996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996 GT2 Stereo + Garage Opener Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:25 AM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
996 GT2 Stereo + Garage Opener Upgrade

My GT2 came with an upgraded Amp and speakers. Unfortunately the head unit screen died. I installed a pioneer AVICZ110B nav system. Here are some picts.

Before:

During...

I built a shelf out of a box and some plastic stock. This was invaluable for testing. Simple too.

After...

You can set your boot screen:

Nav:

Ipod:

The head unit has Ipod, DVD, CD, HD radio (extra box), Nav, Backup camera and Bluetooth.

Camera...

Garage door mod...

Switches are PN 996-613-119-10-A05, ordered from SunCoast Porsche.
Circuit board is removed from Liftmaster remote case. A few wires and you have a cool mod. This will work with the ash tray insert as well.

Last edited by DaveKrek; 02-27-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:07 AM
fdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud offdorn has much to be proud of
Perfect - thanks. Very nicely done.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Great job, man. Nice setup!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
I would love that garage door mod. Nicely done.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Nice setup! I am doing the garage door mod but in the dash. Has anyone tappped into the car's power instead of using a battery? Cigarette lighter maybe?

Old 02-27-2010, 02:58 PM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Thats awesome, I just hide my garage opener under the dash with some sticky velcro. Easily reachable from the drivers seat(just stuck it to the heat/ac ducting), I just hated the opener hanging on my visor or opening the glove box to access it.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM
luv2flypilot is on a distinguished road
Nice Job!

Very nice job. I think I am going to do the same thing for my garage opener. You interested in selling the old black blank buttons you took out of your ashtray delete? I have two in my dash that I don't use anymore that I was thinking would look better to delete them with blanks (rear wiper & rear spoiler).

Old 02-27-2010, 04:14 PM
BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !BLKMGK Is a GOD !
Will that head unit charge and control an iPhone 3GS? I'd love to be able to handle my iPhone in the P-car and Nav would be welcomed too. Your install came out VERY clean I have to say.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Etchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond reputeEtchhead has a reputation beyond repute
Love the Porsche emblem on the screen! Sweet setup, and those are some healthy looking amps, how much power are you driving around? Are those custom sub boxes as well?
Great install!

Old 02-27-2010, 05:26 PM
996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute996TWINS has a reputation beyond repute
Nice install pics and really like your interior. Will order my switch on Monday.

What kind of camera are you using?

Old 02-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
beautiful. nice integration of sport and utility. especially like the roll bar / speaker box integration.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:59 PM
DaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really niceDaveKrek is just really nice
Thanks for the kind words. I took my time and spent a few weeks working slowly (There is still 4 feet of snow in front of the garage). The install kit was from http://www.euromotorspeed.com/servlet/StoreFront who now appear closed. That's to bad as their install kit was a huge help.

You can use any jpg file as the startup screen. My latest is the new GT3R Hybrid.

I did not install the amp and speakers. A previous owner had this done and let me say they did a very nice job. The amps are from

http://www.xtant.com/archives/html/products/X604e.cfm
http://www.xtant.com/archives/html/products/X1001e.cfm

Very powerful and absolutely no hiss. Audio is the best I've heard in a car.

The Subs are custom. They lay in the seat locations.

Camera is http://mobile.audiovox.com/audiovox/...UCT_ID=ACA200W

I used a wireless interface that sucks. I need to find a local expert to help me route the wires to the head unit. Anyone in Mpls ?

One thing I like about the pioneer is the integration with my iPhone. They just added AVIC feeds as an Iphone app.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...oad+AVIC+FEEDS

I have a 3G and I will test the charge ability.

I've used up the blanks for various mods. I installed the mic for the bluetooth in one. Here's a pic

Last edited by DaveKrek; 02-27-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
Nice setup! I am doing the garage door mod but in the dash. Has anyone tappped into the car's power instead of using a battery? Cigarette lighter maybe?
This may not be a good idea. The car is 12V and the remote is 3V. You may need the battery to remember the codes.

The switches can control two doors each. You can wire two to run 4 doors.

I have 5

Old 02-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Hogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond reputeHogapalooza has a reputation beyond repute
Very nice! It really looks good, thanks for taking the time to take pics and do the write up.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:37 PM
luv2flypilot is on a distinguished road
Nice Mods!

Thanks for posting the part number for the switched you used. You don't happen to know the part numbers for the blanks? I think I am going to also use your idea for the Bluetooth microphone since I also have a Pioneer AVIC unit and am going to add Bluetooth soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996 GT2 Stereo + Garage Opener Upgrade