996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

dry sump oil lubrication system...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 09:18 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Question dry sump oil lubrication system...

The GT3 has this...Is this the reason the manual says the motor must be running in order to read the oil level with the dipstick??
It is strange and frightening that when the motor is off, the oil does not register on the stick at all. I will check it when it's running tomorrow, but if anyone knows or can confirm that this is normal, I will sleep easier tonight...Thanks

Pics of my new GT3 posted on the GT3 forum, fyi

Old 09-22-2003, 09:50 PM
PorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond reputePorschePhd has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, this is very normal. We don't have an oil pan if you will and the oil is continually pumped through the system. The tank will pass oil through it and the dip stick will catch the stream and show the level. It has been this way since 1965. The oil will flow through the coolers once the car has come up to operating temp and will allow all the thermostat to open thus creating maximum flow through the system. this is when you check your levels. What makes me jiggy is I have owned 30 Porsche. All of which have had a dip stick. The 996TT is without one and I have to rely on the computer. Just not use to that. This is the only way to check the oil in a dry sump system.

This is basically what the inside of your case looks like. The oil pump is in the bottom with the screen on it driven by the int. shaft.

Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2003, 09:53 PM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you Doctor!!! I will rest easier now....