996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Tire Suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM
rh888888 will become famous soon enoughrh888888 will become famous soon enough
Tire Suggestions

I need new tires any suggestions and do they need to be porsche rated.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:45 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rh888888
I need new tires any suggestions and do they need to be porsche rated.
You want to give us a hint as to how you are going to use the tires?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:49 PM
ETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant futureETW 360 has a brilliant future
Lots of threads on this. What do you have now? Can't go wrong with PS2s

Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Steve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really niceSteve01tt is just really nice
While the Michelin PS2's are the tire everyone else measures themselves by I could not bring myself to spend $1,600 to replace my existing set. Not that I can't afford them, there is still money left in my kids college fund even after the spending spree I've been on since buying this car.

After reading every prior thread on here and further researching likely candidates, I ordered a set of Hankook Ventus V12's at my local tire shop and will end up less than $800 installed. Several board sponsors also sell them even cheaper. I do 3-4 DE's and an equal number of autocross events a year as well as daily driving. These seem to be a good all around tire. I will not do the Texas Mile, drag race, or care if I'm the fastest on the track so tire performance to the 'nth degree is not critical to me. For what it is worth here is what Car and Driver had to say about them. Good luck. The number of choices is mindboggling.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

Old 03-26-2010, 07:50 PM
rh888888 will become famous soon enoughrh888888 will become famous soon enough
Street use. What about this Porsche rating.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
The Porsche rating is based on extensive test results on the car. It doesn't mean the tires are better than other tires that are not Porsche rated, it just means they have not been tested. I put Bridgestone Pole Position 2's on my 993 and they out handled and out lasted any Porsche rated tire. I have Porsche rated Conti 2's on my 996tt and they didn't last or handle that well. Seek a consensus of other board member with both your car, your wheels, suspension/modifications and intended use to assist you in your decision.

Last edited by Duane996tt; 03-29-2010 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Steve01tt
While the Michelin PS2's are the tire everyone else measures themselves by I could not bring myself to spend $1,600 to replace my existing set. Not that I can't afford them, there is still money left in my kids college fund even after the spending spree I've been on since buying this car.

After reading every prior thread on here and further researching likely candidates, I ordered a set of Hankook Ventus V12's at my local tire shop and will end up less than $800 installed. Several board sponsors also sell them even cheaper. I do 3-4 DE's and an equal number of autocross events a year as well as daily driving. These seem to be a good all around tire. I will not do the Texas Mile, drag race, or care if I'm the fastest on the track so tire performance to the 'nth degree is not critical to me. For what it is worth here is what Car and Driver had to say about them. Good luck. The number of choices is mindboggling.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
My brother swears by these tires on his track prepped vette! I'll probably give them a try as well.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:21 AM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
nitto invo's

Old 03-27-2010, 11:14 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I use Kumho Ecstas. Not terribly popular here, but I've been happy with them. I have 13k miles on the rears, and they'll be replaced soon. Fronts still look brand new.

These tires see no track time. I use Michel PSC's for that.

Jon

Old 03-27-2010, 12:29 PM
911stripper has a spectacular aura about911stripper has a spectacular aura about
i found that sumitomos are the best bang for the buck hands down

Old 03-27-2010, 01:09 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Please call me. I'll be happy to get you into what works best.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Please call me. I'll be happy to get you into what works best.
+1 to TireRack. I love that their Nevada distribution center is only 35 miles from my house. Every time I order tires from you guys I have them the next morning!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:27 PM
STL 996TT will become famous soon enough
Hankooks

I bought the Hankooks from Damon at Tire Rack. Good price and got them quick. He was also very helpful on the phone. They are moderately sticky and handle fairly well.

However, I have to say that after 3000 miles, I'm really disappointed that they are already starting to get noisy. Only the rears so far, but I get that whiny drone you typically hear from a well worn performance tire.

I had PS2s before and the rears were down to 10% and made no noise at all. I'll be going back to Michelins after I chew these up on an upcoming track day.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by boca996tt
nitto invo's
I've also heard good things about the Invo's.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:22 PM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 911stripper
i found that sumitomos are the best bang for the buck hands down
I bought a set of Sumitomo HTRZ IIIs. I'm a huge Bridgestone RE11 fan, but they don't make one wide enough for the rears...

I have NO complaints about the Sumis. My car is just driven on the street, and they seem to have really good grip.

That being said, when I upgrade my wheels in the future, I'll probably go with the PS2 (assuming Bridgestone hasn't offered a wider 18" tire). No other reason than their reputation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire Suggestions