996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

In-car camera security system, yay or nay?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 04:51 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
In-car camera security system, yay or nay?

Realizing my dream of Turbo ownership in about 3 weeks when I get to head up to Seattle and pick up the gorgeous Biarritz White Turbo from 292. With it comes the paranoia.

From my past car ownership, the more flashy cars have gotten keyed (bright red RX-7 and Supra Turbo with the big rear spoiler) or egged (bright red E36 M3), while the more conservative looking cars were spared. I am thinking a Turbo with aerokit and gold wheels might fall under the flashy side.

Started investigating into in-car camera security systems as a mean of deterrence, or at least be able to film the perpetrator in the act.

Found the Mobile Watchman EDR http://www.mobilewatchman.com

Seems to offer almost 360 degrees of coverage with 4 in car cameras, is motion activated and records to a SD card.

Anyone ever had this or a similar system installed in their car (doesn't have to be the Turbo)? Care to share your experience with the usefulness of this type of product?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
If you can't see it, don't park it.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:51 AM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
i'd get a car cover and alarm. key is being discreet.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:12 AM
derMaximilian is on a distinguished road
I think it depends a lot on where you live and what your neighbours drive . As my turbo doesn't fit into my garage (don't know if you guys know duplex-parking?) I have to park her outside day&night. Same with some of my previous cars (including an SL55 and BMW Z4) - nothing happened so far, but there is barely any crime/vandalism in Munich...if I would live in Berlin for example I wouldn't even park outside for an hour.

The camera system looks good though...

Old 03-29-2010, 01:52 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the replies. The car will be parked inside a garage when it's at home. I am concerned for times when I do have to leave the car momentarily unattended at public parking lots (trips to the supermarket, eating out at restaurants, etc.).

My neighbors are fine, but the town I live in has a lot of kids in lifted trucks. People familiar with Inland Empire part of Southern California should know about these "bros." I suspect some of them simply don't like flashy import sports cars.

I doubt it has much to do with the value of the cars either. My daily driven red E36 M3 was worth about $15k when it was egged while my silver grey E46 M3 (worth ~$45k at the time) never ran into any problems. Let's just hope the general public doesn't see a white Turbo as being too flashy...