996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Paint issue with my newly purchased 996tt....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:46 PM
leftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond reputeleftlane has a reputation beyond repute
Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I hold my arm like this."
Doctor: "Don't hold your arm like that."

In other words, stop looking at your car from the one angle that looks off, or else you'll drive yourself crazy. If the paint meter shows no paintwork, then stop sweating it. If your dealer lied, then call him on it and see where it goes. Otherwise, enjoy your car and your holidays!

Old 12-25-2009, 03:49 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 335_II
If you didnt have anything in writing stating there was no paintwork it will be tough to return the car.
Yep, I work in the business so I hear that too often.

Originally Posted by leftlane

In other words, stop looking at your car from the one angle that looks off, or else you'll drive yourself crazy. If the paint meter shows no paintwork, then stop sweating it. If your dealer lied, then call him on it and see where it goes. Otherwise, enjoy your car and your holidays!
HAHAHA....

Thanks and enjoy your guys' holiday as well.

I'll bring this up to the selling dealer after I get a chance to put a paint meter on the car myself. Cause from some of the replies, this maybe normal.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:50 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
I have yet to see a paint job from a factory that is free of flaws whether it is a $200,000 ferrari or a $300,000Bentley.Some have less noticable ones than others with the automated paint jobs being the best.BMW's are pretty good and so is Mercedes.

Old 12-25-2009, 03:51 PM
MrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond reputeMrWhite has a reputation beyond repute
Wavyness isn't too uncommon, especially with a little age on the car.

Old 12-25-2009, 04:51 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Can you post pictures of the said waviness?

If there was bodywork involved there is a possibility of a dieback. Basically what happens, if the car was repainted and body filler was used, it takes a while before all the solvents evaporate from the materials used.(so a paintjob that looks perfect straight out of the spray booth will not look perfect in say 6 months) There is really no way around that unless you take a month to repair the panel and allow for each stage to get baked in the sun. So the more material was used, the longer it takes for the solvents to evaporate and the more visible/ noticable it will become with time when the paint settles. In most cases if it's just a little wave or orange peel, the inperfections can be wetsanded in say 6 months to look the way it did right when it was finished straight out of the paint booth.

If it's really deep waviness than whoever was sanding the filler and wetsanding the filler primer cut some corners. The paintjob looks only as good as the prepwork that was done.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:26 PM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
I agree with most of the statements relating to repainting.. Some people replace bumpers and spoilers which obviously need to be painted. However, it sounds like what you are seeing involved some sort of accident (tough to say without seeing it). I would suspect that Porsche N.A. would take care of you if the dealership did not. Customer service is everything at Porsche and it sounds like the dealership dropped the ball to me.

Just my .02..

Old 12-25-2009, 09:13 PM
houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !houstonT Is a GOD !
I also agree with most statements made on this thread, but to be honest, I would be pissed if there was orange peel and dust particals in my paint. Like you, I would obsess about it too. If this is something that is going to bug you every day, take the car back, get your money back and call it a day. If it's something you can live with, then enjoy the car.
Peter

Old 12-25-2009, 09:19 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by adam699

If there was bodywork involved there is a possibility of a dieback. Basically what happens, if the car was repainted and body filler was used, it takes a while before all the solvents evaporate from the materials used.(so a paintjob that looks perfect straight out of the spray booth will not look perfect in say 6 months) There is really no way around that unless you take a month to repair the panel and allow for each stage to get baked in the sun. So the more material was used, the longer it takes for the solvents to evaporate and the more visible/ noticable it will become with time when the paint settles. In most cases if it's just a little wave or orange peel, the inperfections can be wetsanded in say 6 months to look the way it did right when it was finished straight out of the paint booth.

If it's really deep waviness than whoever was sanding the filler and wetsanding the filler primer cut some corners. The paintjob looks only as good as the prepwork that was done.
Here's a picture from an angle that shows no waviness in the paint and all looks well:

And from looking from the rear to the front, you can see the waviness in the paint:

Originally Posted by btapp
I agree with most of the statements relating to repainting.. Some people replace bumpers and spoilers which obviously need to be painted. However, it sounds like what you are seeing involved some sort of accident (tough to say without seeing it). I would suspect that Porsche N.A. would take care of you if the dealership did not. Customer service is everything at Porsche and it sounds like the dealership dropped the ball to me.

Just my .02..
I'd hope so.

Originally Posted by houstonT
I also agree with most statements made on this thread, but to be honest, I would be pissed if there was orange peel and dust particals in my paint. Like you, I would obsess about it too. If this is something that is going to bug you every day, take the car back, get your money back and call it a day. If it's something you can live with, then enjoy the car.
Peter
The paint quality was high on my list. So it is bugging me a little.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:04 PM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adam699
Just had to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keI59KRVco8

Old 12-25-2009, 10:07 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Leftlane,
I like it.
Originally Posted by leftlane

Old 12-25-2009, 11:06 PM
adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !adam699 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

ROFL.....nice

Old 12-25-2009, 11:40 PM
XX911XX is infamous around these parts
I found this to be one of my best investments when shopping for cars (new or used). Saved my butt many times.

http://www.paintmeter.com/eng/index_cbm.php?l=&sid=0

Old 12-26-2009, 03:47 AM
legendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud oflegendr34 has much to be proud of
it appears normal, mine has that waviness also, on both doors

Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by legendr34
it appears normal, mine has that waviness also, on both doors

Mine has it on the passanger door because I repainted it... it makes it more faster....

On the drivers door,,,there is no waveiness,but by looking at it I know it was repainted....so I know for sure It's twice as fast...

Old 12-26-2009, 07:09 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
You trusted the dealer to do your inspections for you?!? That is the more troubling issue...

I will add to the chorus- there are considerable waves in the factory paint. Funny ripples around the door handle where they press/punch the handle opening. Kind of stuff you will not see until your are doing a detail/paint correction and staring at clearcoat surface reflections for 8 hours

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paint issue with my newly purchased 996tt....