996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Manheim Auction cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 08:48 AM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
Manheim Auction cars?

How comfortable would you guys be getting a car out of auction? We can inspect it first and have a PPI done before having to lay down any real cash, and Manheim will take back the car if it isn't as represented.

Only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the probable lack of service records and the inability to really test drive it before it arrives.

A local (large) auto broker would be the organization going to Manheim for me...

I'd rather go with a private party to buy, but I need to be able to trade my car in, which locks me into a dealer/broker situation...

Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
I say do want you feel is best for you..... if you feel in your gut that is the best move, then do it....

Old 01-01-2010, 09:47 AM
docwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to alldocwyte is a name known to all
As long as I can get a PPI and inspect the car I'm ok with it. Hopefully someone will buy my M3 then I can go through a private party sale if I want...

Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docwyte
How comfortable would you guys be getting a car out of auction? We can inspect it first and have a PPI done before having to lay down any real cash, and Manheim will take back the car if it isn't as represented.

Only thing I'm a bit concerned about is the probable lack of service records and the inability to really test drive it before it arrives.

A local (large) auto broker would be the organization going to Manheim for me...

I'd rather go with a private party to buy, but I need to be able to trade my car in, which locks me into a dealer/broker situation...
No how, no way.

At the end of the day, you could wind up with a dog and have ZERO recourse. No matter what everyone one of the 'actors' say (ie auction house, broker, inspector, buyer) the documents will all say "as is" and "not responsible for errors and omissions".

But that's just me....

GL

A

Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Michael-Dallas is infamous around these parts
I would have no problem. Just do your due diligence (inspection, PPI, etc).

If I'm not mistaken, 2 of local Porsche dealers here use Mannheim as one source of locating cars for clients.

///Michael

Old 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I 100% agree with Ard. If you must trade your car in, go to a reputable dealer and pay the extra $$ for either a CPO'd car or one with a clean, and verifiable history.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Finalspeed is infamous around these parts
When I was car shopping I looked at quite a few maheim cars and for the most part they were not very clean. One of them had the entire rear end replaced. I wouldnt suggest buying a porsche through them unless you really get a good chance to go through it. I spent the extra money a bought a certified car. Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I plan to proceed with extreme caution with any auction car. What I found interesting is that Manheim has an "eBay" like auction part as well, where the used car dealers can list their cars with Manheim, but the sale isn't part of the auction, it's more of a direct buy through the dealer that has the car...

Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
heeltoe914 has a spectacular aura aboutheeltoe914 has a spectacular aura aboutheeltoe914 has a spectacular aura about
I have gotten cars from thsi place and its OK if you yourself knows cars?

Do you know what to check?
What a 996TT motor should sound like ?
Are you willing to get on your back and look under the car at the acution?

I was aware and have gotten a few cars that the owners have had no real problems with. But understnd in todays market I think cars are autioning off at about what the private party price is??? Do your homework.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Really? The auction price is what private parties are selling for?

Old 01-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
I've attended some auto auctions -- none at any Mannhiem facilities, though.

Some of the brokers that attend are pretty savvy. Those that buy high end cars are the best. They buy a dealer an expensive lemon and they don't work again.

The condition of the car you and the broker will have to determine by visual inspection. You need sharp eyes but if they're sharp you'll learn what you need to know.

After a point, what kind of service a car had years ago is immaterial if the car's in good condition now. Course, you have to be very sure the car's in good condition now.

Broker should have paint thickness gage to detect paint work.

Most large auction facilities have a "test track". Not much, maybe a quarter mile with a sharp turn around at one end. You can really test the car but a good broker and you should be able to learn all you need to know by careful inspection and starting the car and doing a short test drive. (In some locations -- it depends upon the yard and its management and how good a customer the broker is -- some places will let you take car out on the street for a bit of an extended test drive. You can't take car miles away but the test drive can be a bit more than a few drivers down a one lane test track and back again.

If you get to change your mind after a PPI this helps remove some risk.

You still need to know what the market is for these cars so you don't overpay.

Lastly, you have to remember these auctions are generally used to move cars between resellers, unless the auction open to the public.

The auction yard is geared towards keeping these buyers/sellers happy (one auction yard I know of sells over 90K cars per year through its facility and moves through over 130K cars total so there is big money involved).

Thus there can be some resentment if a civilian shows up with the idea he's going to get a nice car at "wholesale". These cars are intended to be turned around and sold at retail and thus the wholesale price is based on what the market will accept on the retail side.

Now if a civilian is interested in a car the bidding may go up so the car sells for more than it would otherwise. The car might still be a good deal but you got to know the market and the prices similiar cars are going for.

