suggested above JP, is there a test that can be done before getting all the way in there and buying new parts to verify that possible cause?

Again, Thanks!

Justin

Old 06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Justin. Let me understand. All the test are good but you are wondering why you still have the fault P1349? I got my doubt about the tooth off.... Do you loose power at high revolutions or in high demands (when the variocam plus should be operating)?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
kwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud ofkwei has much to be proud of
Justin. Let me understand. All the test are good but you are wondering why you still have the fault P1349? I got my doubt about the tooth off.... Do you loose power at high revolutions or in high demands (when the variocam plus should be operating)?
The tests come out good, meaning when activating each test using the Durametric tool the engine will start to rumble, shake the car a bit, as you previously described.

I have not done extensive high rpm driving with the car but from what I can tell there is no issue with the way the engine "feels" to me at all. If there were no fault codes, I would have zero indication or complaints about the way the car is performing. Again, 95% of my driving I keep the rpm range between 2000-4000, but in the occasional 10-15 second intervals when I open it up, everything feels fine.

Can you please give me a little more info on why you doubt the possibility of it being a tooth off? I will relay the information to my guy and make sure he is aware of all the additional suggestions being made here.

Justin

Old 06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
I have no experience with misaligning by one tooth the cam chain on a Porsche but I do with a big V8 and the engine was rumbling and lacking acceleration completely....But it was a V8... I got no other suggestion if the ecu is controlling the solenoid and you got the engine rumbling with Durametric...The only other thing I can see is bad feedback to the ECU but again I am too far away do do anymore evaluation of this problem. I am sorry but I will let you know if anything comes to my mind... Justin, please keep us inform of your findings..J.P.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
If you are considering an "octane booster," there is only one thing I would consider. And you do not get it at an auto parts store. TOLUENE. It is used in the paint business...BUT is a 100% hydrocarbon with an octane rating of 114. F1 cars of the 80's...the turbo'd ones, ran on 86% toluene....

Old 06-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I have no experience with misaligning by one tooth the cam chain on a Porsche but I do with a big V8 and the engine was rumbling and lacking acceleration completely....But it was a V8... I got no other suggestion if the ecu is controlling the solenoid and you got the engine rumbling with Durametric...The only other thing I can see is bad feedback to the ECU but again I am too far away do do anymore evaluation of this problem. I am sorry but I will let you know if anything comes to my mind... Justin, please keep us inform of your findings..J.P.
Got ya, no worries JP, you've been a big help already, it is greatly appreciated!

Bad feedback to the ECU, thats the first I've heard of this possibility, the car does have an aftermarket (EPL) tune on it. I'll check and see if there is a way we can factor that possibilty out as well. Again, thanks very much, I'll follow up when I have more info.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by $manager
If you are considering an "octane booster," there is only one thing I would consider. And you do not get it at an auto parts store. TOLUENE. It is used in the paint business...BUT is a 100% hydrocarbon with an octane rating of 114. F1 cars of the 80's...the turbo'd ones, ran on 86% toluene....
I was doing a quick search last night for different options on the booser, this came up then too, I thought it sounded hookey though, paint thinner in my gas tank huh...who'd a thunk it!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Hey Justin, you get your CEL figured out? Just curious. Setting here bored on a Saturday night... Yep, married with children...

Old 06-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Hey Chad,

Thanks for checking in. Still working on it. Couple new codes as well over the last few days. Looks like the new ones at least might be related to the MAF.

P1371 Porsche fault code 637 - Valve lift control checksum error

P1360 Porsche fault code 628 - Valve lift control cylinder 6

as well as two others that are for cylinders 4 and 5. All 4 happen at once after driving the car down the block the other day. Anyways, I havent dropped the car off with my guys yet, but they have put their thinking caps on and are working on getting to the bottom of it. Hopefully we find the answer and resolve the cause of the codes soon. I'll keep you guys updated when I know more: )

Justin

Old 06-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Another update. It looks like the next step that I need to take to resolve these codes is replace my MAF. From research I've done so far on this, it seems to be a DIY project as only 1 replacement part and 1 special tool are required for the job. I am seeing that this is what I need to get to replace the old MAF: Part number: 996 606 125 01. I have read that this is a new style MAF that is more resistant to dirt particles than the old ones which might require a DME update. I dont currently know if i have the old one or not. If that is the case I am thinking I'll have to let my shop take care of it for me.

Can anyone chime in and verify some or all of the following: That I have the correct part number for the new MAF. Location of the MAF on our cars as I have not actually found a DIY with pictures or a description of where it is in the engine bay yet. Finally the necessity of updating the DME after replacing the old MAF.

Thanks a lot guys!

Justin

Old 06-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Well its not the MAF: (

Car still running well though. Hoping to get it in the shop next week and have them do some troubleshooting.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:10 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
When were plugs done last? Any way to test the O2 sensors?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Good question. I am still in contact with the seller as this was a known issue at time of sale. He tells me the 60k mile maintenance and more was done just prior to time of purchase. I'm meeting up with him tonight actually, I'll double check with him and see what he says about that. CEL's are annoying, but the car is running "normal" otherwise. I've put almost 1300 miles on it in just under a month!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
GTdriver is on a distinguished road
simmilar problem

Hi at first!

I see your coments and I think it will be the best place to solve dupts and know nice people.

my name is christian and i am form spain.

now i`m driving a 996 GT3 and a GT2.

my GT2 unit has the P1349 says the durametric.

I feel that the car does not have the power since it has the mistake.

the software is programmed for 1.4 bar but it does not run over 0.9 bar and sometimes he get 1.2bar.

any idea what it could be?

thank you very much

best regards from spain

christian

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help Plz. CEL: Low Oil Pressure