996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Paint issue with my newly purchased 996tt....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 07:27 PM
earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !earl3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
I will add to the chorus- there are considerable waves in the factory paint. Funny ripples around the door handle where they press/punch the handle opening. Kind of stuff you will not see until your are doing a detail/paint correction and staring at clearcoat surface reflections for 8 hours
yep, same here and she passed the paint meter & PPI with flying colors

Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 PM
joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !joetwint Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TekNiC3
Here's a picture from an angle that shows no waviness in the paint and all looks well:

And from looking from the rear to the front, you can see the waviness in the paint:

I'd hope so.

The paint quality was high on my list. So it is bugging me a little.
looks like my car and every other 996 when exposed to that angle and light reflection.it also has alot to do with the way the door is contoured......if you look closely the door flares out at the bottom to meet the rocker and out at the edge to meet the rear quarters.What would bother me more is the all the polish in the cracks and crevices.....time to start removing that stuff.Ithink you are ok on the paint work and the car was not painted.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 AM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by joetwint
looks like my car and every other 996 when exposed to that angle and light reflection.it also has alot to do with the way the door is contoured......if you look closely the door flares out at the bottom to meet the rocker and out at the edge to meet the rear quarters.What would bother me more is the all the polish in the cracks and crevices.....time to start removing that stuff.Ithink you are ok on the paint work and the car was not painted.
Yeah, I understand the curves and such. What I am referring to is the middle and top part of the door. You notices the lines that show in the reflection are not really straight or smooth.

I know the bottom has a curve to it so I was not reference that point.

The first pictures makes it look like there is a lot of polish build up, but I can assure you there is nothing.

I took that picture with a high ISO and longer exposure to get the reflection to really show up. Guess that made the rubber trim appear lighter than they really are in person.

And to tell you guys the truth, the 2nd picture does not really capture the waviness as much as seeing it in person.

----

I emailed the GM of the dealership, as he was who I directly dealt with when I purchased the car. He said he'll take a look at the paint.

I'll keep you guys posted.