996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 GT2 Stereo + Garage Opener Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM
chill304 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Nice setup! I am doing the garage door mod but in the dash. Has anyone tappped into the car's power instead of using a battery? Cigarette lighter maybe?
I did this in my old '97 Boxster... back then I couldnt find those nifty garage door looking icon buttons, I just bought a door lock switch and buffed the key icon off.

As far as hardwiring the remote, I did this using a simple circuit utilizing a diode and 9v voltage regulator that I picked up from Radio Shack. I have a DIY on a hard drive somewhere, I'll post if I can find.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:35 PM
str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !str8blst Is a GOD !
Well Done!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
mcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud ofmcjoe691 has much to be proud of
Cool mod excellent pictures ! thanks going to try that this week.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:33 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
You've got me interested in this new Pioneer receiver. For others who might be interested I found a forum dedicated to them and there's a TON of vids on eBay showing the features. I don't drive the P-car enough to warrant this I think but maybe if I had this I'd drive it more lol! I am half tempted to get one for my daily Jetta but I might drop that for an A3 so why spend the cash? Damn nice receiver, just not sure what to put it in!

Her'es the forum -> http://avic411.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=56

Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Danyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant futureDanyol has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by chill304
I did this in my old '97 Boxster... back then I couldnt find those nifty garage door looking icon buttons, I just bought a door lock switch and buffed the key icon off.

As far as hardwiring the remote, I did this using a simple circuit utilizing a diode and 9v voltage regulator that I picked up from Radio Shack. I have a DIY on a hard drive somewhere, I'll post if I can find.
My remote used a 12 V cell, I installed it in the center dash console connected it into the "car phone" power +12v feed. It works great!

Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
Originally Posted by luv2flypilot
Thanks for posting the part number for the switched you used. You don't happen to know the part numbers for the blanks? I think I am going to also use your idea for the Bluetooth microphone since I also have a Pioneer AVIC unit and am going to add Bluetooth soon.
Here's a direct link to the switch i used

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...311910A05.html

Here's a linky to another thread that uses this switch.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ink-996-a.html

A little searching and I found this link to a switch blank for you (P99661342510A05)

http://www.pcars.com/porsche_parts/s.../p_146532.html

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by DaveKrek; 02-28-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
Originally Posted by BLKMGK
You've got me interested in this new Pioneer receiver. For others who might be interested I found a forum dedicated to them and there's a TON of vids on eBay showing the features. I don't drive the P-car enough to warrant this I think but maybe if I had this I'd drive it more lol! I am half tempted to get one for my daily Jetta but I might drop that for an A3 so why spend the cash? Damn nice receiver, just not sure what to put it in!

Her'es the forum -> http://avic411.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=56
What really sold me was the fact that you can download the service manual.
This shows the signal that you hack for the brake bypass.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=27189

The next version is coming so this head unit is getting cheap(er).

Cheers
Dave

Last edited by DaveKrek; 02-28-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by 996TWINS
Nice install pics and really like your interior. Will order my switch on Monday.

What kind of camera are you using?
Camera is a Cannon Ti1

Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM
XwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud ofXwalkerX has much to be proud of
great ideas in this thread...

looks killer!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DaveKrek
What really sold me was the fact that you can download the service manual.
This shows the signal that you hack for the brake bypass.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=27189

The next version is coming so this head unit is getting cheap(er).

Cheers
Dave
Heh, if you check out that forum they have the bypass figured out. Move the yellow wire over one in the white plastic connector and ground it and the green wire together A whole sticky thread about it! the $200 rebate is extended to end of this month and 6th street sells this through Amazon cheap but you have to call them to get them to sell direct so you get a valid receipt for the rebate and not an Amazon receipt.

The next version of this is apparently primarily a software upgrade ONLY. It will have a new part number but no new hardware - the interface is apparently nice according to those who saw it at the electronics show. The software should be available for this unit as well for a fee and will likely show up for download in "places".

What's killing me is deciding if I want this unit, and then deciding if it should go in the Porsche or the Jetta daily! It apparently installs easily in the Jetta -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZBt-...eature=related the radio in that GTI is the same as what's in my 2006 Jetta TDI. I drive that more and it has wheel controls but... It would be nice to have in the Porsche too lol. I may tal;k to a local shop and see what they would charge, just not sure I want to do it having done waaay too many radios in the past. It does look like this system has a following and a community of people who really like it so IMO you made an excellent choice! How hard was the wiring? In my case the 911 is all stock and NOT a MOST system, not sure I want to do an amp and speakers and and and... <sigh>

Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 PM
luv2flypilot is on a distinguished road
Blank Switch

Originally Posted by DaveKrek
Here's a direct link to the switch i used

A little searching and I found this link to a switch blank for you (P99661342510A05)

http://www.pcars.com/porsche_parts/s.../p_146532.html

Cheers
Dave
Much appreciated. I was searching and searching. Thanks again!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by luv2flypilot
Much appreciated. I was searching and searching. Thanks again!
My pleasure. I could not have completed this install without all the information found on this forum and others. Many thanks to all that take the time to share the DIY's.

Now all we need is a little summer.

Cheers
Dave

Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Wired Mine Up Today!

I wired up my garage and gate controller today. I ended up putting it in the dash and temporarily & used my rear spoiler switch since it was not being used since I have a fixed GT2 carbon fiber wing. I will swap it out once the 996-613-119-10-A0 garage door switch arrives that I ordered.

I found another post where someone used a single switch to control both his garage door and the security gate to his housing development. It was pretty easy and I cut the wires off the switch connector and re-used all the conductors so it will make for an easy swap when the switch arrives. I was also able to keep the two exterior posts connected on the switch that allows it to light up when my lights are on.

Great post and appreciate all the info. Soon I will be adding a Bluetooth and Sirius module to my Pioneer AVIC NAV unit and should be good to go.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Where did you tap your power from?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
I just kept the batteries

Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Where did you tap your power from?
I just went ahead and left the batteries powering the PC boards. It is such a quick and easy battery replacement with the ease of getting to the back of the switches, I just figured I would leave them as is. I believe one was 3 V and I would have had to make a trip to Radio Shack to step down the power with a resistor and a small circuit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT2 Stereo + Garage Opener Upgrade