996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porting and Polishing Stock 996 Turbo Headers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 03:14 PM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Porting and Polishing Stock 996 Turbo Headers

Well I cannot justify the cost of new SS sports headers so I would like to port and polish my stock headers. I have a couple of questions. I did a search but did not come up aith much.

1) I have a compressor and a die Grinder, what is the best bit to use?
2) Where is a good place to get replacement Gaskets (2 of each of them) ?
3) Anyone done this themselves, any tips?
4) Anyone done a DIY on it?
5) Where does one get Ceramic coating in north east Florida?
6) Is it worth it?

Thanks

SWR

Last edited by ShokWaveRider; 07-20-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...eader-mod.html

I think the pics are not working though

A good carbide bit works great. I prefer electric die-grinders otherwise your compressor will be going non-stop. Any discount dealer will have the gaskets for a good price (Suncoast, etc). Well worth it IMO.

You can pick up a set of headers for cheap on Ebay so you have no down time.

Last edited by dgreen78; 07-20-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
Jet-Hot is who I used to get the headers coated. Make sure to specify that they DO NOT do the inside of the headers. I bought new gaskets but they were not needed. The new ones cost about $120 and are metal.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Former Vendor
Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !Betim@BBIAutosport Is a GOD !
Last time I bought the gasket from head to headers they were only about $10's a piece from Porsche.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 AM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Didn't do the 996 yet, but I've done 2 sets for my stang at one some time.

+1 on the Carbide Bit, I got a real good one from my buddy who owns a machine shop so I don't know what brand. Electric grinder is a must, dremel works. The most important TIP: Put a strong fan to blow sideways when you're grinding stuff. Otherwise you'll be picking out sharpenel out of your forearms. Safety glasses are a must.

Welder is nice, since in some spots, for max flow you have to add material on the outside to take it off on the inside. (could not apply to 996tt I dunno)

Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 AM
ShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to allShokWaveRider is a name known to all
Has anyone simply sent them to an outfit and had them ported polished and coated?

Or is this a true DIY?

Thanks for all the tips.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:59 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I can't imagine all the effort put forth in this endeavor, can possibly result in any seat of the pants inprovement...I'm not saying it isn't a worthwhile mod, because better flow is...well, better flow, but I would only do it if I was REALLY bored...It can be a dirty, nasty job and unless you are shooting for 750rwhp and can't afford aftermarket headers, not worth it to me...

Old 07-21-2009, 06:50 AM
colorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond reputecolorinc has a reputation beyond repute
someone has not had there coffee yet...

Originally Posted by ttboost
I can't imagine all the effort put forth in this endeavor, can possibly result in any seat of the pants inprovement...I'm not saying it isn't a worthwhile mod, because better flow is...well, better flow, but I would only do it if I was REALLY bored...It can be a dirty, nasty job and unless you are shooting for 750rwhp and can't afford aftermarket headers, not worth it to me...

Old 07-21-2009, 07:02 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by colorinc
someone has not had there coffee yet...
just an opinion...

Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 AM
WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !WOODTSTER Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
I agree,

several early gen high hp cars (cars running mid to high 130 traps) were
on stock headers with no porting/polishing.

But if you enjoy that sort of thing...

Old 07-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by WOODTSTER
I agree,

several early gen high hp cars (cars running mid to high 130 traps) were
on stock headers with no porting/polishing.

But if you enjoy that sort of thing...

That's all I was trying to say (Tim)...

Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
i have a set of headers i can sell you if you want to do it on a spare set to get no downtime. I have also done mine, i can make it for you if you want.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by pumalex
i have a set of headers i can sell you if you want to do it on a spare set to get no downtime. I have also done mine, i can make it for you if you want.
I am sure I may as well buy some after market ones if I am going to buy a spare set of OEM headers. If you add up the cost of doing the job plus the spare set, I am sure it will come pretty close. Depends on what you are asking I suppose.

I was wondering if there was a place to sent my original headers to to get completely done and what the cost would be.

SWR