996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

DIY Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I'm doing mine myself next time. This is what Walmart did.

Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2010, 08:51 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Going to get an Interstate, although the top of the line batteries at Walmart are supposedly just as good.

I just wonder if it will fit. Going to pick up the Walmart battery tonight, if it doesn't fit I will return it and go to my mechanic tomorrow. $80 for the install is cheap, but he charges wholesale ($120) for the battery.
Sean, I will only charge you $10. Plus wax and detail in all angle of your new battery.
(you need a new mechanic.)

Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
timf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud oftimf has much to be proud of
I changed mine a few months back - kept the electrics live with a battery tender connected to the cigar lighter socket.

Hardest part was reaching over to battery location and physically lifting the old one out.

Quite a weight and you're at arms length.

Maybe I'm just getting old :-)

Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Mulholland996TT is on a distinguished road
Haha.. My mechanic did this for me 2 weeks ago. Put in the interstate, and it works great. Didn't do as good of an installation job as Walmart though

The only Walmart around these parts is in South Central LA anyhow. I can only imagine cruising over there and seeing a Turbo being worked on in their garage...

Old 02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Sean,

Who is your mechanic? $80 is highway robbery Coincidentally, I JUST switched mine out today. I went with DieHard b/c (well it was what came with the car) and it fit perfectly in the stock porsche battery tray. Seriously, DIY it is incredibly easy. If you REALLY don't feel comfortable, I will meet you up at Uptown and do it for you.

Edwin

Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !PrecisionPorsch Is a GOD !
Thanks Chris.

So, no problem with any of the electronics? I read that a way around that issue is to leave the car on a battery tender while doing the swap.
THe only electronics issue is that your clock and radio will be reset. Other than that, I don't know of any other issue out there.

Edwin

Old 02-04-2010, 09:32 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Autozone will get you an optima and also change your battery for free. It is a battery, not an engine!! Just stand with them when they do it to protect your car.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
I need a new battery. My mechanic charges $80 o install and run a "diagnostic."

Can I just install the battery myself?
I've got the "small" interstate in mine. Just bought it and hooked it up. 3 years latter no problems. I use a PCNA tender charger while it's parked. Interstate makes a larger battery also, but it just adds weight unless you live above the artic circle. Diagnostic is to see if your alternator or voltage regulator is messed up. If your battery is more than 5 years old, it prolly the battery and not the othe components. If your car runs after you jump start it, but won't start after you turn it off overnight, it's the battery. Save the $80 a buy a battery.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:10 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
My original battery died last year and I went to pepboys that night with the car and a friend and purchased a bosch battery for $99 and installed it in the parking lot in 5 minutes. that easy. My new battery is more like a marine battery. damm thing weighs 20lbs more than the stocker.

seriously, do it yourself. it is no different than any other car. 80 bucks is highway robbery. they should not charge you more than 20, which is still high for a 10 minute or less job.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ColoradoSilver
Yeah, let us know what you get and how the fitment and install goes.

I've got an 03' and it's got the original battery and it's starting to go and will need replacing soon.

I've also heard that the interstate model is the best.

Looks like model Interstate MTP-91 is what you'll need. Also, about 10 lbs lighter than OEM battery.

Where are you buying from?
Yup, MTP-91 does fit- they will try to tell you the MTP H8 or MTP 94(?) fit, but they are about an inch too long.

Super easy to install with a basic socket set.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Sean do it yourself it will take 5 minutes max.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 AM
s14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to beholds14roller is a splendid one to behold
Like the rest of said, super easy and no different than any other battery I've done...just need to redo radio presets and clock...

Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Steve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud ofSteve's 996 has much to be proud of
It would be a good DIY project for you to undertake. Cover the fender with a blanket or towel and have at it. Just make sure you have your radio code to get it to work after the install. Once you complete this task you will have gained some P-car knowledge and might try other DIY stuff.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
I have been trying to source the battery but the only one who has it is my mechanic, lol. Others can order it but his price is the best.

I am going to buy it from him and install it myself.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
If you want to lighten up weight little with ok cranking amp, look for Optima. It is
-10lb or so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY Battery replacement