996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help/Suggestions: Wheel Cracked

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
Help/Suggestions: Wheel Cracked

I have a 2003 TT Lapis Blue with almost 30,000 miles and OEM wheels and tires (Bridgestone Potenza S-02A). The front tires have lots of tread and the rears have to be replaced soon.

This morning while washing the car, I saw this (see attached photos). No idea how this happened, I did take a long road trip recently. I guess I drove over a curb, but I can't remember hearing anything. I can't imagine this just occurs from normal highway driving.

The other wheels are in typical 30,000 shape with small nicks and scratches, but nothing like the front right wheel.

Appreciate your thoughts and suggestions:

should I
1) fix the wheel? is it safe to drive as is?
2) replace OEM wheel and order two new rear tires from Damon at Tirerack?
3) take the plunge, get all new wheels (better price/quality/look?) with a reasonable budget

Looking for the right long term fix. Thanks again.

--BM

Attached Images    
Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
1, Wheel is scrap. It is NOT SAFE to drive. (I suspect there are shops that might fix it- ie strip, rework, weld, re-true, re-fnish- but not for me, They claim when the damage is contained on the barrel it can be repaired.)

2. Unless you are buying wheels at the same level of QUALITY as factory (ie $3500 up for wheels alone) then just replace the rear.

It is astonishing that you didn't feel this. It had to be a very significant impact- a big pothole, large chuck of debris....

GL

A

Old 08-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Colt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really niceColt45ccg is just really nice
That wheel cannot be repaired safely- you need to purchase a new wheel. With that much impact force, I'd also recommend replacing the tire- I'm sure the shoulder took significant damage at that location.

Keep a better eye out for curbs and potholes in the future!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:34 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
I may be interested in your other front wheel if it in good shape and has no rash... PM me if you want with specifics and price if you decide to sell it...

Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
+1 for Ard. These are cast wheels. They cannot be safely welded and refitted.

Also amazing you didn't feel that impact. Did you by chance have your car parked by a valet during the trip?

The least expensive solution is to replace the rear wheel and both rear tires. There should be lots of used OEM wheels on the market if you want to save a little money compared to a new one.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:35 PM
flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !flash68 Is a GOD !
Wow I just put a huge chunk in my HRE last night and it isn't nearly as bad or large as yours, but there is no way you would not have felt me hitting the median/blvd! Sure you haven't been driving blacked out or in your sleep recently?

I would dump em and get a new/used set of aftermarket wheels. Some good deals in the parts for sale section here.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:23 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
The wheel is fine...Throw some glass over it and make it a coffee table. But I wouldn't drive on it lol

Old 08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
ScottKelly for President 2012!

Mike

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
The wheel is fine...Throw some glass over it and make it a coffee table. But I wouldn't drive on it lol

Old 08-08-2009, 04:31 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Wait a minute...how is that holding air???

Old 08-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Option number 2 - replace OEM wheel and order two new rear tires from Damon at Tirerack, you might be able to find a nice used OEM wheel on ebay or the for sale section to save a little more.

Or option number 3 if you want to give the car a new look and don't mine spending a little more.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Blue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the roughBlue Monster is a jewel in the rough
Thank you all for your thoughts.....
The wheel with the crack is the front right wheel.

I was focusing on if I hit a curb, but after Ard's comments, I began thinking about, "did I hit any big potholes recently?", then I went, oh sh*t, yes, I did.

I hit a huge new pothole dead on at a healthy speed. I didn't see it because the car in front of me was blocking the view and swerved to miss it only at the last second. I remember thinking, oh boy, probably lost a tire, but the car has been driving totally fine since. The right front tire is in great shape and is holding air fine. I hate to replace it given it has so little wear.

I think I am going to look here and on ebay for a used OEM wheel front wheel (are left and right interchangeable?) and order the new tires from tirerack and have it all done together. If anyone is a seller of a used OEM front, pls PM me.

Thanks again.

--BM

Old 08-08-2009, 07:11 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by raineycd
I may be interested in your other front wheel if it in good shape and has no rash... PM me if you want with specifics and price if you decide to sell it...
Chad, that's funny. The OP needs advice and you step up to plate. I would think a sucessful entrepreneur and porschephile like you would just buy a nice set of wheels. But no, Chad sees a deal on an OEM wheel and doesn't want to let it get away..

Old 08-08-2009, 08:35 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dtmarsh
Chad, that's funny. The OP needs advice and you step up to plate. I would think a sucessful entrepreneur and porschephile like you would just buy a nice set of wheels. But no, Chad sees a deal on an OEM wheel and doesn't want to let it get away..
Actually, I understand that it may be hard to get rid of a single front rim and I was offering a way to do that if he wanted to. Leave it to you to make something bad out of it.

Not many people want to separate a set or pair of rims out... That is all I was saying.

And quit stalking me. You only seem to post after I do here and on RL. I am married - YOU CAN'T HAVE ME!

Old 08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Liquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really niceLiquidcooled is just really nice
Blue Monster the fronts are interchangeable GL.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:45 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mikelly
ScottKelly for President 2012!

Mike
Awesome, got my first nomination. YES, thanks Mike!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help/Suggestions: Wheel Cracked