996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

997 GT2 Air Box

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:30 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
You do a lot better at Thunderhill than I do....I see your approach now that you've explained it better. Since you're running K16's, you can't do the wastegates. If you're looking for weight reduction, from a weight saving perspective, the airbox won't do much of anything for you except look nice and give you a bit more sound feedback. Not knocking the product, just following your logic trail.

Maybe we'll meet up at T-hill someday.

Hopefully we will meet at T-hill some time. Have you signed up for any up comming track days ?

Well, I was hoping the intake would give me 20hp/tq or so.

I really don't want to cut any of the stock pieces up to make it work though. Even though I have been modding, i still have been trying to keep a stock look/keep all stock parts. Hence I'm a bit iffy. If i go that route I would have to buy another rear plastic thing that I have to cut up.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Enrique: Who told you you could expect 20 hp out of a CF airbox? You shoulnd't see ANY HP increase with the engine and mods you have on that car. Under 700 HP it gets all the air it needs with the stock airbox. If you do some searches here and on Rennlist, this issue has been discussed before...and I have yet to see a dyno sheet that showed an advantage over the stock airbox when running bolt-ons at your HP level. Some guys who track have actually gone back to the stock airbox after buying the aftermarket ones.

This isn't going to set well with the folks who sell them, but this forum is about telling it like it is (or at least how YOU "think it is") with the glamour and glitz removed. You should spend your money on something that has a proven track record....literally. You wont' knock off any time at T-hill with an airbox...suspension would be a better focus.

I haven't signed up for any recent runs at T-hill. The economy has trimmed my wings a bit...but I will fly again.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:46 AM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Enrique: Who told you you could expect 20 hp out of a CF airbox? You shoulnd't see ANY HP increase with the engine and mods you have on that car. Under 700 HP it gets all the air it needs with the stock airbox. If you do some searches here and on Rennlist, this issue has been discussed before...and I have yet to see a dyno sheet that showed an advantage over the stock airbox when running bolt-ons at your HP level. Some guys who track have actually gone back to the stock airbox after buying the aftermarket ones.

This isn't going to set well with the folks who sell them, but this forum is about telling it like it is (or at least how YOU "think it is") with the glamour and glitz removed. You should spend your money on something that has a proven track record....literally. You wont' knock off any time at T-hill with an airbox...suspension would be a better focus.

I haven't signed up for any recent runs at T-hill. The economy has trimmed my wings a bit...but I will fly again.

Thanks Chuck for your honest opinion. I had a Air Box before, and I didn't like it to much. I though this dual snorkle thing would be diffrent, but I guess not. I guess I'll go back to more weight reduction mods, since those are always good We should meet up sometime, I'm located in Davis, about 20-30 mins away from you.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:00 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
Can it be used on a 996 Turbo ? What modifications would have to be done in order to make it work ? Has anyone done this mod ?

TIA

Enrique
Won't work because the 996tt connects to on turbo duct vs the two either side on the 997tt platform. Also at T-hill any intake you're thinking of doing you're going to need to make sure it's completely secure in terms of funneling cool air vs hot air. The temps are so high out there.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
The Dual Flow has been proven to add power, add tq, improve throttle response, and improve cooler airflow.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Chuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond reputeChuck Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Dan...where's the beef? I dont' want to get into point/counterpoint...but this airbox thing has been beat to death. The majority of the pro side are using butt dynos for performance "verification". The only true advantage for bigger air boxes I've seen is the guys running the bigger HP engines that need to breathe better with larger turbos, intakes, intercoolers, throttle bodies, exhaust systems etc. For the majority of us who run in the 500-600 range, this is a bit of overkill. Your boxes are very nicely laid out...they're artwork and pleasing to the eye, and most likely well made...but they do little for cutting time off a 1/4 mile run, or subtracting weight. That's all I intend to say because I don't feel that I should be trading pros and cons with a sponsor who depends upon sales. I wish you all the best in your marketing efforts. They're very complimentary to the looks of the engine compartment, and quite a few folks have bought them...leave it at that.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Wendy's or is that Arby's.