When I attended used machinery auctions I attended several to get a feel for the situation before I attempted to bid on anything.

If I were going to buy a car at an auction through a broker I'd do the same. And I'd arrange to visit the yard and some auctions with the broker present to get a chance to observe him as well.

Sincerely,

Rockster.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
I've been to a few Manheim auctions, as I have a friend in the industry, and they don't have test tracks or give much opportunity to do a thorough shake down of a car, unless you have already made such arrangements with the seller beforehand. If a car is unlocked and has keys inside of it, you can move the car a few feet, but don't plan on getting out of first gear. I would imagine that most Turbos are locked, as certain undesirables have a tendency to pull anything out of a car that's not bolted down, and some items that are. (People steal books, tools from toolkits, switches, and even shift ***** on occasion.) Basically, that means that you can inspect the outside as much as you like, and are limited to the interior and listening to the engine when the car is actually in the lane being auctioned. A good purchaser should be able to spot paint work without a gauge, but having one can't hurt. (Sometimes a gauge will give a false positive, as I've seen it happen on new cars straight from the port. It's possible that some cars are dinged at the port, and then repaired, but this was on the whole roof panel. Sometimes there are just variations in the manufacture process.) The bottom line is that you need someone that you trust who is an educated auction purchaser. Don't plan on having a PPI before the dealer has bought the car, without recourse, as auction transactions are rarely undone. If you find certain massive problems with a car, you can go through arbitration. (and I mean MASSIVE) If a car has minor tranny issues, or a leaky turbo, you can't do anything. If the car has a Salvage Title and it was sold as Clear, then you go to arbitration. If it has frame damage that was not disclosed, the you go to arbitration. The only way you'll get a money-back guaranty on a car passing a PPI is if the dealer that buys that car offers such a guaranty directly to you, after they have already purchased the car for their inventory. Once an auction is done, it's pretty much done. Good luck.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:31 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Wow. Manheim auctions sound like the wild west of car auctions.

My experience with car auctions is at the Adesa facility (out in Tracy CA). I know the GM and have been there more than once and have observed a few auctions. (The facility is well-run and a pleasure to visit, if one has permission of course.)

The site has a test track as I described. Most cars are unlocked and have the keys inside. Test drives are ok. Some high end cars are locked and the keys are kept in a secure building. Permission must be obtained before getting a key and taking car for a test drive.

Also, some automakers have their own section on the storage lot (a total of a square mile in area!) in which their cars are hands off to all but just those few with permission to access the lot and cars. Brokers that deal in these cars and their customers would of course receive permission if they asked for it.

Needless to say security is very very tight. Armed guards are present and will stop you and ask for an ID if you don't have one showing.

You can drive almost any car onto the lot without any problem but you need a ton of paperwork to take a car off the lot.

Cars go through an auction line. As the car comes up a lighted sign indicates something about the car: Mileage questionable; as is where is; collision damage; or something less onerous. There are IIRC 6 classifications. Each car takes maybe under a minute to sell. Sometimes there is more than one auction going on at a time.

I plan on going out to the site sometime in the next week or so and will see if I can find out more info about what rights a broker/buyer have in rejecting car after the "sale".

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:33 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Adessa sounds a lot like Manheim in terms of the professionalism in how they move cars. ("They" meaning the auctioneers running through the auction process.) It's pretty intense to see acres upon acres of cars on a major piece of asphalt. Then there is a long skinny building with garage doors on both sides for the lanes. The cars fly in and out, and I'd be shocked if it takes five minutes to get a car done. As you said, "outsiders" are barred, and truckers need all kinds of documentation to haul loads out of there. It's pretty cool for anyone that appreciates the scale and efficiency. (I'm a nerd. I accept it.) Most cars are perfectly described, and the buyer knows what he's getting. There are definitely stories of guys who have spent months in arbitration over some big issues, though. It makes perfect sense if you think about it, though. The auction has no financial interest in buying the car back if it's a lemon. The immediate recourse against a bad seller may be pulling his auction badge, but if he rarely does any volume there, and he has a lot to lose, he'd rather go to court. People stink.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM
TT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant futureTT Gasman has a brilliant future
I bought a truck at auction once, a dealer friend brought us with him, thought we were going to get a good deal. Had a brief chance to look over the truck prior to auction and everything seemed to be "ok". Turned out to be a huge mistake, needed a new engine etc within weeks. Be very careful at auction, unless you know the car, you can get burned.

Last edited by TT Gasman; 01-04-2010 at 04:00 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manheim Auction cars?