996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Wheel spacer question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Wheel spacer question

I'm running MPS2's at 235/30/18 and 315/40/18 on my 996TT. My wheels are OEM 2005 GT2 wheels and I'm told the offset is 45, the same as the stock turbo twists. currently using 7mm H&R spacers on the rear and am still getting some rubbing on the INSIDE driver side wheel liner. My fenders are NOT rolled.

My question is, can I use 15mm spacers on the rear and not have fender rubbing on the rear. And if so, can I put my 7mm spacers on the front w/o any problems?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM
ABCar is on a distinguished road
If it is only rubbing on one side make sure that the wheel liner is fully intact and pushed in properly to the centerline of the vehicle. I think you can have these spacers without rolling according to what other members have done. What is your suspension?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM
dtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud ofdtmarsh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ABCar
If it is only rubbing on one side make sure that the wheel liner is fully intact and pushed in properly to the centerline of the vehicle. I think you can have these spacers without rolling according to what other members have done. What is your suspension?
PSS9's at about GT2 height.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:54 PM
ABCar is on a distinguished road
Hmm, not sure. I just ordered the same spacers with stock suspension. I would be interested to know as well. Here is a large thread that may answer your Q's...

anyone else have an answer?
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...de-simple.html

Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I thought I read somewher that the oem gt2 fenders are rolled?
so you having spacers, definitely need a fender roll.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by alex911s
I thought I read somewher that the oem gt2 fenders are rolled?
so you having spacers, definitely need a fender roll.
No, I already HAVE spacers and do NOT need to roll fenders.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I had GT2 wheels and tires and ran 7mm in the rear. The rear fenders need to be rolled on the TT (they come factory rolled on the GT2).

The fronts were very close to rubbing the fender liner when turning. Adding a spacer would make contact, frictional heat and could cause a fire.

Remember that the GT2 wheels are 12" in rear. Already 1" wider than stock wheels.

Try test fitting the 15mm spacers. Then drive one front tire up a curb so that the car is sitting with one wheel only on the curb. This will compress the suspension and you can see very closely how the fitment works.

Post the results! I never got around to trying all the different spacer configs and have since sold the wheels and tires.

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 08-31-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:26 AM
996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of996Choy has much to be proud of
jackthread: i'm running stock sized wheels and tires with 15mm space front and rear, and I'm intending to go 245/40 F 315/30 R - is that going to rub? am I crazy?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:43 AM
Ray C. will become famous soon enough
I have H&R 15mm in the rears and 7mm in the fronts with a stock 996TT setup. No issues at all; love the setup.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM
skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !skandalis447 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 996Choy
jackthread: i'm running stock sized wheels and tires with 15mm space front and rear, and I'm intending to go 245/40 F 315/30 R - is that going to rub? am I crazy?
If your car is still 4wd,you can not run 245/40 F with 315/30R...you will change the rate F to R and burn your 4wd system...The matches you can run are 225/40 with 295/30 and 235/40 with 315/30

Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by ari
I had GT2 wheels and tires and ran 7mm in the rear. The rear fenders need to be rolled on the TT (they come factory rolled on the GT2).

The fronts were very close to rubbing the fender liner when turning. Adding a spacer would make contact, frictional heat and could cause a fire.

Remember that the GT2 wheels are 12" in rear. Already 1" wider than stock wheels.

Try test fitting the 15mm spacers. Then drive one front tore up a curb so that the car is sitting with one wheel only on the curb. This will compress the suspension and you can see very closely how the fitment works.

Post the results! I never got around to trying all the different spacer configs and have since sold the wheels and tires.
Okay guys, these pics are of my rear 315/40/18's on 12" GT2 wheels w/ 7mm spacers. You can't see it, but I backed the car up on the curb on both sides (except for the first 2 pics) to get as much compression as the car would allow.

Attached Images      
Old 08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
And a couple more

Attached Images    
Old 08-31-2009, 05:07 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Your fenders aren't rolled right?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by ari
Your fenders aren't rolled right?
That's correct. Since I'm running 7mm spacers now and have just minimal rubbing on the wheel-liner on the driver side, maybe 10mm spacers are the answer.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:58 PM
Rolling the fenders will open up another 10-15mm beyond what yo have. i bet 15mm spacers will fit with no issues.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel spacer question