996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

car feels wiggley at speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by boca996tt
champion motorsport did my alignment.. I would hope they know porsche.. time to look for a new place
First you should ask what they did. If they gave you an aggressive alignment, with a lot of negative camber, this is what it will feel like. It's not great for the street, but necessary for track use. They should have given you a printout of the specs, or at least kept a record.

Jon

Old 02-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Joe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to beholdJoe Weinstein is a splendid one to behold
I'm with buisa. Get a shop that will corner balance and align the car with you in it,
I just did a shock rebuild, which requires a corner balance, and I run some very
aggressive camber, but getting the weights and ride heights right with my
weight in the seat results in a very calm good handling car:

http://www.sfr-solo.org/solo2/Result...onship/t2.html

Old 02-14-2010, 12:44 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
at speeds over 60 car feels unstable.. feels like it shimmys back and forth.. worse on some roads then others.. thinking its the tires.. but could it be from like a front wheel bearing? steering wheel is pretty solid.. doesnt really shake, but the car feels like its floating back and forth left to right.. any thoughts? Im ready to go buy different brand tires, but dont want to waste the $ if its something other then tires.. alignment was done by champion motorsport,, car is lowered with FVD version PSS9 and it has 19" champion wheels and yokohama tires

does it feel like a land barge, where the reaction is slow and loose. almost scary in the turns? if so it could be suspension members loose either from loose connections, broken part or loose bushings. check your sway bars to see if they are tight. Loose sway bars will give you that uneasy scary feeling of being loose and the rear wanting to go a different direction than the front.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !Mikelly Is a GOD !
I've always felt that these cars need to be corner balanced after a coilover suspension is installed. It's so much more balanced, even on the street.

That said, I'd check the air pressure on the tires, and if you have sway bars that are adjustable, you might stiffen up the front one notch to see if that helps. Then after all that, if it still feels the same, you probably need to get it to the shop.

Once those tires wear out, I'd consider the Pilot Sport RIB tires... I'm over 10K miles and five track days on mine (I use them as back-up tires when my track tires get corded).

Mike

Old 02-14-2010, 06:56 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
car feels wiggley in straight lines.. no issues when taking curves.. I dont have aftermarket suspension pieces other then the FVD PSS9's.. no sway bars no dog bones.. when you do corner balancing the car can look unlevel, uneven.. yes? I had my car adjusted in each corner to measure from the fenders the same from the ground.. rear has a slight lift up so the car doesnt look low when driving... Im sure that has nothing to do with what Im feeling as I drive, its more a appearence issue

Old 02-14-2010, 07:45 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
you sure it's not the sandy soil in your area

you hit a bump, car feels wiggly? etc. If so check for loose components, whether stock or new that can be the issue. There could be so much play in your suspension that you could get the wiggles. Height difference front to back should not make much a difference. But Mike is right, I'd take it to a good shop and have them check it out. something is definitely gone wrong. I have some seriously crap tires and never had that issue.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:48 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
car feels wiggley in straight lines.. no issues when taking curves.. I dont have aftermarket suspension pieces other then the FVD PSS9's.. no sway bars no dog bones.. when you do corner balancing the car can look unlevel, uneven.. yes? I had my car adjusted in each corner to measure from the fenders the same from the ground.. rear has a slight lift up so the car doesnt look low when driving... Im sure that has nothing to do with what Im feeling as I drive, its more a appearence issue
These things really do matter. If the picture in your avatar is your current setup, it looks to me like it has a little too much forward rake. There are some threads that deal with this - see Mike Kelly's sticky on suspensions. It is pretty easy to check the rake: there's an iPhone app for it. No kidding. It measures the angle of the phone. Place it on the doorsill. It should be 1 degree forward.

I agree with Mike (as usual!). Take a little time to look into the suspension settings, then take it to a shop that will corner balance it and set the alignment where you want it. I also agree with you that sway bars are not going to help this problem, because it occurs when you are driving in a straight line.

Jon

Old 02-14-2010, 08:21 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
fast fwd yes thats my car in the photo..again I had the pitch (rake) pitched a little foward so when driving the car is more level then looking tail heavy (low)but I will be lifting the front up a little..too low hitting bumps in the street.. Prche951 car is wiggley driving straight.. car absorbs bumps just fine.. it just seems to find all the grooves in the road and follows them so the car feels like its shimmys left and right.. more so at higher speeds and worst on certain roads like the highways

Last edited by boca996tt; 02-14-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:30 AM
fast fwd yes thats my car in the photo..again I had the pitch (rake) pitched a little foward so when driving the car is more level then looking tail heavy (low)ut I will be lifting the front up a little..too low hitting bumps in the street.. Prche951 car is wiggley driving straight.. car absorbs bumps just fine.. it just seems to find all the grooves in the road and follows them so the car feels like its shimmys left and right.. more so at higher speeds and worst on certain roads like the highways

ahh, I had that problem when stock on my conti's. But the car never felt that bad. It was the typical tire issue you get with certain brands that are to hard, or with tires that are to old and the rubber is hard. What was the last thing you did to the car when the problem started? I would guess the car hasn't felt like this all along?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM
rbuisa is on a distinguished road
and sometimes..on well traveled grooved roads.....it is what it is. My car does the same thing some times. Roads here in the North West, on mountain passes are grooved pretty bad due to people running chains in the winter. The car gets sucked in......I feel it more with AWD. The good news is....I know it's the roads...not the car. Maybe you are over thinking it?

Old 02-14-2010, 08:41 AM
fast fwd yes thats my car in the photo..again I had the pitch (rake) pitched a little foward so when driving the car is more level then looking tail heavy (low)ut I will be lifting the front up a little..too low hitting bumps in the street.. Prche951 car is wiggley driving straight.. car absorbs bumps just fine.. it just seems to find all the grooves in the road and follows them so the car feels like its shimmys left and right.. more so at higher speeds and worst on certain roads like the highways
So that raises another possibility - that you are on the bump stops of the shocks, in which case they don't work right. All of the possibilities people have brought up come down to the same solution - going back and resetting the suspension height and alignment. Your problem will almost certainly go away.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 AM
I dont know if I am over thinking it, on the same roads my rover is fine, my gallardo was solid, but the 996tt feels like its jumping side to side.. but the steering wheel is pretty much solid, no shakes.. weird.. PRCHE951.. I did tires, suspension and alignment all at the same time, did not get to drive it between each mod.

Last edited by boca996tt; 02-14-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 AM
I will be looking for a new shop to do an alignment and adjust my PSS9's.. will ask about corner balancing..

Old 02-14-2010, 08:49 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I'm betting it's a camber or toe issue. I'd take it back to Champion. They may simply have set it up the way they thought you wanted and may be able to set it up right with some feedback?

BTW the car looks HAWT

Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 AM
thanks ARI... will speak to my buddy at champion and see what they can do for me..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: car feels wiggley at speeds