996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Compression/leakdown tests recommended on low mileage p-cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:00 AM
NW Dave is infamous around these parts
Compression/leakdown tests recommended on low mileage p-cars?

Just curious what the prevailing wisdom here is on this topic. I was told by a local shop that conducts PPIs that an 03 with 22k miles I was looking at didnt' require these tests since it had such low miles. I have seen recommendations however here and on other boards that suggested getting these tests done regardless.

Any truth to the shop's advice? Thanks

Old 08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NW Dave
Just curious what the prevailing wisdom here is on this topic. I was told by a local shop that conducts PPIs that an 03 with 22k miles I was looking at didnt' require these tests since it had such low miles. I have seen recommendations however here and on other boards that suggested getting these tests done regardless.

Any truth to the shop's advice? Thanks

Those 22k miles could be the hardest miles ever put on a motor vehicle. Now the GT1 engine is otherworldly reliable, but, if the oil hasn't been changed in 22k miles, etc...all bets are off...A couple 3 hundred dollars on a $40k-$50k purchase is pretty good piece of mind. Make sure to tell them what YOU want checked...leakdown, ECU dump, etc...do a search here on PPI...

Old 08-24-2009, 02:26 PM
NW Dave is infamous around these parts
Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking but great to hear specific confirmation. Much appreciated TT!

Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
I would do the PPI in stanges- initially do part 1- if acceptable, and you are inclined to go forward, complete part 2 with the compression/leakdown- and replace the plugs at that time. The added cost is low given what will be exposed. For obvious reasons the deal terms must be concrete so you can minimize the chances of the seller backing out and leaving you holding the bag, or bill, so to speak.